What's new
What's new

Logan Lathe Furnas Drum Switch to Motor Wiring Need Help

rgnoll

Plastic
Hello
I have a Logan Lathe (mdl 815) that I'm upgrading the motor and replacing the reversing switch on.

The motor I'm installing is a Marathon Cap start 3/4hp, dual voltage & reversible. I will be running it on 110v.
Pic of the wiring diagram from plate attached.

The Drum Switch is a Furnas mdl A-14 / A14. It is a 3 position switch with Off in Center position with Forward & Reverse on opposing sides. Note the terminal connections are not #'d 1 thru 6 as many are. I understand that line leads go to A & B. Not sure which would have the Hot lead (black).
Pics of the switch, connections & terminals attached.

Appreciate greatly any help on wiring this up. Should be noted that I am not familiar with terms such as start & run windings.
Accordingly, basic "connect T1 to terminal 4" would be most helpful....

marathonmotor.JPGdrumdiagram.JPGdrumterm.jpgdrumswitch.JPG

Someone should consider purchasing the drumswitch.com domain name and start buying "how to wire drum switch" top result placement from google. :scratchchin:

It's only $700; should be able to make it back quickly enough, judging from the 28,000 results on Google for "how to wire my drum switch".

For "how to wire my drum switch south bend lathe" there are 24,500 results.

Of course, Milacron could just filter out the link whenever I attempted to post it.

Like he does with *******.com :stirthepot:

We aren't helping this poster very much. So here's a stab.

I *assume* the motor is a 115v/230v motor, hence Low Voltage would be used.

The motor states that Black and Red must reverse places in the diagram for the motor rotation to reverse.

I see that 4 and 2 connect to a different string of terminals as the lever is moved. (I played around with a diagram on paper as it helps me think some)

So 4 to Red....P2 to 3...Orange to B....(and then) 2 to Black...White to A...Land L2 and Yellow on 1.

Interchanging Red and Black in my string of text (and they move with 4 and 2 respectively) as if the lever has moved to reverse the rotation we get

2-Black...P2-3...Orange-B (and then) 4-Red...White-A....and L2-Yellow-1

That makes sense to me as it agrees with the drum switch interconnects and also the motor interconnections required. Connect P1-L1 and Blue-T1 independently of the drum switch.

Hope that helps.

For a single phase motor, it will NOT reverse when you try to reverse it.
It can be coasted to a stop, and then started in either direction from a stop.

-------

A three phase motor can be instantly reversed. That is one of the advantages of three phase power and three phase motors.

For around $100 you can get a VFD that will drive a three phase motor from single phase power, and also give you variable speed.
No reversing switch needed.

Hello
Thanks much folks for the assistance.
Matt, I'll give your directions a whirl tomorrow.
SW Yes, there are soooo many Google results using "drum switch wiring", I probably looked at close to 100 of them. There being so many different switch and motor combinations...I never did find the correct match....thus here I am.
3t2d, vfd's are great, I have & do use them for many machines as I only have single phase available in my shop (aside from generator usage), with this lathe however the preference was to do otherwise.

Thanks again folks.....I'll let ya know how I came out.
btw...ya hear the Seahawks clobbered Orleans, not that I'm a football fan so much as a Seattleite..

Huge Thanks MATT!!! We have Success!!

Hello
Thanks much folks for the assistance.
Matt, I'll give your directions a whirl tomorrow.
SW Yes, there are soooo many Google results using "drum switch wiring", I probably looked at close to 100 of them. There being so many different switch and motor combinations...I never did find the correct match....thus here I am.
3t2d, vfd's are great, I have & do use them for many machines as I only have single phase available in my shop (aside from generator usage), with this lathe however the preference was to do otherwise.

Thanks again folks.....I'll let ya know how I came out.
btw...ya hear the Seahawks clobbered Orleans, not that I'm a football fan so much as a Seattleite..

Huge Thanks MATT!! Successful Wire up Completed!!

Quite right.

For a single phase motor, it will NOT reverse when you try to reverse it.
It can be coasted to a stop, and then started in either direction from a stop.

-------

A three phase motor can be instantly reversed. That is one of the advantages of three phase power and three phase motors.

For around $100 you can get a VFD that will drive a three phase motor from single phase power, and also give you variable speed.
No reversing switch needed.

I was reading thru comments to see if the correct answer had been posted. It has been. Thank you.

Back