List of so called "influencers" doing machine shop or manufacturing videos ? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 4GSR View Post
    A big plus for Edge Precision - Peter Stanton. Not many out there that go to the extreme of making their own tooling to get a job done. He definitely thinks out of the box. A lot of the parts he makes, I can speculate what they are used for and probably come close to being correct of their use. I've designed similar parts for in my past that have required some of the machining that he does. Ken

+1 on Peter Stanton / Edge precision*

His type of parts and geometries are super relevant to what we do and need and need to further build upon (except smaller in scale).

You probably know this , he's within reasonable distance of achieving 50,000 subs on youtube (right "Now" he's at 40.8 K ) and he's wanting to make this pretty nice / fairly massive anvil as a giveaway - when he reaches 50K subscribers ,

(Seems like a nice design, GOOD material ). [Picking an Anvil as a "Topic" will probably bump Edge Precision (channel) over the 50K-Subs mark.]

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

* As I understand it he sold the shop he's working out of with his upscale integrex, and doesn't really need to do any of this so the videos maintain his interest and he wants to share what he's doing so someone else can actually learn something. [In some sense it IS frustrating that someone that has a life time of experience in such a field normally would take such knowledge to the grave... So I think we the "Viewer" eager to learn get the better end of the deal.]. In Peter's case the supposed monetization helps buy better camera and sound equipment etc. and his videos in terms of lighting, photography and editing and sound and content are getting better and better ~ I think he enjoys the challenge of raising his game for that medium + sharing various current technical machining challenges he has going on and hence also chooses HIS preferred methods or methods that enable him to show his audience completely different techniques that he hasn't shown before just as a new learning possibility for his audience (i.e. not always the most efficient method in a balls out (to the wall) industrial context but a lot of times just a really nice way to do something.).

ALSO + 1 on SolidRock Machine Shop (generally not enough on approaches to grinding, tool making and Wire EDM** (and related) on YouTube IMO.) so SolidRock Machine Shop is a real 'Oasis" in that regard.

** ReliableEDM guys have some good stuff out there on the Tube of You.
    Last edited by cameraman; 10-31-2019 at 02:55 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Definitely not nyccnc...that guy is a hack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Two faves for machining, not so much selling influence, are Stephan Gotteswinter and Clickspring. Liked Abom's videos when he worked for Motion. Not so much now.

L7

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    By influencer I mean someone that is providing solid info but also hoping to "influence" what you might purchase in the future. ...
    So you are looking for not just good shop info but those selling or pushing some product or services on top?
    I assume T-shirts don't count.
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    So you are looking for not just good shop info but those selling or pushing some product or services on top?
    I assume T-shirts don't count.
    Not exactly "selling" or "pushing" but.... "influencing"... as in Don Bailey not pushing anything directly but there is some hope to influence future purchases of Suburban magnetic chucks. In his case probably mostly doing it for fun and good will ...but a little product placement publicity doesn't hurt.

6. Likes tim9lives liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zahnrad Kopf View Post
    That said, I'm a fan of Peter's work. ( @peterlstanton ) However, your statement literally evoked a verbal response of, "Are you fscking kidding me?" I can easily name ten other shops that make their own tooling, commonly. ( besides myself, in our shop ) More, if I think about it.

It's literally what Tool Makers do...
    I think he meant of those who post content for others to enjoy and learn. As you say, there are a lot of very talented toolmakers around, but unless you apprentice under one, most of don't get a chance to see or learn that skillful part of the trade.

8. Likes Dumpster_diving, tim9lives liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    John Saunders (NYC CNC) for sure.

Maybe Jay Pierson?

In the world of Youtube channels, there are a lot of sponsorship and monetization deals going on. I found out what my old college buddy makes streaming himself playing videogames on Youtube (or maybe Twitch?) and I get it. I could make more money a doing shop tours and building my race car with sponsor-supplied parts than I could as a scientist or machinist.
    IIRC saunders doesnt get paid advertising money. from all the videos i've seen, he's been pretty fair in his reviews of different products. he comes off more as a guy that just loves showing cool shit to people

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by plastikdreams View Post
    bold words...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another vote for Edge Precision. I really enjoy his videos.
    Not sure if his channel qualifies as an influencer though,but his a lot of stuff he does is really interesting on that Mazak. Definitely thinks outside the box a lot and has given me an idea or two on occasion.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by empwoer View Post
    bold words...

Just my opinion

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can't wait to tell my girlfriend I'm not the only one who sits around all night watching youtube machining videos.

Yes Edge Precision and Zula Machine are my two favorite machining sites with AVE in there too. Did you see the Zala Machine video where they showed the aftermath of a turret crash that ripped the turret completely off the machine? Man oh man. Can't imagine.

On a slightly different note, I think a lot of folks around here would get a huge kick out of The Lock Picking Lawyer. You'll never think the same way about locks again. Master Lock Company definitely hates this guy. Nothing like someone legitimately showing what crap we're all being sold under the guise of "High Security." Half the time he's opening stuff without even bothering with the actual key or lock mechanism. Check out when he saws apart a fireproof home safe. You'll laugh the whole way through. And be astounded! I do and am on nearly all his videos. Like AVE he never shows himself. Only hands and arms and occasional feet. Nothing fancy. To the point and out.

Dave

14. Likes dalmatiangirl61, 4GSR, Philabuster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 13engines View Post
    Can't wait to tell my girlfriend I'm not the only one who sits around all night watching youtube machining videos.
    Friend ribs me on that too "you spend the day working on stuff, then go home and watch people work on stuff?"

16. Likes 4GSR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    Friend ribs me on that too "you spend the day working on stuff, then go home and watch people work on stuff?"
    After 35 years of marriage, she used to it. At least, she knows I'm not hanging out in the local pub but buried in the shop somewhere!

18. Likes dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I liked Abom 79 until he finished at Motion industries and went full time from his home shop, …..when to me (as in purely personal) his videos changed and again to me, seemed to become more money driven, which put me off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by plastikdreams View Post
    That idiot couldn’t machine the crust off bread.

21. Likes cyanidekid, reggie_obe, Doozer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by workin stiff View Post
    That idiot couldn’t machine the crust off bread.
    I believe he has a video of machining a pumpkin.....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Montana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The welding co's seem to like to send video makers stuff. Makeitextreme is sponsored my Migtronic, Jimmy Diresta is sponsored from here to the moon including Lincoln. No harm in it imo as long as they don't constantly beat you over the head with it, or use it if it's crap. When Dewalt etc etc emails and says they want to send you a palate of free shit the dude abides.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 3t3d View Post
    AVE in Canada started out here...

As user Superunknown
    Good catch! Here's the first forum post from him I could find: 2 dollar Arduino-esk industrial control for high pressure hydraulics

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What I don't understand is This Old Tony has almost 700 thousand subscribers and Edge Precision has 50 thousand.
    Should't it be the other way around ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rustytool View Post
    What I don't understand is This Old Tony has almost 700 thousand subscribers and Edge Precision has 50 thousand.
    Should't it be the other way around ?
    Not really, ones a hobby channel and the other is real work. I doubt there are 700,000 people that could comprehend what Peter Stanton is doing

All the nonsense is what sells and that's why that is what's on tv. While I wish Peter the best I like when good channels like his are small, much less static. That's the kind of stuff that makes channels boring when they start catering to the masses, I'm not interested in the differences of climb and conventional milling. I learned that when I was a kid and don't need to waste my time watching explanations and definitions of basics.

27. Likes DavidR8, rustytool, Philabuster, Peter S liked this post