What's new
What's new

Long Island Indicator. What's up?

Ksracer

Aluminum
I placed an order with them on the 6th, got a confirmation email a few days later, and then nothing. I sent a few follow up emails to the contact links on their web page over the last few days, as well as replying to the confirmation e-mail, and I have yet to receive any response. I know they close up over Christmas time, but their website shows no indication of still being closed. Did they fall off the map, or is this how they just normally do businesses?

What did you "place an order" for? They do retail, but I'm sure they don't care that much about it.

R

It was just some replacements stylus, but I don't see how it matters. Their website is most certainly set up for retail sales, which is how the order and payment info were submitted.

I saw something recently about a trip overseas? Now cant remember where I saw that, FB Instagram? Dont know if that might be a thing or not, they also have said for several years they were retiring next year but that may go on for a few more years yet.

Sorry not much help.

Charles

It was just some replacements stylus, but I don't see how it matters. Their website is most certainly set up for retail sales, which is how the order and payment info were submitted.

Because they're human beings, they-Long Island Indicator are not a website.

R

I saw something recently about a trip overseas? Now cant remember where I saw that, FB Instagram? Dont know if that might be a thing or not, they also have said for several years they were retiring next year but that may go on for a few more years yet.

Sorry not much help.

Charles

Ok found it on 29 Dec they posted on FB from Spain, said something about going to Switzerland. Dont know if they have returned yet or not but even if they have they may have a backlog. I would give them another week and see if they reply. If you cant wait you can probably order what you want from another supplier.

Charles

R

I guess I don't understand your point. Are you suggesting that taking a parts order, and then deciding that you don't want to deal with it, or even respond to an inquiry about the order is acceptable? Or do you think I should have waited longer before I followed up on it? If so, how long? It's been 2 weeks. Should I wait 4 weeks? 2 months? A year?

Ok found it on 29 Dec they posted on FB from Spain, said something about going to Switzerland. Dont know if they have returned yet or not but even if they have they may have a backlog. I would give them another week and see if they reply. If you cant wait you can probably order what you want from another supplier.

Charles

Thanks Charles, that's what I'm starting to suspect. A simple notice on their website or an email stating they are temporarily closed would have cleared this up with no issues. I've ordered the parts elsewhere, and sent them another e-mail requesting a cancellation of my order.

R

So the robots put up a website and decided to take orders and payment information? Humans at LII had nothing to do with that?

You take orders, you have a responsibility to follow up. You got the payment!

Customers are (99% of the time) totally cool with shipping delays or vacation time when dealing with small, niche businesses, but no communication is super bad. Email works in Spain/Switzerland. Christ, I did customer support while on vacation in Hawaii.

Have you bothered to pick up the phone and called them?

At least 10 times. They never bothered to answer or return a voicemail.
Their website specifically stated that they don't monitor the phones, to use e-mail imstead, so I'm cool with that part.

Jeesus, the point is; because they're Human beings, there is no way to know. Could be a bad case of diarrhea, or death in the family, or anything. Who knows? There are about 10k things more important than one customer buying a $5 stylus. Dude pancakes or waffles is more important than that. If it's a time sensetive $5 stylus, call MSC. In that case it would no longer be $5 though.

Read

If it's a small, family business someone may have become sick. It's hard to plan for that with no employees. I sell a few things and I should probably set up someone to handle a few things if I get sick.

If it's a small, family business someone may have become sick. It's hard to plan for that with no employees. I sell a few things and I should probably set up someone to handle a few things if I get sick.

I wouldn't think you'd need anything elaborate in place. Just a way to shut your ordering system down or a way to communicate that there's a delay or problem.

Jeesus, the point is; because they're Human beings, there is no way to know. Could be a bad case of diarrhea, or death in the family, or anything. Who knows? There are about 10k things more important than one customer buying a $5 stylus. Dude pancakes or waffles is more important than that. If it's a time sensetive $5 stylus, call MSC. In that case it would no longer be $5 though.

Read
Maybe, once you set up a web site to take orders, you're not allowed to act like a human being anymore. One way or the other, not both.

Maybe, once you set up a web site to take orders, you're not allowed to act like a human being anymore. One way or the other, not both.

Let's see how far that philosophy gets you. :) I understand that this is 2019, but not everyone needs to compete with Amazon. LII is known around the world for their quality, they are the default, the be all, end all for Indicator repair. They don't need to do anything by anyone else's needs.

R

... LII is known around the world for their quality, they are the default, the be all, end all for Indicator repair. They don't need to do anything by anyone else's needs.

R

Like, respond to customers? Or orders? For a month?

You're welcome to your opinion of them as the be-all and end-all, but I've had much better luck elsewhere.

Holy cow,dude. Why are you such a BAD customer. Be happy they took your money, and shut up about it
until they ship it. Wait. Better yet, you should beg their forgiveness, go to Long Island, break into their shop,
fill your order yourself, AND fill all the other pending orders on their desk. While you are doing this,
chant "I am a bad customer" condtinously. And leave a hundred dollar bill on the desk when you
depart.

Heh.

Back