What's new
What's new

Looking for Balding/Prince Hunter mill manual

Joelyons

Plastic
Just got a Prince Hunter pal mill and just hoping someone had a PDF manual. Thanks in advance.

Is this what the receding hairline aristocracy uses to mill beaver hunting implements ?

Ya I had found their site but I was just gonna see if someone happen to have their own manual or a PDF to share. It does say in the description that the PAL did not have it's own manual but I have noticed in past threads that someone had one that was from the US Prince Hunter model.

I ran one for 40 years, business, not hobby. The only reason I sold it was that I had a nearly new Promax and didn't have a helper anymore. I tightened the backlash nuts to .005 in the middle of the travel and it only had a thousandth or so less backlash at the ends. What wear there was happened in the nut and was adjustable. The scraping was still visible on the ways and the spindle was quiet. Except for a stupid quill feed stop system and R8 collets, it is a fine mill. I sold the manual with the mill but I think I have a scan of it in the archives. I will look

Bill

Update- The manual is not on any of my presently active drives, but I remember sending a copy to someone, so I did scan it. It probably is on a CD. Since I only have a few hundred of them, it may take a while but I definitely have it somewhere.

Meanwhile, if you are using the machine, here are some tips.

#1 If this is the two belt model, be careful about tilting the head back. The original setup was for the backgear model which raised the motor up to where it would not interfere with tilting. The long, low housing on the two belt model will come down on the ratchet wrench so you cannot remove it and it is not reversible. That means you will have to dismantle something to release it.

#2 If it has a two speed motor with two switches, one for forward and reverse, the other for high low speed, NEVER change the speed switch under power. Use the forward/reverse switch to start and stop and change speeds with it stopped. The speed switch has a lot of tiny contacts that burn up if switched under load.

#3 The insulation on the internal wires in the motor went bad and they shorted. The windings were fine, only the wires connecting them to terminals failed and it was an easy replacement.

I will keep looking.

Bill

Back