What's new
What's new

Long days on your feet

jamesu229

Hot Rolled
Hi all, its been quite a while since I posted anything here. After many long days on my feet, I decided the best thing I could do for my aching legs and feet was to find a height adjustable set up for my grinders to allow me to sit and work. It is a relatively inexpensive way to accomplish this and it works well. Under $300 per grinder. 10 hours standing at the day job and then up to 5 more at home was making my legs hurt and swell. I'm sure many of you know what i'm talking about. The only thing left to do is modify each grinder for its dedicated purpose, which will also help prevent carpal tunnel syndrome. Hopefully this will help someone.height adjustable grinder.jpg

Hi all, its been quite a while since I posted anything here. After many long days on my feet, I decided the best thing I could do for my aching legs and feet was to find a height adjustable set up for my grinders to allow me to sit and work. It is a relatively inexpensive way to accomplish this and it works well. Under $300 per grinder. 10 hours standing at the day job and then up to 5 more at home was making my legs hurt and swell. I'm sure many of you know what i'm talking about. The only thing left to do is modify each grinder for its dedicated purpose, which will also help prevent carpal tunnel syndrome. Hopefully this will help someone.View attachment 245770

You do need to pay close attention to leg pain. Working 12 hour days one winter. I kept volunteering for that extra four hour blocks. Legs hurt like hell. Part of life or your body trying to tell you something.
I woke up with a blue leg swollen to about 2x size. DVT. Blod clots in deep veins in one leg. Traveled to my lung and almost killed me. Working career was over. Ruined valves in veins so even setting the leg swells with blood pooling. I'm either up walking or laying with leg elevated to gravity drain swelling. I get about 3 or four hours a day doing something. Walking is better than standing because muscles help pump blood. But the damage is done. Vascular insufficiency. Then after a couple years nephropathy sets in.
I always thought I got enough exercise working. You need to get those legs pumping blood hard with other exercise. You guys that work on concrete floors watch out. Pay attention to leg pain. Your body is telling you somthing.
That overtime I worked cost me a lot more than the time and a half I made.
I told my story as a warning. I'm still breathing and work as much as I can daily. Life goes on.

Rubber floor mats make a difference.

I was having horrible pain in my feet, so I bought some rubber mats. Made a huge difference. Foot pain went away in a matter of days.
Then, I was carrying a 12" rotary table (1st mistake) and I tripped on the corner of a mat. Mats went in the trash the next day.

Back