List of so called "influencers" doing machine shop or manufacturing videos ? - Page 7
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    Jody is an amazing teacher. He reminds me a lot of one of the PhD's I worked under right out of college. Very "down and dirty" but with the understanding of WHY a certain "simple" technique works to the point where it won't be misapplied.

I actually learned turning from Adam Booth and welding from Jody Collier.
    I haven't watched many of his videos but my BIL makes a point of buying TIG supplies from Jody's web site because he likes and appreciates his instructional videos.

2. Likes NC Rick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

+1 for:
    This old tony
    Clickspring
    - These two are really in a league of their own for the quality of editing, story boarding etc.

Edge Precision
    Stefan Gotteswinter
    - Really like the quality anf diversity of equipement they have and how they use it.
    Marl

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dan Gelbart

5. Likes cameraman, bryan_machine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Thank you Stephan!

Quote Originally Posted by StefanG View Post
    Do you have to mark videos in the US if you do paid product placement?

That would be about time
    If you did this in the EU, I would pretty quickly get into trouble.
    Stephan,
    The only reason I can hope to claim to be a “professional machinist” is because I have been providing my family with a living for for the last 17 years using my machines. I watch your channel often and would really enjoy having you as a neighbor;-). Really, guys like you who put such effort into demonstrating techniques and equipment along with the experienced folks on this forum have been instrumental in my improvement and enjoyment as I blindly fumble on.

I can’t say how much I appreciate yours and others efforts, it means a lot. I have a good friend who started a shop in the 1970s after we took shop classes and even a job together. His shop is a nice sized CNC business now and not only have we Been friends and worked together for going on 50 years, he has been a mentor. Occasional conversation and shop visits have taught me much but the YouTube phenomenon has been great! I get to push a button and look over the shoulder of a great guy like you. I also can pick and choose my content. Unimaginable not so many years ago.

7. Likes Milacron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't have time to check previous 7 pages of posts, but was "blondiehacks" or "nerdly" mentioned ? Since my original thread started I've been watching Youtube vids and these two stand out as doing a good job. Blondie is using a questionable Chinese lathe but the videos are done well IMHO. Nerdly tends toward Haas mini mill and VF2 topics, but has a vid on shrink fit tooling as well.... does a great job within those genres.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    Don't have time to check previous 7 pages of posts, but was "blondiehacks" or "nerdly" mentioned ? Since my original thread started I've been watching Youtube vids and these two stand out as doing a good job. Blondie is using a questionable Chinese lathe but the videos are done well IMHO. Nerdly tends toward Haas mini mill and VF2 topics, but has a vid on shrink fit tooling as well.... does a great job within those genres.
    I have watched a few Blondiehacks. She is kinda interesting. Different,
    LOL. Best thing nerdly has done was his tormach refund video! (to be honest, I havn't watched any of his newer stuff)

Here is a plug for our homeboy Wes! Because: like Peter Stanton, Wes's techniques are spot on! And, he is very thorough. I for one appreciate that aspect.
    Even though he isn't really machining related anymore. It is great content. And, we will all eventually learn something from the stuff he is putting out there.
    I have! And, I already fancy myself as a decent mechanic. (and, because he called Greg out for watching that jack-ass scotty kilmer!)

10. Likes macgyver, Hardplates liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    I have watched a few Blondiehacks. She is kinda interesting. Different,
    LOL. Best thing nerdly has done was his tormach refund video! (to be honest, I havn't watched any of his newer stuff)

Here is a plug for our homeboy Wes! Because: like Peter Stanton, Wes's techniques are spot on! And, he is very thorough. I for one appreciate that aspect.
    Even though he isn't really machining related anymore. It is great content. And, we will all eventually learn something from the stuff he is putting out there.
    I have! And, I already fancy myself as a decent mechanic. (and, because he called Greg out for watching that jack-ass scotty kilmer!)
    I'll second Wes Johnson, although I wish he would go back to repairing CNC equipment. Peter does amazing work.

When I watch youtube I gravitate towards the channels I feel I can learn the most from, not the ones you learn something by accident.

12. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hardplates View Post
    I'll second Wes Johnson, although I wish he would go back to repairing CNC equipment. Peter does amazing work.

When I watch youtube I gravitate towards the channels I feel I can learn the most from, not the ones you learn something by accident.
    Yep, I never miss an Edge Precision video!

I will admit though: I thoroughly enjoy John Saunders shop tour videos!
    He may not be a world-class machinist (neither am I!). But, C'mon! Who doesn't like a peek inside other peoples shops?! I love it.

14. Likes Hardplates liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

He may not be a world-class machinist (neither am I!). But, C'mon! Who doesn't like a peek inside other peoples shops?! I love it.
    I can agree with that. The one of Berkley Lab with Tom Lipton was fascinating to me. Seeing that kinda opened my eyes to the research sector causing me to get involved in doing work for ultra cold atomic research

16. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I could so without the over excitment from John or Titan CNC. They have a alot of info to share but it feels like Im watching a reality tv show which is annoying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Nccnc

I wanted to throw in a comment for John Sonders hope I'm spelling that right... at NYCCNC I think he is new in the game. Mim not a CNC guy, I know one, a best friend from HS. I helped I'm install rs232 drops to his machines in the late 70s. He is a mentor and successful as well as being talented. How do folks like that take or make time to do so many videos without that being the job. I enjoy John's factory tours even when he talks over the knowledgeable people in pure exuberant outbursts and in trying to get what he perceives as interesting out in the video. I bet he is a great guy and no dummy.

I'm a dummy. I'll never have CNC machines and I'm not really "a machinist" even though I have run machine tools most of my life. I look up to all you guys and I really appreciate experienced folks sharing their knowledge. I learn from everyone. I like watching what interests me. I use my lathe and my mill and other tools for my work and business but I enjoy it, like a hobby. I have real interests in problem solving and watching ways of working on them. Tom Lipton at Ox Tool epitomizing what I like to see. Yea, lapping and scraping and other "old school" trades are cool and we use technology where we can to eliminate those skills just because they are hard to economically repeat. The stuff is fascinating and cool. At the end of the day, practicality and innovation wins. I'm interested in electronics, machine tools, automation and most things technical. I have worked In those fields. The "influencers" have influenced me to buy more tooling and specific products. There are a lot of smart people out there and yes it entertains me watching creative and talented people. I sometimes see things I think I know better but far more often just learn things and enjoy. I don't have to watch commercials and can switch off if I like. I have never been influenced to buy a shop tool on regular TV. Magazines and advertising isn't where it's at anymore. The YouTube thing works particularly when not overtly commercial. Tools are just that, it is people's skills and smarts which do the work. I need more of each!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Duc View Post
    I could so without the over excitment from John or Titan CNC. They have a alot of info to share but it feels like Im watching a reality tv show which is annoying.
    I actually want to like Titan. If he would loose the "boom" and enunciate like a normal "machinist", he would be much better liked by all.
    I actually believe he is a good machinist! Sure he is working every angle of his exposure he can for monetary gain. Who wouldn't?! (Peter Stanton, LOL)
    But, damn is he annoying! And, it is 98% presentation!

John Saunders? I do like him. Yea, a few of his phrases are long in the tooth "that's insane!" (well, I would have never guessed you would say that John).
    But, I think he is a genuinely good dude. Family guy. Great business man. Has a passion for machining. Can't fault him for any of that.
    Guys who are "real" machinists need to keep in mind: we are not his target audience. Like Titan, he is trying to expose people with no experience to machining.

20. Likes ranchak, empwoer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    I liked Abom 79 until he finished at Motion industries and went full time from his home shop, …..when to me (as in purely personal) his videos changed and again to me, seemed to become more money driven, which put me off.
    I akin him to internet panhandling.

Lots more just like that, wanting you to pay for content on patron and the like.

The best are the ones that are not begging for followers, subscribing or buying merchandise.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

22. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I actually want to like Titan. If he would loose the "boom" and enunciate like a normal "machinist", he would be much better liked by all.
    I actually believe he is a good machinist! Sure he is working every angle of his exposure he can for monetary gain. Who wouldn't?! (Peter Stanton, LOL)
    But, damn is he annoying! And, it is 98% presentation!

John Saunders? I do like him. Yea, a few of his phrases are long in the tooth "that's insane!" (well, I would have never guessed you would say that John).
    But, I think he is a genuinely good dude. Family guy. Great business man. Has a passion for machining. Can't fault him for any of that.
    Guys who are "real" machinists need to keep in mind: we are not his target audience. Like Titan, he is trying to expose people with no experience to machining.
    couldnt have said it better!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    I liked Abom 79 until he finished at Motion industries and went full time from his home shop, …..when to me (as in purely personal) his videos changed and again to me, seemed to become more money driven, which put me off.
    It ain't just you Limy!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Abom79 has an interesting dilemma. I understand his agenda to promote his channel and do collaboration/promo videos (someone sends him a straight edge to machine in his videos). Those kinds of videos are done by a lot of YouTubers. And they get exposure.

However, I have to agree with others here that Abom79 is starting to lack in machining content. I get the impression that when he quit Motion, his plan was YouTube and not restarting Booth Machine Shop. Personally, I like seeing videos from job shops and how the folks set up a funky, odd-shaped casting for a repair. Everyone has different ways of doing it and I can learn from that. But it seems that he isn’t getting any ‘machine work’ since going on his own and he is filling in with the promo videos. In that regard, I would commend Tom Lipton and his recent video upload. He didn’t have a job to share, so he machined a toothpick and shared one of the ways it can be done (not the only way, but one way and it still gave value). Edge Precision always has work coming through the door and thus always has interesting content when he shows how he does things. Abom79 had that at Motion but I think he failed to realize its significance before going out on his own. I still look for his videos, but I notice myself watching fewer of them and fast forwarding more often. I hope he reverts back to his roots.

26. Likes jaguar36 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good to see Wes mentioned here, when he was still doing machining related videos he was one of my favourites, his sensible "I need to fix this properly, but quickly, because time is money" approach really appealed to me as a small one man business owner.

I still watch all his videos since he moved away from the machining side, the content isn't as relevant now but he's still using his common sense and rational thinking approach to everything he does, still definately worth watching, I do go back and watch some of his older videos now and then too.

Peter Stanton, can't say much more than what's been said, excellent content but I do have to properly watch his videos to avoid missing details.

John Saunders for the factory tours, while I agree he is a bit over excitable and seems to be impressed by shiny sheetmetal on a machine he has some of the best factory tour videos about imo, better than most of what actual studios put out. Don't tend to watch his other machining videos though, I'm a lathe guy more than anything.

I watch John Grimsmo's videos on and off, I went off them a bit when he has Erin editing, she had a knack for putting godawful music over everything, the latest videos with his new editor don't seem as annoying and he immediately made some changes after the first couple based on comments people made. His videos are interesting however I do genuinely worry that he has an out of control new machine fetish which will come back to bite him if there is another global downturn or supply starts overtaking demand as his output grows, although I do hope it all works out well for him and his employees.

Joe Pieczynski has some great tips but not a huge fan of his style, he needs a warning on screen before he uses his air gun though, I always find myself trying to hit mute just as he's about to use it!

Unfortunately I agree with the above posts on Abom79, I went through a period of watching every single video but since he left Motion Industries I think I've watched a few, the last ones I saw felt like an advert for WD40 and that parts washer he bought, his skill is as a machinist for sure, without a good amount of real world machining work I think his channel has lost its way a bit

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by medsar View Post
    Abom79 has an interesting dilemma. I understand his agenda to promote his channel and do collaboration/promo videos (someone sends him a straight edge to machine in his videos). Those kinds of videos are done by a lot of YouTubers. And they get exposure.

However, I have to agree with others here that Abom79 is starting to lack in machining content. I get the impression that when he quit Motion, his plan was YouTube and not restarting Booth Machine Shop. Personally, I like seeing videos from job shops and how the folks set up a funky, odd-shaped casting for a repair. Everyone has different ways of doing it and I can learn from that. But it seems that he isn’t getting any ‘machine work’ since going on his own and he is filling in with the promo videos. In that regard, I would commend Tom Lipton and his recent video upload. He didn’t have a job to share, so he machined a toothpick and shared one of the ways it can be done (not the only way, but one way and it still gave value). Edge Precision always has work coming through the door and thus always has interesting content when he shows how he does things. Abom79 had that at Motion but I think he failed to realize its significance before going out on his own. I still look for his videos, but I notice myself watching fewer of them and fast forwarding more often. I hope he reverts back to his roots.
    You mean he isn't "doing" (not "getting") any machine work. I sent him a small job end of last Sept. He said it would take him a couple/three weeks to turn it around.
    Here it is end of Jan. 4 months later. Crickets.............

I think Adam's angle is this: he is trying to be on permanent paid vacation. The new Dodge diesel. The travel trailer. The 2nd channel Abom Adventures.
    Seems every week he is away from home doing something. Good for him! We only live once. And, all that jazz. There must be people watching. (it aint me, LOL)
    But, this is definitely going to bring with it an audience shift. If he is still getting subscribers, and views. And, it is working out? Great.
    But, if it eventually goes south? The reason will be obvious. Content. I like Adam and wish him the best with it! But, I do miss the amazing machining videos.
    I guess shop videos in general. He has quite a versatile skill-set. A lot like Keith Fenner.

29. Likes Philabuster, mister honey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I stopped looking at anything Abom does. My wife set up an account for me on instagram and all I see from him are restaurants, crab boils, and BS. I've only seen a couple machinist related things. Guess I don't know what he used to do, but I don't see why anyone would want to look at any of his stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pierson Workholding posts vids on YouTube regularly. He’s a likable guy, runs a helluva small manufacturing business, has his shit together.

His presentation is way more straightforward and “normal” than the hyped-up psuedo-high-energy drivel of the Saunders and Titan types.

ToolCat Greg