What's new
What's new

Looking for 3/4-12 spade head screw

rke[pler

Diamond
Think of an overgrown thumb screw and you're in the ballpark. I can't find any of these myself but I thought I'd ask here before I make one. I need one 3/4-12 (yup, 12) and 5 5/8 OAL or better - this is the adjuster in a sheet metal roller and the far end needs a groove to engage one roller's end assembly. I've got the material but it's going to be a fair amount of hogging 4140HT to get it down and figured I'd check for one close before I start.

I have made such things by silver brazing a steel flat washer into the slot of a round head screw. In other words, you can make your 3/4-12 screw out of 1" bar or even 3/4" bar if you don't need a shoulder. Then add the washer, and you don't need to hog it from a bigger bar.

Larry

Here is another possible solution, which can also be made from 3/4" bar. Drill and tap one end of the 3/4-12 bar a standard size like 1/2-13. Then screw in a forged eye bolt with shoulder and possibly a flat washer. Set the eye bolt with Loctite.

I made a set of pins for locking the columns on my telescoping gantry using eye bolts for handles and they look and perform very well.

Bolt Depot - Forged Eye Bolts with Shoulder Dimensions

Larry

Thanks for the suggestions. If it were my sheet metal roller all of those would be viable suggestions, but it's for someone else. I may get away with just turning the 3/4-12 in some stock and welding the old "thumb" on it - I'll ask if that's a viable solution for the user.

Back