List of so called "influencers" doing machine shop or manufacturing videos ? - Page 6
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 124
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Posts
    415
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1002
    Likes (Received)
    244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    He had the same issue that many skilled guys do. They do cool work and have great skills, but they are employees of a company who frowns on them filming inside the workplace. When the man clamped down on him the videos stopped being interesting.

    His videos are just long vlogs now. And that's not my style. But it doesn't really seem to affect the growth of his channel. So what do I know.

    But I personally find machining videos pretty boring.

    Setups are interesting. Custom tools are interesting.

    But can anyone really watch a guy turn a shaft or drill and tap holes?
    Setups are interesting. Custom tools are interesting.

    That's what I'm interested in. Show me the stuff that used to be passed along in apprenticeships.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Posts
    415
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1002
    Likes (Received)
    244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EPAIII View Post
    Don Bailey's videos are among my favourites. I have learned a lot from them. And they are short and to the point which is good as far as I am concerned. Is he an "influencer"? Of course he is. He is plugging his company's products. He does not make any secret of that. But they are informative and certainly enjoyable.

    I see nothing wrong with "influencer" videos. I often read magazines ads as intently as the articles in those magazines. You can learn a lot that way. At least, I do.

    It's a commercial world. You need to learn to live in it. Live with it!
    I like the Don Bailey videos where it's just him.


    The ones with the idiot helper are just painful

    I remember one where he showed a Moore jig grinder ?
    I was super interested as I had heard of, but not seen one.

    -and the guy starts playing submarine - twirling handles, using the vacccum tubing as a speaking tube and so on...

  3. Likes neilho, cameraman liked this post
  4. #103
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Posts
    415
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1002
    Likes (Received)
    244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by janvanruth View Post
    they are perfectly legal in europe, i believe that is where he lives.
    apart from that, a lot of what he says is bullshit.
    What makes you think he's outside of the US ?

    Autozone = us only

    Everything shown is us

  5. #104
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    201
    Likes (Received)
    1248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    He had the same issue that many skilled guys do. They do cool work and have great skills, but they are employees of a company who frowns on them filming inside the workplace. When the man clamped down on him the videos stopped being interesting.

    His videos are just long vlogs now. And that's not my style. But it doesn't really seem to affect the growth of his channel. So what do I know.

    But I personally find machining videos pretty boring. Setups are interesting. Custom tools are interesting. But can anyone really watch a guy turn a shaft or drill and tap holes?
    For some reason watching 45 minutes of shaft turning with heavy stock removal was relaxing.

  6. #105
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Posts
    415
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1002
    Likes (Received)
    244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
    That's my impression also. ^^^

    Pretty impressive for a guy from the Navy (some really smart guys + gals in the US Navy) that was in this rinky-dink apartment with a Taig mill next to his bed.
    What makes you think he was in the Navy?

    Babson College
    Worked at finance company in New York city
    Moved back to Ohio

    I don't see when or where Navy would fit in or any mention of it.



    Drinking game ?
    Amazing, Holy Cow, INSANE !

    I don't think he stopped saying that garbage. I think that his girl just started editing them out in the Audio track.


    I do like the tours where he lets the others talk, but I find he loves to interrupt them right in the middle of the stuff i'm interested in - turns the camera to himself and then it's gone - we never get back to that.

  7. Likes cameraman liked this post
  8. #106
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    West-Central Illinois, USA
    Posts
    1,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2022
    Likes (Received)
    579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by plastikdreams View Post
    I can't stress enough how good aboms older videos were. I honestly haven't seen a video from him in months that was worth watching though. It's a shame, his videos were detailed and thorough.
    Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    He had the same issue that many skilled guys do. They do cool work and have great skills, but they are employees of a company who frowns on them filming inside the workplace. When the man clamped down on him the videos stopped being interesting.

    But I personally find machining videos pretty boring. Setups are interesting. Custom tools are interesting. But can anyone really watch a guy turn a shaft or drill and tap holes?
    I can’t imagine the owners were worried about somebody stealing their repair type business, more likely is the worry of a customer seeing a video & questioning about how much time they were charged for making a video of it…

    Most vids I see are by following a link here (a few I actually finish). I think it may have been Forrest Addy that linked Ray Menendez (old school & still working). There’s no conversations in his vids (just turn the music down) but there IS setup eye candy & much to learn by watching.

    I like to see his setups (nifty junk & simple). Beside the elegant setup below, Ray must have checked the weldment & found the inside faces of the ears (one end) didn’t have enough stock to totally cleanup & estimated to make them look the same (turned out really close). THIS IS A RULE, if both ends don’t LOOK the same the part is wrong, so you machine them leaving “witness” marks on both faces! Old timey → Limi Samy would’ve worked with “markup” men that would have chalked it all up on the part before the millman started the work, those days are gone...



    Good luck,
    Matt

  9. #107
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,886
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3412
    Likes (Received)
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steven-Canada View Post
    What makes you think he was in the Navy?

    Babson College
    Worked at finance company in New York city
    Moved back to Ohio

    I don't see when or where Navy would fit in or any mention of it.



    Drinking game ?
    Amazing, Holy Cow, INSANE !

    I don't think he stopped saying that garbage. I think that his girl just started editing them out in the Audio track.


    I do like the tours where he lets the others talk, but I find he loves to interrupt them right in the middle of the stuff i'm interested in - turns the camera to himself and then it's gone - we never get back to that.
    I think I got that from Greg Jackson (founder of Tormach when he was alive) ~ maybe I totally confuzzulated that for the past ten years lol. I agree how would he shoe horn that one in. Odd, so working real estate/ property development and financing.

    What's a little frustrating is he needs a little coaching on interview technique as he keeps interrupting who he is interviewing out of insecurity to prove he knows something (which is a little annoying; almost needlessly competitive, over controlling and obstructive to the interview) which means you never really get to hear the actual answers to questions posed nor let the person actually explain something. That was particularly the case when he interviewed the current family owner and CEO of Matsuura and other similar interviews. Best to let the person speak , present yourself as someone that knows very little and edit the 'Nodies" in later if you only have one camera.

    I think that's why the Sandvik tour was very good as it was pre-canned tour and very able experts were allowed to speak without interruption. But on the whole it seems industry responds well to him and he has carved out quite a niche for himself (in that department) - so I don't think he could ever be accused of "Lack of initiative". (I'm not sure he has ended up where he wanted to be but his story is certainly not over yet.).

    If you want to get good information out of someone and get them to talk don't present yourself as an 'Expert", but keep cruising on the "Dumb question" premise and let them feel secure to "educate " you on stuff.

  10. Likes dalmatiangirl61, Steven-Canada liked this post
  11. #108
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Montana
    Posts
    1,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6
    Likes (Received)
    58

    Default

    Back to the original question.

    This channel is new and seems to have been made, and the shop created, with videos and influencing as their main purpose. Quite a bit of product for sale. Fab and machining... polished production. Fireball Tool YouTube

  12. #109
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,886
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3412
    Likes (Received)
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steven-Canada View Post
    I like the Don Bailey videos where it's just him.


    The ones with the idiot helper are just painful

    I remember one where he showed a Moore jig grinder ?
    I was super interested as I had heard of, but not seen one.

    -and the guy starts playing submarine - twirling handles, using the vacccum tubing as a speaking tube and so on...
    I gotta admit I have pinched a couple of Don Bailey old school tips... Especially how he leans on a center or his little trick with the square bolt of a drive dog.

    That Jig grinding video was kinda funny and or annoying (in equal measure) , I think the guy with the long hair supplies the weed, and the old grump that operates it , just walked off. So Bailey just had to 'Wing it" , not bad.

    They make some good video inserts where you get to see the same operation simultaneously from two viewing positions and angles "Simultaneously".

  13. Likes Steven-Canada liked this post
  14. #110
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Flushing/Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    7,941
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    399
    Likes (Received)
    6577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
    I gotta admit I have pinched a couple of Don Bailey old school tips...
    Certainly a great guy here in Michigan to learn from. Perhaps one of the best worldwide.
    Yet he does not push or influence purchasing money but just shows much of what is art and trade secrets.
    That makes him not the normal in my eyes.
    I wonder how all his net stuff came about.
    Bob

  15. Likes cameraman liked this post
  16. #111
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,886
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3412
    Likes (Received)
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by plastikdreams View Post
    Real machinists know real machinists.

    Abom is a real machinist, a manual machinist...I've actually learned some lathe tips from him that are great.

    John saunders is a hack, if you have enough crash clips to make a decent length video in one or 2 years you need to find another hobby.

    Someone who makes knives or trinkets isn't a machinist. If they inspire you, that's all well and good.
    This is an interesting point...

    (for perspective)

    Forgive me if I don't remember this right @plastikdreams so you do like mold work like prototype work on new combustion chamber injector heads for rocket engine combustion chambers (new "Booked" design) for ULA (United Launch Alliance or Lockheed Martin or can't remember (sorry)) : serious mission critical high tolerance extremely high performance engineering at the cutting edge.

    AND @Empwoer worked in Russia on Russian propulsion systems and then later SpaceX and now private firm and

    yet you guys bump heads about NYCCNC … lol

    He Saunder's / NYCCNC is in an all together different bubble in terms of applications, completely different sphere.

    [I'm glad he's put in the hours on Fusion 360 so at least if I'm held at gun point to use Fusion 360 I know there is a library of info out there I can grab if I'm having a bad time with that Autodesk product.].

    I don't know anything about knife making ~ Personally I find it really hard to watch John Grimsmo's videos (I feel almost guilty / bad about that, even though I want to know how he's getting on with the different lapping machines he's using) … I'm sure he's a wonderful guy and his shop is going from strength to strength (and the 'Peeps" that work for him love what he's all about) but the overly emotional investment to "The Journey" just kinda bugs me (it's almost honest to the point of being neurotic / open mic "Therapy"... I think boundaries are OK and oversharing is not always a required currency for YouTube "Likes" and "Subs".

    I don't really buy into the idea of prostituting aspects of one's private life to engage an audience for what is essentially a technical or business related subject to gain "Audience" .

    Nowadays and to the future true Privacy will become one of the rarest commodities.

  17. #112
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Posts
    415
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1002
    Likes (Received)
    244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cameraman View Post

    what's a little frustrating is he needs a little coaching on interview technique as he keeps interrupting who he is interviewing out of insecurity to prove he knows something (which is a little annoying; almost needlessly competitive, over controlling and obstructive to the interview) which means you never really get to hear the actual answers to questions posed nor let the person actually explain something. That was particularly the case when he interviewed the current family owner and ceo of matsuura and other similar interviews. Best to let the person speak , present yourself as someone that knows very little and edit the 'nodies" in later if you only have one camera.

    I think that's why the sandvik tour was very good as it was pre-canned tour and very able experts were allowed to speak without interruption. But on the whole it seems industry responds well to him and he has carved out quite a niche for himself (in that department) - so i don't think he could ever be accused of "lack of initiative". (i'm not sure he has ended up where he wanted to be but his story is certainly not over yet.).

    If you want to get good information out of someone and get them to talk don't present yourself as an 'expert", but keep cruising on the "dumb question" premise and let them feel secure to "educate " you on stuff.
    yes .

  18. #113
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Germany, Bavaria
    Posts
    121
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    94
    Likes (Received)
    160

    Default

    Do you have to mark videos in the US if you do paid product placement?

    If you did this in the EU, I would pretty quickly get into trouble.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zahnrad Kopf View Post
    SWMBO has been flogging me to do that for nearly a decade now. I have resisted this long. She also thinks I should be instructing more than just my apprentice.
    That would be about time

  19. Likes cameraman, JHOLLAND1 liked this post
  20. #114
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    West-Central Illinois, USA
    Posts
    1,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2022
    Likes (Received)
    579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
    I gotta admit I have pinched a couple of Don Bailey old school tips...
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Certainly a great guy here in Michigan to learn from. Perhaps one of the best worldwide.
    Yet he does not push or influence purchasing money but just shows much of what is art and trade secrets.
    That makes him not the normal in my eyes.
    I wonder how all his net stuff came about.
    Bob
    Since when did “old school” not include fundamentals (& maybe some intermediate stuff tossed in)?

    I take Don at his word wherein one of his first videos (posted here) he said he wanted to give back & support the community, hence the videos with a request for feedback. I also think he’s just a nice guy, which is a trait usually found in the best salesmen out there.

    Good luck,
    Matt

  21. Likes cyanidekid liked this post
  22. #115
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    1,561
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    873
    Likes (Received)
    674

    Default

    Jody at welding Tips and Tricks has only gotten a mention in passing, but he has one of the best straight up educational channels out there. really minimal BS, and good info. he does plug some low end gear, I don't know how good it is (or how bad!) but lets face it most of the folks watching aren't pros and will not be buying blue, red, or EASB yellow.
    I do like Don Bailey, though sometimes the cornball humor is just a bit too much! he's like that uncle that tells the same jokes over and over, but still insists on explaining the punch line, and seems to forget you stopped laughing at them 10 years ago.
    no really I do like them, maybe ill go watch the one with the rolling paper trick!

  23. Likes plastikdreams, Steven-Canada, ranchak liked this post
  24. #116
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    201
    Likes (Received)
    1248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
    This is an interesting point...

    (for perspective)

    Forgive me if I don't remember this right @plastikdreams so you do like mold work like prototype work on new combustion chamber injector heads for rocket engine combustion chambers (new "Booked" design) for ULA (United Launch Alliance or Lockheed Martin or can't remember (sorry)) : serious mission critical high tolerance extremely high performance engineering at the cutting edge.

    AND @Empwoer worked in Russia on Russian propulsion systems and then later SpaceX and now private firm and

    yet you guys bump heads about NYCCNC … lol

    He Saunder's / NYCCNC is in an all together different bubble in terms of applications, completely different sphere.

    [I'm glad he's put in the hours on Fusion 360 so at least if I'm held at gun point to use Fusion 360 I know there is a library of info out there I can grab if I'm having a bad time with that Autodesk product.].

    I don't know anything about knife making ~ Personally I find it really hard to watch John Grimsmo's videos (I feel almost guilty / bad about that, even though I want to know how he's getting on with the different lapping machines he's using) … I'm sure he's a wonderful guy and his shop is going from strength to strength (and the 'Peeps" that work for him love what he's all about) but the overly emotional investment to "The Journey" just kinda bugs me (it's almost honest to the point of being neurotic / open mic "Therapy"... I think boundaries are OK and oversharing is not always a required currency for YouTube "Likes" and "Subs".

    I don't really buy into the idea of prostituting aspects of one's private life to engage an audience for what is essentially a technical or business related subject to gain "Audience" .

    Nowadays and to the future true Privacy will become one of the rarest commodities.
    Hah close, molds, fixtures and the likes for jet turbine blades, shrouds, fuel nozzles and the likes. Mainly I've been working on stuff for the manufacture of blades, vanes , and other parts for the rs-25 for aerojet-rocketdyne but we do a ton of work for rolls Royce, ge, pratt, and others. Land based, commercial, and government work.


    Worked on a lot of stuff for the ge9x too...cool stuff lol

    Quote Originally Posted by cyanidekid View Post
    Jody at welding Tips and Tricks has only gotten a mention in passing, but he has one of the best straight up educational channels out there. really minimal BS, and good info. he does plug some low end gear, I don't know how good it is (or how bad!) but lets face it most of the folks watching aren't pros and will not be buying blue, red, or EASB yellow.
    I do like Don Bailey, though sometimes the cornball humor is just a bit too much! he's like that uncle that tells the same jokes over and over, but still insists on explaining the punch line, and seems to forget you stopped laughing at them 10 years ago.
    no really I do like them, maybe ill go watch the one with the rolling paper trick!
    Jody has great stuff, so does bob moffet at weld.com.
    Last edited by plastikdreams; 11-04-2019 at 05:41 AM.

  25. Likes empwoer, kenton liked this post
  26. #117
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    714
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    105
    Likes (Received)
    377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cyanidekid View Post
    Jody at welding Tips and Tricks has only gotten a mention in passing, but he has one of the best straight up educational channels out there. really minimal BS, and good info. he does plug some low end gear, I don't know how good it is (or how bad!) but lets face it most of the folks watching aren't pros and will not be buying blue, red, or EASB yellow.
    I do like Don Bailey, though sometimes the cornball humor is just a bit too much! he's like that uncle that tells the same jokes over and over, but still insists on explaining the punch line, and seems to forget you stopped laughing at them 10 years ago.
    no really I do like them, maybe ill go watch the one with the rolling paper trick!
    Jody is an amazing teacher. He reminds me a lot of one of the PhD's I worked under right out of college. Very "down and dirty" but with the understanding of WHY a certain "simple" technique works to the point where it won't be misapplied.

    I actually learned turning from Adam Booth and welding from Jody Collier.

  27. #118
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Posts
    415
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1002
    Likes (Received)
    244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by plastikdreams View Post


    Jody has great stuff, so does Don moffet at weld.com.
    Bob Moffatt.

    I haven't seen him since August 26th, 2019

  28. #119
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    389
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    516
    Likes (Received)
    162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
    This is an interesting point...

    (for perspective)

    Forgive me if I don't remember this right @plastikdreams so you do like mold work like prototype work on new combustion chamber injector heads for rocket engine combustion chambers (new "Booked" design) for ULA (United Launch Alliance or Lockheed Martin or can't remember (sorry)) : serious mission critical high tolerance extremely high performance engineering at the cutting edge.

    AND @Empwoer worked in Russia on Russian propulsion systems and then later SpaceX and now private firm and

    yet you guys bump heads about NYCCNC … lol

    He Saunder's / NYCCNC is in an all together different bubble in terms of applications, completely different sphere.

    [I'm glad he's put in the hours on Fusion 360 so at least if I'm held at gun point to use Fusion 360 I know there is a library of info out there I can grab if I'm having a bad time with that Autodesk product.].

    I don't know anything about knife making ~ Personally I find it really hard to watch John Grimsmo's videos (I feel almost guilty / bad about that, even though I want to know how he's getting on with the different lapping machines he's using) … I'm sure he's a wonderful guy and his shop is going from strength to strength (and the 'Peeps" that work for him love what he's all about) but the overly emotional investment to "The Journey" just kinda bugs me (it's almost honest to the point of being neurotic / open mic "Therapy"... I think boundaries are OK and oversharing is not always a required currency for YouTube "Likes" and "Subs".

    I don't really buy into the idea of prostituting aspects of one's private life to engage an audience for what is essentially a technical or business related subject to gain "Audience" .

    Nowadays and to the future true Privacy will become one of the rarest commodities.
    correction, i was a teenager when we left russia, so no russian propulsion systems for me :P but i did work at spacex.

  29. #120
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    201
    Likes (Received)
    1248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steven-Canada View Post
    Bob Moffatt.

    I haven't seen him since August 26th, 2019
    Good catch, sometimes auto correct changes things for no good reason lol

  30. Likes Steven-Canada liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •