What's new
What's new

Logan Model 200 tool post

Levister2121

Plastic
I am brand new to machining and recently purchased a logan model 200 lathe in okay condition. The lathe came with practically no tooling and the original latern style tool post. After looking into buying tooling to fit and contacting Logan Actuators I quickly realized I need to change my tool post. I have found tons of helpful information on what quick change tool post to buy but I am currently on a very tight budget and need to perform a boring operation with the lathe ASAP. I was wondering if there is a cheaper four position tool post that will fit my lathe properly and have more readily available tooling allowing me to perform some basic machining until I am ready to spend the money on a qctp. Alternatively if I can find a boring bar to fit the original tool post that could also be helpful for now. Thanks for your time!

You should be able to find a boring bar and boring bar toolholder for a lantern Toolpost, used, for a few dollars. Do a search for “Armstrong boring bar tool holder”
Good luck!

Don't waste time and money on a cobbled-up boring bar setup. Get on your computer and find a Chinese copy of an Aloris AXA toolpost. You can get a full set for a very reasonable cost. The same vendor will have boring bars to fit. Don't buy the piston type post, go for the wedge type. No need to bother with carbide insert tooling, your lathe will do best with 1/8" or 1/4" high speed steel bits. You might consider the tangential holder for your HSS, as they are easy to sharpen, and work very well. Good Luck. Regards, Clark

Sealarks reply is spot on. The axa wedge style is first choice but if out of your budget then get the piston style. Main difference is the wedge style has better repeatability.

In a pinch a standard boaring bar with a shank that will fit in the lantern tool post slot can be used with shims.

If you want to make something there are many plans and videos on square tool blocks.

Whatever setup you use be mindful of the tool overhang and keep it as short as possible.

Thanks so much cyanidekid I wasn't sure how to find the right tool holder for with my post but that did it. Found one very reasonably priced that will get me by for now.

Maybe not so fast....

The 200 is really too small for the toolposts. Yes a 10" is big enough, but the distance from compound to spindle center is tiny, like 0.875". iI's marginal on clearance unless you use 1/4" tooling. I use everything up to 3/8" and even 1/2" shank tooling, and I have some larger shank insert tooling, so I just use a 4 way toolpost. The larger shank stuff fits a different post that I keep for it.

So despite the convenience of QCTP, the Logan 10" is not well suited to it.

Logan recommends axa for theit ten inch lathes. I’ve been using a phase II axa for 10 years on a Logan 800, rarely use anything else, works great. I use 1/4” to 1/2” HSS, mostly 3/8”.

What's your distance from compound to spindle center? Some may be larger, my 200 is smaller than most in that dimension.

1”. My lathe is a 10” 816. I have three cross slides for it; the original 1947 with two piece cross slide, a taper cross slide and a one piece cross slide. All have the same stack heights. The 9”, 10” and 11” lathes had different height saddles. My experience is with 5 different 800 series lathes, three 200 series and an unknown number of eBay saddles and compounds. My toolposts fit the 800 and 200 series lathes equally. Retrofitting an 11” saddle to a 10” lathe will reduce that 1”.

To be fair I usually let the axa holder overhang the compound and at that it is rigid enough for most work I do. I usually lock all unused slides to keep the carriage as rigid as possible.

I also have a Logan lantern toolpost I use for an ocassional hard to reach condition. Once I made six 4-sides tool blocks. They worked very well as a poor mans quick change system. I sold them one at a time to pay for the axa phase II. Wish I had kept one, every once in a while I miss it’s simplicity and extra rigidity.

My 12" import is also only 1" from compound to CL but the AXA works well, and way better than any 4-way. Try getting a boring bar on CL in a 4 way without another (most likely custom) holder hanging out the side. I don't think 0.875" would be a problem. CDCO tools has the best package price for AXA post and holders. Piston is working for me for the time. If money is really tight you can save a few bucks and go with piston over wedge.

Maybe not so fast....

The 200 is really too small for the toolposts. Yes a 10" is big enough, but the distance from compound to spindle center is tiny, like 0.875". iI's marginal on clearance unless you use 1/4" tooling. I use everything up to 3/8" and even 1/2" shank tooling, and I have some larger shank insert tooling, so I just use a 4 way toolpost. The larger shank stuff fits a different post that I keep for it.

So despite the convenience of QCTP, the Logan 10" is not well suited to it.

This is still a good comment. To use the axa on a Logan 10” the holder hangs off the side most of the time. This induces a load off center of the compound and causes twisting. A lantern tool post, what most of these smaller lathes were designed for, directs the cutting force down the compound center so twisting isn’t as much of a problem. When using an AXA one must be mindful of the twist because it can cause chatter from the asymmetrical transfer of cutting forces. My Logan can take off the radius an 1/8” if set up right but don’t do that with the AXA holder hanging off the side.

1", eh? That's more than I have. As far as I know that (my) machine has a 10" saddle etc, but they are so close that they probably interchange. I have a t-slot crosslide from an 11", and it fits with a slightly thicker gib.

There is always the option of making a block in place of the compound,. That was an option from Logan, and it could be made any size as well as being very stable.

Last edited:

Back