What's new
What's new

Looking For Ball or Roller Thrust Bearing, Not Finding A Useable Size

morsetaper2

Diamond
Trying to retrofit an existing device that has a "single washer" of some sort of stainless steel as a thrust washer.

Was hoping to source a ball or roller thrust bearing as replacement. Not finding what I need so am thinking my ID to OD ratio just isn't possible. Have tried Mcmaster-Carr and a couple online places and come up empty. Stack height not too critical. Shaft and housing of device force the size constraint.

Looking for ID: .625 inch (16mm could work)

Looking for OD: .15/16 (.9375) (23mm could work)

Any Ideas where such a ball or roller thrust bearing could be sourced? Only need one and don't want to pay a lot for this application.

So thinking I'm SOL. And I'll put some sort of oiled bronze plane washer that I machine to size as an improvement.

Stupid questions incoming...

Is this a low speed, low load application? Low stress? If so, I've modded thrust bearing washers (you can trim the OD of these McMaster-Carr), and it sounds like a handful of loose balls could fit in between two shims, and be captured by the housing and shaft. Maybe 1/8" or so balls.

Granted, it's a bunch of point loads, so high stress or high speeds isn't going to work.

Stupid questions incoming...

Is this a low speed, low load application? Low stress? If so, I've modded thrust bearing washers (you can trim the OD of these McMaster-Carr), and it sounds like a handful of loose balls could fit in between two shims, and be captured by the housing and shaft. Maybe 1/8" or so balls.

Granted, it's a bunch of point loads, so high stress or high speeds isn't going to work.

Good Question, it is low speed application. A handwheel gets turned and loads the shaft axially. Don't have a numerical value for load. But really I think any sort of steel/SST bearing would suffice and survive loading.

Your suggestion is certainly possible. At very least a pair of those washers w/ some sort of bronze plain thrust bearing could work.

Did you look at Torrington needle thrust bearings? I don't have the catalog at hand to check dimensions, but I have used them in collet draw bars and such.

Larry

Try thrust washer type. Two sets. One set has snug fit on od, one set has snug fit on id, start with snug od and alternate, ending with snug od last. Set thickness so that at least two of each can be used. Add lubricant grooves if possible, different hardness in each set if possible.

Good Question, it is low speed application. A handwheel gets turned and loads the shaft axially. Don't have a numerical value for load. But really I think any sort of steel/SST bearing would suffice and survive loading.

Your suggestion is certainly possible. At very least a pair of those washers w/ some sort of bronze plain thrust bearing could work.

Sounds like what you need for fix and forget-forever is a speciality porous, oil-impregnated BRONZE.

BUT... BUT.. BUT... NOT the dirt-common, soft, and short-lived - Copper-Tin sintering.

Far more durable Copper-Iron, rather:

You have the sort of application Chrysler's labs invented those Copper-Iron alloys for, long time ago, already. Even more has been done since the early 1930's;

Broad product line of off-the-shelf stock parts, US and Metric sizes, and prolly sold one at a time by "the usual suspects":

About Oilite(R) Products and Applications | Xcelite | Beemer Precision | Super Oilite

Oilte 16 wants HARD mating surfaces.

The others: Oilite II, Super Oilite, Oilite-Plus, are much easier to live with.

Stock shapes should be "close" so there is low/no need of machining on the "mating" / working surfaces.

Yah want to avoid altering the porosity in that zone. ID and OD machining is then probably of no concern atall.

Yes About 22.8 miljoen of them
A average of 1.3 /person
I bet that there is a byciycle shop somewhere in the US though

Peter

Amsterdam was an eye-opener. Fortunately, I'd seen swarms of biciycle traffic years earlier in mainland China's larger cities. Otherwise I might have been run-over!

:)

Bicycle supply or not, McMaster-Carr - and probably Grainger/Zoro - stock the "high Iron content" slower surface speed, higher working pressure versions of Oilire, Super Oilite, and such right next to the "ordinary" legacy Tin-Bronze Oilite:

McMaster-Carr

Mark's application sounded like a low-velocity, high pressure clamp/de-clamp one, so "seems like the right stuff" to me. Rolling-element bearings I'd expect to tend to Brinnel their races, and/or work loose, not want to hold a desired position in such use?

NB: Most of what we call "stainless" in the common alloys is notorious for galling where low speed, high pressure friction is applied.

One wonders if the original was actually a Monel or similar Cupro-Nickel alloy?

Back