What's new
What's new

Looking for a 2" - 2tpi LEFT Hand Acme Tap

Extremely random question, does anyone have a 2" - 2 tpi LEFT hand Acme tap they would be willing to sell? It's for a one off job and I had one that I probably should have had sharpened before the job, but now it is about 5" deep in a casting broken off. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. Attached is a photo of the casting that I need to machine.
It's kinda tricky because it's such a course thread and the inserts are so big to fit inside the minor diameter of 2" - 2 Acme. The part is 14" long, and approx 6.5" wide at the fork end. Any help would be great. Thanks

Attachments

• Photo Jun 05, 6 37 46 PM - Copy.jpg
    Photo Jun 05, 6 37 46 PM - Copy.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 242
I'll stick my neck and say - you've the thick end of no chance, even if you do find a tap, how in Gods name are you going to turn it?

That's a screw cutting job, .............and if the inserts are too big you'll have to grind your own tool from HSS .

As my dad used to say " Heell you don't need a machinist you need a priest" all kidding aside you will probably not get the tap out, buy a new casting and single point the threads, if you had a tap, at the end you could chase the final cut to fit, but not so much now...Phil

I have removed many broken taps with my trusty oxy torch....just blow the solid middle out,and the rest will break up with a few solid hits with a punch and a decent hammer ...3lb +....I recall one broken off in the knob of a engine oiler ,maybe 5/16 ,guy was very sceptical ....I said ...mate ,if I f***k it up ,Ill give you $100,if its out clean ,no damage ,you give me $100.....and both of us put up the note ,so no welching......anyhoo ,he lost his $100,and then told everyone I ripped him off on the job.

I have removed many broken taps with my trusty oxy torch....just blow the solid middle out,and the rest will break up with a few solid hits with a punch and a decent hammer ...3lb +....I recall one broken off in the knob of a engine oiler ,maybe 5/16 ,guy was very sceptical ....I said ...mate ,if I f***k it up ,Ill give you $100,if its out clean ,no damage ,you give me $100.....and both of us put up the note ,so no welching......anyhoo ,he lost his $100,and then told everyone I ripped him off on the job.

You Aussies get away with shit no one else does!

Many moons ago ,a guy who worked in the office gave me an invite to a very selective group who had bought a steam loco..anyhoo ,turned out Greg (for that was his name) was the boss man of the operation ,and most of the time was spent drinking tea and talking crap....He assigns me to remove some rivets .....grind the heads flat ,drill thru ,and drive them out ......F/That ,says I ,and uses the oxy ,washes off the heads ,blows out the shank ,rivets fall out......Greg come back ,sees I havent followed his orders ,and goes spare......Stalin,Hitler ,Bligh and Attila the Hun all in one.....thought he was gunna have a stroke...

Many moons ago ,a guy who worked in the office gave me an invite to a very selective group who had bought a steam loco..anyhoo ,turned out Greg (for that was his name) was the boss man of the operation ,and most of the time was spent drinking tea and talking crap....He assigns me to remove some rivets .....grind the heads flat ,drill thru ,and drive them out ......F/That ,says I ,and uses the oxy ,washes off the heads ,blows out the shank ,rivets fall out......Greg come back ,sees I havent followed his orders ,and goes spare......Stalin,Hitler ,Bligh and Attila the Hun all in one.....thought he was gunna have a stroke...

BTDT in similar circumstances, .and when I asked what was wrong with my methods I was told ''that wasn't how it was done when this was built in 18 something yada yada yada.''

To which Sami replied ''So if George Stevenson was shown CNC lathes and milling machines - would he have A;- told the guy where to get off, or B ;- They're grand , put em in over there lad, and how soon can we have some more?''

Suffice to say there was a parting of the ways.

P.S. The twat hardly knew one end of a hammer from the hole up his ass.

I might have related this story in the past, but it applies here...

My friend 'Bob' left the Army in 1973 and became a transmission rebuilder for over 40 years. He ran his own shop and knew practically every detail of every transmission. He is/was a very courteous sort, always willing to help the riff-raff that would drift in looking for free stuff.

Anyway, one day I was having lunch with him in the office when some dope comes in with a stack of manual trans parts. He tells us he's never rebuilt a transmission before but he's his taken apart and it won't fit back in the case. Bob, from 10 feet away, identifies the exact trans and tells him, "Well, you have the synchro rings upside down, the needle bearings must be missing because the halfshaft is sitting crooked, the thrust washer is on the wrong end, and you need to make sure when you do try to put it in the case you have the case standing vertically etc."

The guy ponders all that for a few seconds, then replies "Are you sure?"

Extremely random question, does anyone have a 2" - 2 tpi LEFT hand Acme tap they would be willing to sell? It's for a one off job and I had one that I probably should have had sharpened before the job, but now it is about 5" deep in a casting broken off. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. Attached is a photo of the casting that I need to machine.
It's kinda tricky because it's such a course thread and the inserts are so big to fit inside the minor diameter of 2" - 2 Acme. The part is 14" long, and approx 6.5" wide at the fork end. Any help would be great. Thanks

How deep is the thread? I can probably thread mill them for you.

Back