What's new
What's new

looking for belt length for 1982 victor 1640 7hp lathe

blitzkrueg

Aluminum
hello
does anyone have an 1982 vintage victor 1640 7 hp they can tell me their belt size.
i called victor and they said the 1640 uses a belts of various size belts from 73 inch to 78 inch on the 1640.
they said to just use what ever size currently has. well the problem here is they have 78 inch in and the motor bracket is hitting the floor (wasn't when they had 3" feet on it) and the adjustment hanger bolts aren't even engaged in the bracket to be useful so they obviously have to long. they also mentioned that i need to have the correct length for the foot brake band to work correctly and they have no way of knowing what size on that old of of machine.
thank you in advance.

i am sure i can get ones that work but i am looking for proper length that will allow the brake to work correctly. not to mention at 80 bucks for a matched set of belts i don't want 3 sets.

First issue I have been told is that there are no more "matched" belts that they are made carefully enough that any two are for all purposes identical.(I don't believe it but who am I?) Assuming that you can get to where the belt is used, adjust the motor to its approximately normal position and measure around the outside of the pulleys. That should be your belt size.

Tom

First issue I have been told is that there are no more "matched" belts that they are made carefully enough that any two are for all purposes identical.(I don't believe it but who am I?) Assuming that you can get to where the belt is used, adjust the motor to its approximately normal position and measure around the outside of the pulleys. That should be your belt size.

Tom

Yes i just was curious if someone could help since this forum has a wealth of knowledge. I was gonna do just that, set the tension adjustment at middle and measure if i didn't get a response. as far as matched sets i bought 2 belts from same napa for my zero turn 135 inches they were clearly different different length by at least 1/4 inch but only use one at a time and other was a spare so i wasn't worried for that application.

if 78 is too long just go shorter (obviously). Plenty of online calculator to tell you the difference in pulley to pulley spacing for belt lengths. Or simple math, or piece of string.

Gates says their belts do not need matching. I bought 3 for my Howa. Perfect.

if 78 is too long just go shorter (obviously). Plenty of online calculator to tell you the difference in pulley to pulley spacing for belt lengths. Or simple math, or piece of string.

Gates says their belts do not need matching. I bought 3 for my Howa. Perfect.

Yes obviously i know all this. but the details were in my original post about needing the EXACT original length for brake band to work properly. i am sure i could get just about any length to work. but was just wondering if someone had the same lathe. if not then they need not Reply.

Yes i just was curious if someone could help since this forum has a wealth of knowledge. I was gonna do just that, set the tension adjustment at middle and measure if i didn't get a response. as far as matched sets i bought 2 belts from same napa for my zero turn 135 inches they were clearly different different length by at least 1/4 inch but only use one at a time and other was a spare so i wasn't worried for that application.

IIRC it depends on belt model and make. Some are "close enough to match", some others need to have same batch number and rest of them are not suitable for parallel use at all.
Most (but not all) Optibelt models seem to be M=S or S=C marked meaning they are suited for set installation. "agricultural" and "classic tractor" belts seem to not matched.
https://www.optibelt.com/en/products/v-belts/

Back