What's new
What's new

Lock-out Tag-out

yassybassy

Plastic
Hi,

I have a custom machine shop. We have been struggling for YEARS with finding a way to do lock-out/Tag-out on our brake presses. We change dies like pretty much even half an hour. We have moved to the Wila system, so the die changes are much easier but we still have a lot of our older dies that are conventional. How do you guys deal with going into the back to change them without having to log off and shut down the machine?

Hi,

I have a custom machine shop. We have been struggling for YEARS with finding a way to do lock-out/Tag-out on our brake presses. We change dies like pretty much even half an hour. We have moved to the Wila system, so the die changes are much easier but we still have a lot of our older dies that are conventional. How do you guys deal with going into the back to change them without having to log off and shut down the machine?

Make up some custom tools & fixtures to keep you workers out of harms way.

Have you talked to Rockford ?
Machine Safeguarding Solutions - Rockford Systems, LLC

without having to log off and shut down the machine?
Traditional lock-out/tag-out is based on removing power from the machine. A "lock out" with the controller up and running is a whole different ball game. It's the difference between "physically cannot" and "trust that it will not".

If there's an existing safety interlock on the brake, then you can wire additional NC LOTO switches in series with the interlock.

If there's no existing safety interlock, and nothing in the controller ladder logic intended for that purpose, then you get into a delicate situation. You need somebody qualified to work on safety circuits to evaluate your machine (which means us floating out here on the InnerTubes are not your solution) and determine exactly what it needs to add an approved safety circuit. Without a licensed engineer's stamp (and quitely likely even with one), your regional safety organization (Canada and its provinces have them, I am sure) will not be happy. $$$$

Most of the machines on the production line don't like being locked out. They have key switches on the controls. To really lock them out, it kills the computer controls and the freq drives. I only go in when I have to measure something and the mechs get pissy about me killing all the power cause they don't start up well.
Engineering design foul up in my opinion. I don't think locking out for safety should be difficult but it often is.

Dave

I am stumped. Is a brake press different than a press brake? Because I change all tooling from the front. To go in back I need to open a door that has a switch that activates the Estop. I think I have been inside the machine maybe 10 times in the last 4 years. When I drop a part.

Back