What's new
What's new

Logan 820 Stop Bracket Function

Ronno6

Aluminum
This is attempt #3 for this.

I purchased a rusty basket case Logan 820 lathe.
All there and cleaning up nicely.
I have come across a part identified as a "Stop Bracket."
It is a slotted bracket with a pin at one end at a right angle to the slotted piece.
It attaches to the headstock on the left side with the pin in the slot of the banjo.
I am unsure as to the proper installation of this part.
When bolted flush against the headstodk housing, the pin does not completely pass thru the slot in the banjo.
Should there be a spacer or jam nut between the bracket and the headstoch housing?
Should thes part be allowed to swivel?
What is its function?
I have tried to attach links to pics showing the part in the change gear assy, but one thread shows as invalid, the other never posted.
There are 2 of these stop brackets on ebay for reference.....

The change gear spider can slip out of position disengaging the spider gears. The bracket you are questioning supports the back end of the change gear spider giving to two points of support. As long as the dowel (pin) is engaged in the spider slot it should be ok. If there is a washer or the like required it will show up on the parts list for your machine. Since this is a basket case I would recommend you contact Logan Actuator and get a Manual with exploded diagram. Logan may also have the exploded diagram on their website.

I've got several 920s not 820s but they're similar.

Function, I believe, is to regulate the mesh of the 44 tooth gear. The lower right side of the banjo is intended to only loosely clamp. Many of the Logans I have seen had the banjo clamp busted from being cinched too tight to prevent rotation. Since the lower right is intended to be only loosely clamped, you want some other way of bringing the 44 tooth gear into mesh with the rest of the gear train. The piece you're asking about does that. It provides upward force to the top left of the banjo at whatever distance of mesh you decide is appropriate.

Can't recall if there are other parts that shim it out from the headstock, but parts diagrams are all over the internet for Logans (and the logan website probably has a parts list).

I talked to Scott Logan today and he echoed the notions offered by mach2 and dumpster.
He said it was not used on all 820's and may not be necessary.
He also cautioned about overtightening the banjo clamp bolt.
I guess I'll use it..........

Thanks, y'all!

Back