What's new
What's new

Looking for fasteners to make a jumprope. Pictures inside.

VirtualSoup

Plastic
I apologize if this isn't a good place to ask, but googling has failed me.

I am looking to build a jumprope similar to ones that I am sharing in this gallery Jumpropes - Album on Imgur

There are basically 4 pieces that I see, and I can't figure out one of them.

The handle is straightforward, I can make that out of pretty much anything.
The part inside the handle is just a skateboard bearing.
The actual "rope" part is an aircraft cable.

But, what is the piece that I can use to actually go inside the bearing that will stick out and allow me to attach the rope to it. Does such a piece exist that I can buy, or all all the ropes I am posting in the example use a custom machined part?

Interesting idea. I am off to go look at nunchuck making tutorials to see if I can find some extra info.

I would look for "binding post" or eyebolt, tie rod end. I think they may have to be custom made to be a tight fit in to the bearing inner bore. I would expect a nut or screw threaded onto the inside end of the stud to keep it from pulling out.
Maybe a throttle shaft or brake connector of some type.
Do they really need to be adjustable?
Bill D.

That steel cable will quickly wear in the middle where it rubs the ground. this will cause steel splinters that will poke deep into the skin when you fold up the jumprope.

I thought Num chucks used chain?
I was in Jr. High shop when it was announced no more num chuk making in shop. I wonder if they still make ashtrays?
Bill D

That steel cable will quickly wear in the middle where it rubs the ground. this will cause steel splinters that will poke deep into the skin when you fold up the jumprope.
heat shrink tubing fixes that. My rogue rope has many repairs and is 8 years old.

Best think you can do is find a smaller bearing and simply run the cable straight through the ID, then put an clamping collar on the inside of the handle to keep it in place and trim the excess cable. I made a few that way, my wife still has hers but I still prefer my rogue.

Since when did a simple, common jump rope require;
1. handles
2. steel wire
3. hardware

It's a piece of rope.

Buy some fidget spinners (now marked down to $.25) and adorn
your jump rope with these.

Several cases of them.

I don't want to run the cable inside the handle, because I think it's better for it to be perpendicular to the handle, hence the piece I am looking for.

Since when did a simple, common jump rope require;
1. handles
2. steel wire
3. hardware

It's a piece of rope.

Buy some fidget spinners (now marked down to $.25) and adorn
your jump rope with these.

Several cases of them.
I like to think this type of product is a symptom of a solid economy- yeti anything, super-duper jump ropes, fidget spinners, etc.

We have some much disposable spending power (note, I did not say capital) in America that there are people buying $300 insulated plastic bags.

Those are junk. Legit "jump ropes" with bearings, or any good rope, are weighted. Those are garbage. Take a trip to a real gym or training facility. That garbage is no where to be found.

...although, it could easily be used to take your head off, or open up a nasty, almost amputation cut.

Be very careful.
I once sold a lathe to a guy who decided he wanted to manufacture trapeze equipment to circus performers.
Six months later I read in the LA Times where one of his trapeze ropes came apart mid-swing and killed the artist. Said manufacturer was sued and ruined. I lived in fear of some hotshit dingleberry lawyer tracking me down for a couple years.
Be very careful.

I actually did think about how would I stress test it, if I ever make it. I'd want to attach some kind of a weight to it, stick it into a drill and let it got for a few hours.

Be very careful.
I once sold a lathe to a guy who decided he wanted to manufacture trapeze equipment to circus performers.
Six months later I read in the LA Times where one of his trapeze ropes came apart mid-swing and killed the artist. Said manufacturer was sued and ruined. I lived in fear of some hotshit dingleberry lawyer tracking me down for a couple years.
Be very careful.

Hopefully they were able to track down and destroy any other equipment he may have made before it hurts someone else!

But, what is the piece that I can use to actually go inside the bearing that will stick out and allow me to attach the rope to it. Does such a piece exist that I can buy, or all all the ropes I am posting in the example use a custom machined part?

It looks like nothing special. Just a post with a hole for the cable, and it's pressed into the bearing. At least that's what it looks like to me.
I doubt you'll find something off the shelf to use, you might have to make them yourself or have some made up. Should be pretty cheap to have them made.

Let's back up a minute and specify what the aim is here. Are you trying to go into production and make money beating out a somewhat silly ten-buck item (Amazon.com : BeMaxx Fitness Jump Rope Bonus Workout Guide & Extra Cable - Adjustable High Speed Skipping Cable, Ball Bearings & Anti-Slip Handles - Pro Sports, Boxing, Training for Adults, Men, Women : Sports & Outdoors), or do you just want something that will help you to lose some weight? Actually, I suspect that whichever it is you will be able to lose some weight.

-Marty-

Back