What's new
What's new

Looking for an Aluminum specific straight cutting oil

DanASM

Hot Rolled
I have been using Mobilmet 766 Mobilmet 766 for 30 years. It has been great for 300 Series Stainless when brand new. I usually send it over to the low carbon steel machines as it thins out.

Lately I have been running lots of AL and I caught the oil lines sputtering a few times towards the last 1'-2' of the bar stock.

I noticed mobil also sells this Mobilmet 423 Mobilmet 423.

I can get 5 gal pails of 766 for $115 each. I can only get the 423 by the drum (55 Gal) for $1050.

The 424 would be great for my 1215 jobs where the chips pile up like sand and soak up the oil.

The old timers trick is to add a little kerosene to the 766 to thin it out. I have never done this, but am not opposed to doing it. I just know its not 1978 anymore and my dad cant seem to figure that out.

Is there something else I should try? I dont want to buy a Drum when I only need at most 20 Gal (which would last a few years anyway). 25 years ago we bought a drum and it took over 10 years to drain. Was only $700 at the time.

Has to be straight oil. No Water Sob.

Though not a true "oil", Relton A-9 is really hard to beat for aluminum. It is the only fluid we use on aluminum and also works well with stainless in a pinch.

Though not a true "oil", Relton A-9 is really hard to beat for aluminum. It is the only fluid we use on aluminum and also works well with stainless in a pinch.

Looks like $370 for a 5 gal pail before shipping from MSC. $279 from Relton Direct minus shipping from CA.

Way too much money.

Looks like $370 for a 5 gal pail before shipping from MSC. $279 from Relton Direct minus shipping from CA.

Way too much money.

Yes, everything shipped in is gonna have high freight.
What about a local distributor ?
Shell, Mobil, Castrol ?

We have a local manuf (2 man operation) and he makes up anything you want, or would sell you what you need to thin your existing oil.
But shipping is still the problem.

Yes, everything shipped in is gonna have high freight.
What about a local distributor ?
Shell, Mobil, Castrol ?

We have a local manuf (2 man operation) and he makes up anything you want, or would sell you what you need to thin your existing oil.
But shipping is still the problem.

My local Distributor is a Mobil one. No shipping charges for me, they have a truck.

I am leaning more towards adding some kero to the 766. I will have to play with it a little to get it right without lowering the flash point too much.

I will have to look at Shell. I believe they have a local distro.

My local Distributor is a Mobil one. No shipping charges for me, they have a truck.

I am leaning more towards adding some kero to the 766. I will have to play with it a little to get it right without lowering the flash point too much.

I will have to look at Shell. I believe they have a local distro.

How about stoddard ?

Diesel is slightly lower.

You might look at Mobil 427. I bought a drum of it several years ago. Also nonstaining on brass and copper. Not aluminum specific as I have used it on everything. It is not too heavy and is as clear as water. Maybe in the same family as your 424 just a different viscosity. A look at the whole family may get you one available in 5 gallon pails.

You might look at Mobil 427. I bought a drum of it several years ago. Also nonstaining on brass and copper. Not aluminum specific as I have used it on everything. It is not too heavy and is as clear as water. Maybe in the same family as your 424 just a different viscosity. A look at the whole family may get you one available in 5 gallon pails.

The 420 series stuff is all similar according to the docs.

I might have to splurge on a barrel.

Yea, 766 is certainly overkill for aluminum. Call your local Mobil jobber and ask them what they have available in 5 gal pails or ask them who buys 424 in 55 gal drums locally.

Yea, 766 is certainly overkill for aluminum. Call your local Mobil jobber and ask them what they have available in 5 gal pails or ask them who buys 424 in 55 gal drums locally.

The local distro can only get me barrels of 400 series at $1050 per 55 gal. Which isnt really bad if I was going to use it faster.

I am starting to get into some of the bigger diameter parts in this part series and next up is a 1215 job. I can see the machine filling with "sand" chips and soaking up the heavy 766. I am not even into the parts that range from 1.00"-1.50" yet.

From what I understand the 5 gal pails of 766 are harder to get now too. I ordered 4 of them 2 weeks ago and none have yet to show up. I was told 1 of them would come ups and another would be delivered shortly. the other 2 need to come up from the main warehouse (which probably doesnt have them either).

Me and the mrs worked at an aluminium extruders in the 70s, the cutting lube was just tallow sticks, nothing else, sawing, routing, drilling tapping worked ok, however the box of the stuff I fetched home got eaten in a lock up I had not far from a canal, truth was it said on the box saw wax, I didn’t know it was tallow!, the rats ate the box as well!
Mark

Well the rep showed up today with the 5 gal pail of 766 of the 4 that were ordered. Hew told me they had another one that was shipped UPS and it should show up today.

He called on it right in front of me as it has been over 2 weeks since I ordered these. They usually are sitting in front of my door when I arrive to work within a few days of my order.

He told me the one coming UPS was 426. I did not order this myself, my dad did. This is probably what they had around and could send out right away.

After looking at the data sheets and comparing it to 766, it is pretty much the same stuff just non staining and not neat.

The 426 is not what I want at all. It was very viscous and not thin at all.

He did tell me I can get the barrel of 423 for $998 no shipping.

Another product he sells one of my competitors cost $600/barrel. my dad says they cut a lot of plastics over there. Some of the AL oils say they are good for plastics as well so this could work out if I like it. Something tells me it is too cheap though.

Back