What's new
What's new

Looking For Books On Monocoque Construction

SIP6A

Titanium
Would anybody have any suggestions on books that deal with monocoque construction?

Monocoque construction is used in the construction of aircraft and automobiles.

John Fenton in the UK wrote a number of books on the subject. There is also the book "Motor Vehicle Structures" by Brown, Robertson and Serpento.

I hope for your sake you are doing aluminum rivet construction... very well understood and reasonable. When you get into carbon fiber and bonding aluminum machined mounting points to the carbon it gets very deep.

I hope for your sake you are doing aluminum rivet construction... very well understood and reasonable. When you get into carbon fiber and bonding aluminum machined mounting points to the carbon it gets very deep.

Force distribution is a big deal with metal skin or composite construction, no good making a fine wing and fuselage if the two don't want to stay mated. And if doing CFRP, better to use titanium fittings for attachments, much better galvanic properties in that couple.

At least we have a very good and reliable understanding of riveting or welding two pieces of metal together... way way more variable with adhesives and composites.

I forgot about the "aircraft" bit.

"Analysis and Design of Flight Vehicle Structures" 1973 by Bruhn (Huge Book)

I second that suggestion. In it's earlier versions, that book is also entitled "Analysis and Design of Airplane Structures". I think my copy is the 1949 "updated" version. Tons of information, hand calculations and useful approximations if you're not doing FEA.

And if doing CFRP, better to use titanium fittings for attachments, much better galvanic properties in that couple.
It's hard to get direct contact between the CF and aluminum, the resin keeps getting in between them. I understand the danger but just have never had it happen to something I have made. If there is a thin layer of resin between the two then aluminum is fine.

for CF/aluminum joining they use tiny glass beads to mix in with your resin to ensure you have a non-conductive and proper thickness of bond line.

You almost always mix in glass beads to maintain glue thickness.... we made CF tubular A arms with machined aluminum inserts. When the bonds were good you could tear the rod ends apart with no damage to the glue joint or tube.

If we're going for Lots of Trouble, I think Costin did basic book or two on the subject, layman level.

It's hard to get direct contact between the CF and aluminum, the resin keeps getting in between them. I understand the danger but just have never had it happen to something I have made. If there is a thin layer of resin between the two then aluminum is fine.

Well, there's always the CTE issue - with CF's low expansion, you'll put less stress into the shear line with Ti having a CTE less than half that of Al if you've got significant temp excursions.

I'm sorry Milland, but living in Norfolk and fed a constant diet of crap about Lotus cars and their crook of a founder ( you'd think the guy could walk on water) and not to mention his equally crooked successors ! ..............I really couldn't give a flying f'k what their badge or poxy motors look like.

Back