What's new
What's new

Looking For AISI 5140 Grade Bar Stock

4GSR

Diamond
Looking for a USA/Canadian supplier for grade 5140 steel. There are many international designations for this steel and I won't list them here. Bar size is around 2" OD solid and only need a piece 12" long. Be willing to buy a full bar length of this material if needed. Annealed condition is fine. It will get re-heat treated later. Not interested in any equivalent grades of steel to replace 5140. Already know what can be used in its place. This is customer driven. Ken

Just out of curiosity asked my main steel supplier in town yesterday- short answer: none in Canada. He also couldn’t find any low carbon 6.5” round, or 12L14 1.62” round. Supply chains? Things picking up?

Burn outs just to get 6.5” rounds are getting pricey...

L7

out of curiosity, how much cheaper is 5140 supposed to be than 4140?

well, its closer to 4140, just has a bit less of the "good stuff".

i happened to talk to a steel supplier today and i mentioned 1.7035. he "shook his head", apparently this is an outdated type. i would think the (ad nauseum) discussions about 5140 vs. 4340 on automotive forums (crankshafts, rods) is not really about 5140. the name has been probably kept not to confuse people too much.

i can get you a 60 x 289 mm piece of 1.7035 for $30.

Not interested in any equivalent grades of steel to replace 5140. Already know what can be used in its place. This is customer driven. Ken

5140 would be cheaper than 4140. If it’s made in the states TimkenSteel would be the ones making it.

Cat uses quite a bit of 5130(modified) for HT & nitriding. IF the chrome is in there for wear resistance the .30, .35 & 1.1 (IE 51100) vs .40C have more of it than the other 5XXX steels. For strength it will be above 1040, 1340 & 4037 and below 4137/4140/4340.

Good for strength/wear but not so good for strength/toughness, attaching cheat sheet from US Steel

Good luck,
Matt

Attachments

• USSalloys3.jpg
    USSalloys3.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 25
  • USSalloys2.jpg
    USSalloys2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 24
you realize where i am, right?

Yes, I'm aware of your location. I haven't heard back from this guy asking. He is located up in eastern Canada. Yeah, I'm down here in south Texas! Have no clue what shipping would be from China to Canada. I know people do it all the time, shipping between the two countries.

I'll let you know if I hear from him.

Thank you kindly Dian. Ken

Back