What's new
What's new

Looking for a heavy duty linear actuator

Dale S

Plastic
I'm building a tracking solar panel array and I need a good heavy duty linear actuator with a 36" stroke and a 1500lb capacity and a 110 or 220vac motor. I've been searching around the web and it's really hard to find very many options. Does anybody have any ideas where I could find such a thing?

SKF
Bill D

What do the big trailers use to move their slideouts.
How many do you need.
Just buy some older Sylndra panels instead and save on the mounts.

You could probably do what you need with a smallish DC gearmotor and length of roller chain. May need a couple keeper-rolls too. Just mount the gearmotor to the middle of the base, have the roller chain go to each end of the frame. As you actuate the motor you drive the chain from side to side, rolling the array.

You may have to do some fiddling depending on what your pivot geometry is and what the kinematics are from gearmotor to array (if the chain gets tight during part of the motion you'll have to accommodate that), and add limit switches, etc.

Is this a full DIY project, or just the tracker?

I was going to but that is adding too many potential points of failure and I know somebody sells these things somewhere.

….Aaaaaand the solar cells put out ?

110/220 VAC, if it's a grid-enabled array. It would be way more hassle to tap into the DC voltage between the panels and the inverters, especially because the native DC voltage of the panel cells themselves are quite low. Depending on how the system is set up, there might not be more than single-digit DC Voltage anywhere in the system.

Are you using this for tilt, sun tracking, or both? You might be able to get more efficiency out of the system by setting a constant ~30° tilt than you would get with a vertical tracking unit.

Hmmm, that is a good looking unit. I could change the attachment points. Thanks for that link.

110/220 VAC, if it's a grid-enabled array. It would be way more hassle to tap into the DC voltage between the panels and the inverters, especially because the native DC voltage of the panel cells themselves are quite low. Depending on how the system is set up, there might not be more than single-digit DC Voltage anywhere in the system.

Are you using this for tilt, sun tracking, or both? You might be able to get more efficiency out of the system by setting a constant ~30° tilt than you would get with a vertical tracking unit.

So when a beeg beeg storm takes out the grid for a few days....you have no way to make power, even
though the sun is shining brightly ?

Simple charge controller (harbor Freight) and a deep cycle battery.....duh.

This is an AC coupled system with an SMA grid tie inverter and a schneider 60/48 hybrid inverter for charging batteries and a generator transfer switch if there is not enough battery power. Way cheaper than the three or four charge controllers I'd need.

Check out Joycedayton.com and look at their screw actuators. You might also look for one on ebay, I had exactly what you are looking for, sat on ebay for years, ran it 3 times on auction format, then tossed it in the Phukit Bucket.

Not sure if the motor has a gear cut on the armature shaft or if the gear can be removed and put onto a ac motor. Worst case make a jack shaft using the motor armature shaft and two bearing blocks.
I bet you could find a skf unit the correct size then switch out a dc motor from another SKF actuator into it.
I would like to see the actuators used to open missile silo armored blast doors.
Bill D

Minuteman Missile Launcher Closure Door

Back