What's new
What's new

Logan Lathe 825 Wiring

corcaminy

Plastic
Hey everyone,
I have this old logan model 825 lathe that I decided to get running but am completely lost when it comes to getting this thing wired and running, i dont understand much electritician matters so if anyone could just tel me which wires to connect to where that would help a bunch thanks.

Here are some photos of the engage switch on the lathe, the wires that were connected when i got to it, the motor and its wires and diagram, thanks for any help.

Update your browser to use Google Drive - Google Drive Help

Problem is, it looks like you may have the switch version that is for single phase. The three phase type switches do not short terminals together the way that switch does, they interchange the connections. If you were satisfied to run it on a single phase motor, that switch would work, but your motor is 3 phase.

It appears to have been wired as a simple on-off and not as a reversing switch. That will work, but it cannot switch all 3 wires, so the motor is still connected to one phase when the switch is in the "off" position.

The cover for the switch should have a label showing the wiring and switching setup on the inside, unless that label is defaced or went missing.

You want a 3 phase reversing switch type. There are many hobby type folks who might want that switch for their single phase machines, though, so you can sell it and get a 3 phase version. Or, as mentioned, if you run the machine on single phase, that is the right switch.

I assume you have 3 phase available.

im not sure i have a 3 phase switch, how would i wire this as a single phase, then i can at least run it until i find or order a new switch and the cover is missing as well, thanks!

Wire the start winding to the middle two terminals, one wire to the middle on left, one to the middle on right. Power in on left side, for instance, hot to back terminal, neutral or other hot to front. Bring wires to motor main winding from front and back terminals on right side.

When the switch is in center, there is no connection. motor is off.

When the lever is moved one way, the left rear terminal is connected to the right rear terminal, and also to the left middle. The left front is connected to the right front, and right middle. That hooks power to the motor main winding and also to the start winding. The motor starts and runs one direction.

If the lever is moved the other way, same thing happens, except that the rear terminals are connected to the right side middle, and front terminals to the left side middle. That makes the connection to the start winding in the opposite way, and the motor starts in the opposite direction.

The key is that the lever controls which way the start winding is connected. That reverses the motor, but you have to start a single phase motor from a stop. It will not reverse directly, it must come to a stop first.

the main winding is connected the same way for either direction. It is the reversing of the start winding vs the main winding that controls direction.

And, of course, you will have to have a single phase motor with accessible start winding. You cannot use the 3 phase motor that way.

which one is the start winding, im absolutley clueless as to what any of the wires are. I have the terminals numbered if you could possibly tell me which color goes where? Also with my switch are you saying i can still run the lathe forward and reverse even with the 3 phase motor, i just have to let it stop first? Thanks for this help.

Do you have 3 phase power?? If not you are not going to run that motor without adding one of these ,a rotary converter, a static converter,or a VFD. Other option is change motor to a single phase unit.

Also with my switch are you saying i can still run the lathe forward and reverse even with the 3 phase motor, i just have to let it stop first? Thanks for this help.

A 3 phase motor is reversed by simply interchanging any 2 of the 3 wires.

And they can be "plug" reversed, meaning running forward, throw the switch to reverse,
and no waiting to slow down, instant reverse.

A 3 phase motor is reversed by simply interchanging any 2 of the 3 wires.

And they can be "plug" reversed, meaning running forward, throw the switch to reverse,
and no waiting to slow down, instant reverse.

WHEN being run with good 3 phase power.

They do not run on single phase, or at least they will not START on single phase power without some form of "phase converter"..

If you want to use that switch, you need a single phase motor.

If you want to use that motor, you need a different switch, and you need a source of 3 phase power.

Your simplest solution is to use single phase, and get a different motor. Any motor from about 1/3 HP up to 1 HP will be suited to the machine.

The start winding is generally identified on the motor wiring diagram. Often it is the red and black wires, but that is not always the case. Look at the diagram, and the start winding is the wires that are shown to be reversed in position to reverse the motor.

WHEN being run with good 3 phase power.

They do not run on single phase, or at least they will not START on single phase power without some form of "phase converter"..

If you want to use that switch, you need a single phase motor.

If you want to use that motor, you need a different switch, and you need a source of 3 phase power.

Your simplest solution is to use single phase, and get a different motor. Any motor from about 1/3 HP up to 1 HP will be suited to the machine.

The start winding is generally identified on the motor wiring diagram. Often it is the red and black wires, but that is not always the case. Look at the diagram, and the start winding is the wires that are shown to be reversed in position to reverse the motor.

Here we go yet again with you.

I was simply replying to the quoted section, not the OP's pictured switch, the color of the sky, what you had for lunch, etc.....:nutter:

And let's not forget "Proper Grounding".....

Here we go yet again with you.

I was simply replying to the quoted section, not the OP's pictured switch, the color of the sky, what you had for lunch, etc.....:nutter:

And let's not forget "Proper Grounding".....

Our friend the OP seems a bit at sea here... extra info appears to be needed, and I remind you that a quote does not imply disagreement, nor a criticism...... The quote just to make sure it was clear what was being added onto......

He already asked about using the 3p motor on single phase.... just extra clarifying to make sure he gets it. You are fine.... nothing wrong, no reason to bristle up.

so an update, the shop i work out of was my dads, and he had a phase converter mounted for the mill we have, i have made an attempt to get this work, i wired the phase converter to a 3 prong 15a 250v plug and rewired the 3 wire cord on the lathe to the male equivalant and with the lathe motor wired specific to the low voltage diagram on the motor, i flipped the switch and the motor kicked on and would work both ways but seemed to get a bit warm, my questions are did i wire the phase converter correctly, and is the temp i felt on the motor something to worry about, i am also waiting for a 3 phase switch to arrive in the mail. thanks for the help!

Update your browser to use Google Drive - Google Drive Help

so new update, i got the power all sorted out by an electrician family friend working on my house, and for the motor and getting that hooked to the rest of the machine i will be sending it to a company to get everything set up the correct way, thank you all for you help!!!

Back