List of so called "influencers" doing machine shop or manufacturing videos ? - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by empwoer View Post
    he also makes pallets and other work holding stuff. like any business, i'm sure he has proprietary work that he cant post online. just because he doesnt post EVERYTHING, doesnt mean that he's not doing stuff.
    nobody was born with knowledge and experience bro...

Real machinists know real machinists.

Abom is a real machinist, a manual machinist...I've actually learned some lathe tips from him that are great.

John saunders is a hack, if you have enough crash clips to make a decent length video in one or 2 years you need to find another hobby.

Someone who makes knives or trinkets isn't a machinist. If they inspire you, that's all well and good.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by plastikdreams View Post

if you have enough crash clips to make a decent length video in one or 2 years you need to find another hobby.
    I was thinking the same thing, always wondered if he knows what single block mode is or how to proof out a program.....and running a simulation isn't proofing a program in my book. It's a useful tool but not a substitute for knowing how to read G code.

3. Likes Jt-Precision liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Abom is a real machinist, a manual machinist...I've actually learned some lathe tips from him that are great.

John saunders is a hack, if you have enough crash clips to make a decent length video in one or 2 years you need to find another hobby.

Someone who makes knives or trinkets isn't a machinist. If they inspire you, that's all well and good.
    how do you define a 'real machinist'?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Robin Renzetti doesn't do many youtube videos any more - way more instagram - but I think he has a lot of influence.

I suspect that some of these channels/instagram streams function as a kind of deep advertizing. In fact I saw a thread on another forum where somebody need a small precision thing made, and Renzetti's name came up.... Not for selling anything, but for the service.... Across the country....

(How many folks send work to Keith Fenner after seeing something on Turnwright machine channel and then thinking "HE could fix the damn thing"... - and he's shown some stuff he outright said was sponsored....)

This Old Tony clearly has something deep in his background - his videos have always had very high production values (and jokes) and he clearly has a couple of demanding hobbies (trials bikes?) - wonder what his day job really is (or if he has or needs one)

Jody Collier is openly selling welding stuff, but in some ways even lower key than Don Bailey.

6. Likes Steven-Canada liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

IIRC saunders doesnt get paid advertising money. from all the videos i've seen, he's been pretty fair in his reviews of different products. he comes off more as a guy that just loves showing cool shit to people
    no, he comes off as a total jackass. or at least he did the first and last time I watched 3 years ago.

8. Likes Jt-Precision, reggie_obe liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cyanidekid View Post
    no, he comes off as a total jackass. or at least he did the first and last time I watched 3 years ago.
    not sure how/why, he seems like a very down to earth guy, unlike titan...

10. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mTeryk View Post
    I haven't seen Edge Precision, but This Old Tony is hilarious and his level of production is super high. His camera work and editing are better than any other YouTube machinist except for maybe ClickSpring and I like Tony's style more. I don't watch it to learn how to do something but to laugh out loud at the humor.

Teryk

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    his "humor" is why I can't watch.

12. Likes ewlsey, ernieflash liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sure are plenty of good channels out there. One that I've enjoyed for a while now is Engels Coach Shop. Mostly wagon wheels and coach parts. He's quite a craftsman. Reminds me of a patternmaker I worked for. Amazing how much money can be had for making videos.

14. Likes Kyle Smith, macgyver liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not to burst any bubbles, but anyone who makes things with machine tools is a "real machinist". Some may be better than others. Some may be smarter than others. Some may be faster at it than others. Some may be more efficient than others. And some may make more money at it than others. Heck, some may make no money at all.

But they are all REAL machinists.

how do you define a 'real machinist'?

16. Likes empwoer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don Bailey's videos are among my favorites. I have learned a lot from them. And they are short and to the point which is good as far as I am concerned. Is he an "influencer"? Of course he is. He is plugging his company's products. He does not make any secret of that. But they are informative and certainly enjoyable.

I see nothing wrong with "influencer" videos. I often read magazines ads as intently as the articles in those magazines. You can learn a lot that way. At least, I do.

It's a commercial world. You need to learn to live in it. Live with it!

18. Likes empwoer, reggie_obe liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EPAIII View Post
    Not to burst any bubbles, but anyone who makes things with machine tools is a "real machinist". Some may be better than others. Some may be smarter than others. Some may be faster at it than others. Some may be more efficient than others. And some may make more money at it than others. Heck, some may make no money at all.

thats kinda what i was leading towards... i dont get the whole thing of putting someone down because they might do something differently. so much ego floating around...

20. Likes DavidR8 liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

IIRC Saunders doesn't get paid advertising money. from all the videos i've seen, he's been pretty fair in his reviews of different products. he comes off more as a guy that just loves showing cool shit to people
    Don't be so quick to believe that.

Tormach was or still is a sponsor
    Haas maybe
    Autodesk Fusion ? probably

Every amazon link to the webpage earns a % if you buy it.
    Probably the xometry purchases get a commission too.

22. Likes Jt-Precision, reggie_obe liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've successfully removed imbedded metal from eyeballs more than once, does that make me an REAL ophthalmologist?

I've successfully made dies before, does that make me a REAL tool and die maker?

I've written code before, does that make me a REAL computer programmer?

Let me answer these for you, NO!!!! The only reason I was successful at these tasks was because I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express!!

Before making an absolute statement stop and try thinking about it and if it makes sense from a different angle!

Just because someone makes something real doesn't earn them the title associated with being an expert and professional.

24. Likes reggie_obe, neanderthal mach liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Edge Precision

Edge Precision is a master at his craft
    Some of the parts he makes out of Duplex ,he makes look like he is cutting cold rolled.
    the complexity of hid parts and his matter of fact attitude is mind boggling.

26. Likes Steven-Canada liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EPAIII View Post

Crack is a powerful drug ..

thats kinda what i was leading towards... i dont get the whole thing of putting someone down because they might do something differently. so much ego floating around...
    There's a difference between doing it different and being a fuck up.

Doing something different and getting to the same end as what I would get to doing it my way or the way epa would do it is how it works, hell maybe the different way is faster or easier or both.

Doing it differently like John saunders is going to cost you a bunch in tooling and probably ruin your machine.

When it all boils down, I could be a hack you could be a hack digger Doug could be a hack, difference between us and you tube hacks is we don't put it out there for everyone to see.

28. Likes Hardplates, reggie_obe, Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Crack is a powerful drug ..

There's a difference between doing it different and being a fuck up.

Doing something different and getting to the same end as what I would get to doing it my way or the way epa would do it is how it works, hell maybe the different way is faster or easier or both.

Doing it differently like John saunders is going to cost you a bunch in tooling and probably ruin your machine.

When it all boils down, I could be a hack you could be a hack digger Doug could be a hack, difference between us and you tube hacks is we don't put it out there for everyone to see.
    I am shocked at what people put out on the internet. But it is a good way for people to learn. If I watch someone else’s stupid mistake there is a chance I might not make that stupid mistake. And let’s face it, we all make stupid mistakes.

That being said, I think your clarifying point should be the difference between a “real good machinist” vs “real machinist”. I’ve worked with career machinists and Tool & Die makers that sucked far worse than some of the people you mentioned. But they were real, they were professionals, in the trade. And they were terrible.

30. Likes empwoer, bryan_machine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    You have to be kidding. I believe that YouTube finally pulled his brake line repair video where he used brass compression fittings to fix a rusted brake line. That's 100% illegal in every state I know of. Jalopnik did an article on that video where they found the fittings he used and it clearly says on the package "not for use on brake lines".

His justification was that he bought them at Auto Zone, so they must be OK for cars. Over 1 million people saw that POS video.

Meanwhile extremely talented auto mechanic channels like New Level Auto get a tiny fraction of his views.

Read this article: This Emmy-Award Winning YouTube Mechanic Is Full Of Shit
    they are perfectly legal in europe, i believe that is where he lives.
    apart from that, a lot of what he says is bullshit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

He's in Texas, USA.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    I am shocked at what people put out on the internet. But it is a good way for people to learn. If I watch someone else’s stupid mistake there is a chance I might not make that stupid mistake. And let’s face it, we all make stupid mistakes.

That being said, I think your clarifying point should be the difference between a “real good machinist” vs “real machinist”. I’ve worked with career machinists and Tool & Die makers that sucked far worse than some of the people you mentioned. But they were real, they were professionals, in the trade. And they were terrible.
    I'm sure I could say it a few different ways lol. We learn from mistakes, that's a given. Sometimes we just fuck up, again it happens. I've done some boneheaded moves in my time, if you take the time to figure out what went wrong it makes you that much better. Spoiler alert: the root cause is 99.5% times the human factor in some way shape or form.

34. Likes Fal Grunt liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bryan_machine View Post
    Robin Renzetti doesn't do many youtube videos any more - way more instagram - but I think he has a lot of influence.

I suspect that some of these channels/instagram streams function as a kind of deep advertizing. In fact I saw a thread on another forum where somebody need a small precision thing made, and Renzetti's name came up.... Not for selling anything, but for the service.... Across the country....

(How many folks send work to Keith Fenner after seeing something on Turnwright machine channel and then thinking "HE could fix the damn thing"... - and he's shown some stuff he outright said was sponsored....)

This Old Tony clearly has something deep in his background - his videos have always had very high production values (and jokes) and he clearly has a couple of demanding hobbies (trials bikes?) - wonder what his day job really is (or if he has or needs one)

Jody Collier is openly selling welding stuff, but in some ways even lower key than Don Bailey.
    + 1 on Robin Renzetti,

I've pinched a few hacks from him, awesome dude + some really beautiful hands on high precision work.

The thing that's really interesting about Renzetti is that he has phenomenal respect for the 'Craft" and I've found when I've been lurking on very obscure technical / machining related channels and related systems (that have like 5 comments and 100 subscribers) he'll chime in with some very complete detailed and excellent answers for what's what, pros and cons and experiences he's had with various types of systems (for example different types of large commercial air spindles and related systems). Class act all round. It is interesting to see where he co-lurks :-) and seems very active and engaged within the "Community".

@bryan_machine Good to know he's active on IG, that's not so much my "Bag" (other than occasionally finding out what my teenage daughter is getting up to ! lol), but maybe I need to get more into IG as a "Media" channel that technical "Peeps" are using in anger/ in a good way.