What's new
What's new

Looking for 1-3/8" tube bender

dantm

Plastic
I'm trying to do some proto work for automotive coolant applications...

Quite simple stuff, one item I need is a 90-degree bend in an Aluminum pipe:

Material: 6061-T6 aluminum
Wall thickness: 16 gauge
Tubing outside diameter: 1-3/8 inch (35mm)
CLR: 3-4" ideal

Does anybody have any leads of who may be able to help with this? I have yet to find 1-3/8" places...most have 1-1/4" and 1-1/2" tooling.

Well, JD squared makes 1-3/8" tube dies but not in that CLR.

Asking for a 3-4" radius in 0.050" thick T6 tube seems like a really tall order.

Well, JD squared makes 1-3/8" tube dies but not in that CLR.

Asking for a 3-4" radius in 0.050" thick T6 tube seems like a really tall order.

We are trying to remanufacture old tubing for some classic car coolant application. The original tube is exactly as mentioned, maybe the thickness is a little thicker 0.082 instead of 0.063 (16 gauge).

What would your recommendation be to accomplish this?

I'm no expert on bending but I'd evaluate the use of softer tubing. Also, how carefully was the 1-3/8" tube measured? 1" and 1-1/4" pipe is pretty close to your stated size, and could potentially open up more doors for you. Ya know, just in case it was measured with a tape in a less than ideal position.

I'm no expert on bending but I'd evaluate the use of softer tubing. Also, how carefully was the 1-3/8" tube measured? 1" and 1-1/4" pipe is pretty close to your stated size, and could potentially open up more doors for you. Ya know, just in case it was measured with a tape in a less than ideal position.

No, it was measured with a caliper and it needs to be that size because there are point-to-point hoses that need to fit over it...

Actual measurements are:

OD = 35.20 mm ~ 1.375"
ID = 30.70 mm ~ 1.21"

wall thickness = 0.083" but I thought that 0.063" would be close enough.

Maybe talk to a muffler/exhaust shop that bends exhaust pipe? I have a JD model 32 bender, and the bender plus one set of dies was over $600.

Maybe talk to a muffler/exhaust shop that bends exhaust pipe? I have a JD model 32 bender, and the bender plus one set of dies was over $600.

Yes tried that route - thank you - the issue was that the shops usually start at 1.5" and some have 1.25" and 1.5". Also most told me that their pressure set-ups on the machines are made for steel and it would crumple/crack Aluminum.

I was looking for somebody to do this:

Aluminium Tube bending - pushing the limits - YouTube

Think airplanes not car parts people that's where you will find a bender like you need.
really good chance it's not 6061 tube.
then there is the question quantity needed?

hydro forming might be an option as well.

probably going to not be cheap

You need to find someone with a mandrel bender. You need the interior mandrel and a wiper die to prevent distortion and wrinkling of the bend. Using the correct alloy will also be important. As a general rule of thumb if you want a perfect bend at a centerline radius less than 2-3 times the diameter of the tube you need the extra support a mandrel bender has.

I think I can get my hands on a 1-3/8 x 2-3/4" CLR die and can work with you if you end up in a pinch. I would have to see if I have a matching mandrel and wiper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your not going to do it in T6 you can do it in T4 then heat treat it back upto T6 but T6 will crack on you in all likely hood, its just not ductile enough for a bend that tight. Of cause depending on local supply it may be cheaper - easier to buy T6 and anneal it (T0) bend then reheat treat it (few hours at high iven heat you can find the numbers online but its within reach of a domestic oven just don't get caught!!).

Your firmly into mandrill bending if you want it to look at all reasonable and its not cheap to tool up for. You need more than a simple plug idealy at that ratio you want at least a 1 ball pitch linked mandrill. Though you may get away with it in the 2mm wall with just a simple plug mandrill.

Wiper wise IMHO - based on the charts i normally use - have found good you will be ok with out, better with, but ok with out, all depends how much distortion your happy with.

http://www.bendtooling.com/mandrel_&_wiper_charts.htm The best online reference i have ever found for mandrill bending there ratios recommendations are accurate based on my experience too!

You need to find someone with a mandrel bender. You need the interior mandrel and a wiper die to prevent distortion and wrinkling of the bend. Using the correct alloy will also be important. As a general rule of thumb if you want a perfect bend at a centerline radius less than 2-3 times the diameter of the tube you need the extra support a mandrel bender has.

I think I can get my hands on a 1-3/8 x 2-3/4" CLR die and can work with you if you end up in a pinch. I would have to see if I have a matching mandrel and wiper.

Well I'm in your area if you could do this I'd be very grateful. Really really hard to find this -- I was able to find a 1-3/8 in New Hampshire but with a 6" CLR which is not what I need.

For 1-3/8 with a 3 - 4 inch CLR isn't that more than 2-3 times the tube diameter?

Think airplanes not car parts people that's where you will find a bender like you need.
really good chance it's not 6061 tube.
then there is the question quantity needed?

hydro forming might be an option as well.

probably going to not be cheap

The problem is that I don't need aircraft tolerances and this is an automotive application, so it cannot be $$$. Aircraft makers gave me quotes of hundreds of $$$ for high tolerance setups and so on. This just simply does not need it - it needs to be able to take hoses on toe two ends and that's about it.

And be of the right dimensions as shown in the file I attached because it should look correct since it's visible.

Well I'm in your area if you could do this I'd be very grateful. Really really hard to find this -- I was able to find a 1-3/8 in New Hampshire but with a 6" CLR which is not what I need.

For 1-3/8 with a 3 - 4 inch CLR isn't that more than 2-3 times the tube diameter?

Well, your in luck. I just checked my tooling list and I have a 1-3/8 with a 4-1/8 CLR. I have one mandrel for 1-3/8 x 0.065" tubing. Shoot me a email and we can try to work something out. isaac at whetstone workshop (all one word) dot com

Back