What's new
What's new

Longer bed for taig mini lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

pullyelectron

Plastic
There is an advertisement on leevaley.com for a taig metalwroking minilathe. I have heard good things about this machine, the only problem being the anemic size. I would buy it if I were able to work on longer workpeices. I have heard that the extensions at this link (Bed Extension), are comnpatible, but being canadian, I would rather not end up paying 1 million in "duty" and import fees if possible. I have also seen that some people make their own extensions but I am not confident in my ability skillwise or equipment wise. The only precision tool I own currently is an 8 inch drill press, so I would like to buy a nicely sized work area for my first lathe. Any insight will be much appreciated:)

Improving a mini lathe must start with a good solid foundation.

ed7a7ffebd9996b0990e.jpg

Glug, now that's a lathe. Not quite a Dean Smith and Grace, but nice. ;-)

To the OP, don't know the space you have available, the electric supply, weight capacity of your shop's floor, your finances etc. If you can't swing a 12x36 (or better a 14x40) from Wallace in Wpg, then suggest you keep your eyes open for a used South Bend 9" or 10" or heck, even a Myford. A Taig is cute but useless. Total waste of your cash.

Regards,
L7

You missed the guide lines. We don't do Taig here. We try to focus on professional machines. . . .Good luck with your ventures, we just don't do mini lathes here.
Regards Phil.

Hey Phil,
Your post is a great example of how to treat another human being. Maybe others will follow your example! (Probably not...)

Hey Phil,
Your post is a great example of how to treat another human being. Maybe others will follow your example! (Probably not...)

Ummmh.. We've done worse. And may, yet, again - depending on the besucher's attitude.

Phil may need heart-pills and a de-fib after hearing ME say it, but sorry, his post was polite, on-point, not at all hostile, and even USEFUL if the OP actually wants to be where others HAVE the same sort of kit and CAN discuss it to his advantage soon enough to matter.

PM's rules reflect PM's statistics as much as PM's goals. Taigs exist here. Just not in great numbers.

The seeker should get polite noises, a comfy chair, fresh flowers every day, and a dental-soft diet but NO HELP for four years cooling his ass HERE? On what? Danish Healthcare's dime?

How much good would it do him, and why would it be classed a "kindness" to waste the hours of his life?

We'd send a person asking about a Navion Rangemaster door seal off to a vintage aircraft forum, would we not?

PM is PM. That's quite a lot, but it still ain't the whole world.

Where's the beef?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back