What's new
What's new

Looking For D.R.O. Recommendations

I second the Newall recommendation... very durable, fairly immune to contamination, or at least easy to clean, you may be able to get away with supporting shorter scales at only one end, compatible knock offs are available (but a little hard to get hold of) and you can actually make your own scales

I got a Newall for my Clausing 5914 (12 x 36) lathe. The large stainless steel tube filled with balls (scale) is on the back of the bed with the reader on the back of the carriage. A thin carbon fiber tube filled with balls is cantilever mounted at the front of the cross slide with the reader on the carriage. The DRO is mounted off the back of the carriage using some existing screws. I did need to machine a flat on an as-cast surface on the carriage to mount the upper readout and make a custom mounting bracket and protective cover for the upper tube. Otherwise, I just had to drill and tap a few holes. The brackets for the large scale that were included were very easy to mount and adjust. the DRO mounting bracket was also easy to mount. It works great and has needed no attention since I installed it several years ago.

Larry

I put a DROPROS dro on my mazak lathe over a year ago and it hasn't had a single hiccup, install wasn't bad at all and they're very responsive and helpful when selecting what to order.

Worth checking out DRO PROS

While they may not be a "brand" name I have 3 systems so far and zero problems.......used in actual business.

I also have bought 3 of them, and also am quite happy with them. Though not perfect, I am a fan of magnetoresistive technology.

Back