What's new
What's new

Looking For Delta 14" DP-220 Drill Press Bearing Info!

seagiant

Cast Iron
Hi,
Looking for anyone that has rebuilt the spindle with new bearings for this drill press.

There are 3 bearings altogether, 2 in the spindle and one in the quill pulley.

The 2 in the spindle are the same and the one in the pully is bigger.

The 2 bearings in the spindle are specialty bearings as the inner race was extended, as the drill press could use different quills for shaping, router, ect.

These are available from a company I know but, pretty high dollar.

Was hoping to fix this myself for less money.

Hi,
Thanks, the old bearings are "New Departure" brand and no longer made.

As I said they are specialty bearings, and have a extended inner race to help strengthen the different quills used.

There are newer bearings # 6202-10, with a 5/8" inner race but it is not extended, but probably not really needed, for just drill press use?

Has anyone here used these in the spindle???

Just looking for info, thanks again!

Hi,
Thanks, there is really no spacer involved.

What could be done is find a bearing with the same OD and a larger ID, then turn a sleeve to press into the ID and have the ID of the sleeve fit the quill.

Unless I can find more info might just try the 6202-10's with no extended inner race as my machine is just for drilling.

Hoping to find someone here that has done this before, Delta made this drill press by the thousands over decades!

Hi,
This is from the Vintage Machinery site!

14" Drill Press (DP220)¶

2x 6202-10 (5/8" bore) for quill. These are not exact replacements as the original quill bearings were designed such that you could easily replace the quill with other designed for mortising or shaping, but for drill-only purposes these are suitable replacements. Original bearings' inner race is designed for a slip fit; newer 6202-5/8 bearings will have to be pressed on the spindle instead which makes the spindle non-interchangeable.
Pulley bearings are hard to find. Consider cleaning and reusing.

The original bearings have an extended inner race which is notched. They are pressed into the quill, but the spindle is a slip fit in the inner races.

The notches engage a pin at the lower end of the spindle. At the top, they engage lugs on a collar which holds the spindle in place with a set screw. The purpose of the notches is to make sure that the inner races turn with the spindle. If the spindle were to spin within the inner races it would wear, and would defeat the purpose of the bearings.

I suppose that you could find bearings that would be a press fit on the spindle, but you’d then lose the ability to swap spindles. There were a number of different spindles made for these drill presses. The standard spindles had a male Jacobs taper to fit a drill chuck. There were also spindles with female Morse tapers, a 5/16” threaded stub to take small shaper cutters, a flanged arbor to mount a cup wheel, and an arbor with a 1/2” bore to accept bushings for mortising drills. I don’t use the special arbors that often and usually keep an arbor with a keyless chuck in the drill press. But there are times when I switch it out for one with a keyed chuck. And when I want to use the mortising attachment, I use the arbor with the 1/2” bore.

In my opinion, you’d be giving up a lot by limiting yourself to just a single fixed drill chuck spindle.

Hi,
Thank you very much, the best explanation, I have gotten so far.

My Drill Press has the Jacobs chuck taper.

Maybe I can find a bearing suitable that I can make and install a sleeve, to take the place of the extended bearing race.

I have a lathe and a mill, should not be that hard and would keep the drill as originally made.

If anyone has done this and has bearing info would be happy to hear of it!

Thanks again!!!

Back