What's new
What's new

Looking for end mill recommendation

robert123

Stainless
I need a 1/2" end mill with a corner radius for cutting 303 annealed stainless steel. The operation is cutting an angled surface on the side of a block by lowering the end mill next to the block to the depth of the angle then moving up and back to cut the angle in one motion. The first cut is the full width of the end mill and then additional cuts are taken to widen the slot. So it is kind of a side cutting/slotting/surfacing operation. We have used a large corner radius (.090-.125") before, but is this better for resisting chipping? Am I correct in thinking that a variable flute would not be desirable?

I use lakeshore carbide 4 flute radius end mills .030 radius.

We machine a lot of little widgets in 316L SS
We rough it +.020 stock to go and then finish the angle with a 3/8 dia em at 72 ipm with a 0.020 step over. For our purposes this leaves a perfectly acceptable finish.

We have used a large corner radius (.090-.125") before, but is this better for resisting chipping? Am I correct in thinking that a variable flute would not be desirable?

If the machine and fixturing is stiff enough, a radius helps prevent chipping, but you've got a light duty mill - that may suggest using a 3/8" endmill rather than 1/2", even if it ups the cut time. Otherwise, if clearances allow use the shortest holder you can to keep the cutter close to the spindle bearings.

The variable flute really isn't an issue. If you're worried about uneven cusps, that's extremely minor compared to what you'll get stepping over to make each pass.

Back