What's new
What's new

Looking for a fastener - 1/2-13 x 1/2" cap screw center drilled/tap like "vent" screw

kazlx

Hot Rolled
Looking for a fastener - 1/2-13 x 1/2" cap screw center drilled/tap like "vent" screw

Do these exist commercially? It's basically to use as a locking mechanism to set tension on a simple assembly with a wave spring. Obviously they are straightforward to make, I'm just curious if they are already offered somewhere. I checked McMaster and vented screws are available, but the sizes stop at 1/4". I can make them if need be, but was just curious if someone already make something like that. I drilled and tapped one yesterday on the lathe and it works for what I need. I'm able to set the tension of the 1/2-13 and then just reach down the center and use a 1/8 allen to bottom out a 1/4-20 to bind up the threads. Looking at just using loctite as well.

Do these exist commercially? It's basically to use as a locking mechanism to set tension on a simple assembly with a wave spring. Obviously they are straightforward to make, I'm just curious if they are already offered somewhere. I checked McMaster and vented screws are available, but the sizes stop at 1/4". I can make them if need be, but was just curious if someone already make something like that.

Doo you mean like the head is "drilled for safety wire" ?

You're chances of finding them pre-drilled in a useful tap drill size is probably pretty low.

How many are you expecting to need?

You might reach out to a custom screw manufacturer and get them quoted. If they are already setup to run custom cap screws, adding a drilling operation that isn't very deep shouldn't be difficult. Plus they could probably send them to you tapped so you can just install them and save some of your time.

You might reach out to a custom screw manufacturer and get them quoted. If they are already setup to run custom cap screws, adding a drilling operation that isn't very deep shouldn't be difficult.

There are members on here that doo this kind of work.
Simply post the details in the Manufacturing Resources section.

At that quantity, it might make sense to have someone run them in a VMC. Machine a couple high-density fixtures and do them 50 or so at a time.

Regards.

Mike

That’s basically my plan. I’ll just modify the stock hardware myself if need be.

Set screws with through hex holes are a standard part. "Hollow-lock set screws" or "jam set screws". The 1/4" hex through hole on a 1/2-13 jam set screw would be big enough to get a 1/8" hex key through, no problem.

Back