List of so called "influencers" doing machine shop or manufacturing videos ? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rustytool View Post
    What I don't understand is This Old Tony has almost 700 thousand subscribers and Edge Precision has 50 thousand.
    Should't it be the other way around ?
    I haven't seen Edge Precision, but This Old Tony is hilarious and his level of production is super high. His camera work and editing are better than any other YouTube machinist except for maybe ClickSpring and I like Tony's style more. I don't watch it to learn how to do something but to laugh out loud at the humor.

Teryk

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

2. Likes DavidR8, awander, tim9lives liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bruce Whitham, many broken bolt and tap removal hints.
    UserWl2850 awesome cuts in tough metals.
    Shadon HKW surface grinding tips.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Montana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Milacron, why do you ask about influencers? Random curiosity, or should we be looking for the PM logo stealthily hidden in the next This Old Tony video?

5. Likes MattiJ, BoxcarPete, eKretz liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is a great thread for new YT channels! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hardplates View Post
    Not really, ones a hobby channel and the other is real work. I doubt there are 700,000 people that could comprehend what Peter Stanton is doing

All the nonsense is what sells and that's why that is what's on tv. While I wish Peter the best I like when good channels like his are small, much less static. That's the kind of stuff that makes channels boring when they start catering to the masses, I'm not interested in the differences of climb and conventional milling. I learned that when I was a kid and don't need to waste my time watching explanations and definitions of basics.
    Edge does some pretty extreme stuff, and explains it like it's no big deal. A worthwhile watch to see job shopping on the next level.

8. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The previous posters are correct. As professionals, we probably think other folks would be drawn to YouTube videos for education on the trade. But, I think for 99% of people, it's just entertainment. The really successful YouTube channels are the most entertaining. But the "best" are the ones that are entertaining and educational. I suppose AvE fits that model, though his language surely limits his appeal.

Guys who specifically target hobbyists are pretty successful. ThisOldTony, MrPete222, maybe NYCCNC, etc.

Edge Precision is definitely working at a high level, but I find his videos hard to watch. The same with that guy Joe Pieczynski. He has good info, but I don't think he's very likeable. Every video is like being lectured by a drill sergeant.

The absolute worst "influencer" types I have found are the homesteading channels. I can't watch them. Every video is pimping some revolutionary do-dad to use on their supposed farm.

10. Likes Steven-Canada, ernieflash, Garwood, jkopel liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    The absolute worst "influencer" types I have found are the homesteading channels. I can't watch them. Every video is pimping some revolutionary do-dad to use on their supposed farm.
    Mr. "Axe snob" WranglerStar comes to mind immediately.

As for the reason for this question I suspect he was asked by those that do the articles for the site for their next piece. You do read the articles right? Just like Playboy?

12. Likes Steven-Canada, ernieflash liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The previous posters are correct. As professionals, we probably think other folks would be drawn to YouTube videos for education on the trade. But, I think for 99% of people, it's just entertainment. The really successful YouTube channels are the most entertaining. But the "best" are the ones that are entertaining and educational. I suppose AvE fits that model, though his language surely limits his appeal.

Guys who specifically target hobbyists are pretty successful. ThisOldTony, MrPete222, maybe NYCCNC, etc.

Edge Precision is definitely working at a high level, but I find his videos hard to watch. The same with that guy Joe Pieczynski. He has good info, but I don't think he's very likeable. Every video is like being lectured by a drill sergeant.

NYCCNC and Grimsmo knives were absolutely instrumental in my journey into the machining world. those guys might not be 'experts' by many's standards, but they make it so much easier to get into the industry. i owe a lot of my success to them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whether you like NYCCNC or not, you have to admit he is getting some great factory and shop tours of other companies. That is what I mainly watch his channel for.

15. Likes empwoer, iMillJoe, Peter S liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John Saunders (NYCCNC) must be doing something well....he has a shop full of new or nearly-new equipment, and seems to be adding more machines all the time!

Yet in his videos, I never see enough machined parts being worked on or packed to even pay his power bill...??

Either YouTube and the sponsers are making him fat with cash, or grandpa/dad did...?

For the auto-mechanic buffs out there, check out Scotty Kilmer's channel. He gives the scoop on vehicles, how to diagnose and repair, tips and tricks, and brands/models to avoid. And he's quite energetic and enterataining!

ToolCat

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I believe John Saunders uses the shop for a combination of his videos, manufacturing a few proprietary products he invented/sells, as well providing CNC skills classes under a state of OH jobs training program.

18. Likes empwoer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpster_diving View Post
    I believe John Saunders uses the shop for a combination of his videos, manufacturing a few proprietary products he invented/sells, as well providing CNC skills classes under a state of OH jobs training program.
    what he said ^^^

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rustytool View Post
    What I don't understand is This Old Tony has almost 700 thousand subscribers and Edge Precision has 50 thousand.
    Should't it be the other way around ?
    I watched a couple Edge Precision vids last night, just my opinion, he does some cool stuff, but he comes across kind of dry and monotone. The 3d modeling is cool, but since I'm not a cnc programmer, I really don't understand what he is doing.

I cut the cable cord over a decade ago, watching other people work and solve problems, and seeing different ways to do something gives me ideas on how to tackle problems I've encountered in my shop. Some of the neophytes really impress me, they don't have the right tools, they go about doing something that I would think would never work, and they manage to pull it off fairly well.

Joe Pie may not be the most personable character, and yeah he does come off as drill sergeant, but I like his approach to solutions. Watched a couple Solid Rock vids last night, subscribed, good info on grinding.

21. Likes Steven-Canada liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zahnrad Kopf View Post
    I do not watch youtube. At all. No time for it. ( don't watch TV either, save for the news )

That said, I'm a fan of Peter's work. ( @peterlstanton ) However, your statement literally evoked a verbal response of, "Are you fscking kidding me?" I can easily name ten other shops that make their own tooling, commonly. ( besides myself, in our shop ) More, if I think about it.

It's literally what Tool Makers do...
    I read that post and thought, gee, maybe I should post some of the stuff I make online... I make quite a few tools in house, otherwise I couldn't get the work done... no one makes the cutters I need. If it is a production job, I prototype out a cutter, make sure it works, take a few sample pieces and the cutter I made to my tool grinder and have a few carbides made up.

My wife keeps griping at me to get with the times and start posting pictures and videos of the work I do. Hell, I just figured out what Instagram IS... 90% I see on it, I can't fathom what purpose it serves.

23. Likes TheOldCar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post
    For the auto-mechanic buffs out there, check out Scotty Kilmer's channel. He gives the scoop on vehicles, how to diagnose and repair, tips and tricks, and brands/models to avoid. And he's quite energetic and enterataining!

ToolCat
    You have to be kidding. I believe that YouTube finally pulled his brake line repair video where he used brass compression fittings to fix a rusted brake line. That's 100% illegal in every state I know of. Jalopnik did an article on that video where they found the fittings he used and it clearly says on the package "not for use on brake lines".

His justification was that he bought them at Auto Zone, so they must be OK for cars. Over 1 million people saw that POS video.

Meanwhile extremely talented auto mechanic channels like New Level Auto get a tiny fraction of his views.

Read this article: This Emmy-Award Winning YouTube Mechanic Is Full Of Shit

25. Likes Steven-Canada liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post
    John Saunders (NYCCNC) must be doing something well....he has a shop full of new or nearly-new equipment, and seems to be adding more machines all the time!

Yet in his videos, I never see enough machined parts being worked on or packed to even pay his power bill...??
    I don't want to beat the same dead horse, but I could not agree more.

My gripe is not how he got his money, or how he spends it. But I don't like that he pretends that it's a business model that anyone can replicate. He has multiple videos on the "business side of machining". But that doesn't seem to be his business at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

He has multiple videos on the "business side of machining". But that doesn't seem to be his business at all.
    He makes a lot of "things" for Tormach machines. I didn't know there were that many tormachs in the world, but it seems to be paying well.

All – Saunders Machine Works

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lastrada View Post
    He makes a lot of "things" for Tormach machines. I didn't know there were that many tormachs in the world, but it seems to be paying well.

All – Saunders Machine Works
    he also makes pallets and other work holding stuff. like any business, i'm sure he has proprietary work that he cant post online. just because he doesnt post EVERYTHING, doesnt mean that he's not doing stuff.

Country
    LATVIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by empwoer View Post
    ...Grimsmo knives were absolutely instrumental in my journey into the machining world...
    I don't want to start a debate, BUT
    if only I could forget seeing him making titanium screws from flat sheets on a tormach with like 95% of stock going into chips, and he didn't cut rectangle cross section strips to make most out of the material, he laid the sheet flat on the table and just milled off everything leaving screws standing like studs, and braking expensive thread mills in the process, I know he isn't doing that stuff any more, has some expensive equipment now, but I just can't unsee what I've seen, can't watch his content at all

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jz79 View Post
    I don't want to start a debate, BUT
    if only I could forget seeing him making titanium screws from flat sheets on a tormach with like 95% of stock going into chips, and he didn't cut rectangle cross section strips to make most out of the material, he laid the sheet flat on the table and just milled off everything leaving screws standing like studs, and braking expensive thread mills in the process, I know he isn't doing that stuff any more, has some expensive equipment now, but I just can't unsee what I've seen, can't watch his content at all
    nobody was born with knowledge and experience bro...