What's new
What's new

Looking for help wiring drum switch single phase

Astaindsoul5446

Plastic
Hello everyone. I'm in need of some help wiring my drum switch on my Sheldon lathe.

Drum is a furnas switch.

Lathe was converted to single phase 220, when I got it, but apparently was never used because it had a hot leg wires directly to ground.
The motor is a northern 5hp part# B. -186656 -20.
It is reversible, but was never hooked to the drum properly. After fixing the short it ran but only in one direction.

I'm lookin for someone a tad more versed in wiring to tell me if I can use this drum switch with this configuration. And maybe to draw me a wiring diagram.
See pictures
Thank you
Jarod

60BFB919-CBDE-4F13-9577-B458D7549F56-120-00000000F37DC3C8.jpg

84CB2E9B-56C9-42C8-924F-950AB0416838-120-00000001284DA013.jpg

00DDD3DB-F992-43B1-82FA-ECE75AD2635E-120-000000010E99AA51.jpg

169BC33E-BB87-40B1-9A08-BE084B5D5C24-120-00000001031ECB1C.jpg

Your drum switch was made for a three phase motor. For single phase, I would put an on-off switch or motor starter with overload protection on the 220 line feeding the drum switch. I would run one hot wire to the bottom left terminal of the drum switch and the other hot wire to one of the motor input terminals. Run a wire from the bottom right terminal of the drum switch to the other motor input terminal. Then connect the blue and yellow wires to diagonally opposite upper and middle terminals on the drum switch and connect the other two drum switch terminals to to the terminals in the motor where the blue and yellow normally connect. I did that in my head, so see if someone else confirms it before running a quick smoke test. Connect the blue and yellow wires to the drum switch the other way around if the motor runs in reverse when the switch says forward. Larry

I forgot to mention it has a mag switch to shut on and off also
That is the motor starter. If it was installed for the original three phase motor it may have the wrong (or no) overload heaters for the present motor. But your new motor has its own thermal protection, so the starter overloads should not be needed. I will mention that 3450 RPM is faster than I would expect for a lathe motor. Or is it a wood lathe? And that "SPL" after the HP 5 tells me it is not a "real" 5 HP motor. Larry

Interestingly there appears to be another problem.

BLUE-RED are supposed to be jumpered together per the diagram on the side of the motor, and they are clearly not from the picture!

Once you resolve that...Connect like this using the upper 4 "dots" in the drum switch diagram.

L1 T1

T2 L2

T1 being yellow with black trace, T2 being the red/blue terminal. L1 being one leg of incoming 220vac x 1ph and L2 being the other "hot" leg.

A neutral wire, pulled from the panel, could be useful if you wanted 120vac lights, DROs, etc, without the need for a control transformer.

Matt I hooked the switch as you suggested and the motor turns ccw in forward and ccw in reverse.
I also switch blue and yellow as you suggested to do. Before wiring the switch.
Any suggestions?

Larry I'm going to sit down and write a diagram and try your way also, so I'm clear as to why I am doing.
Thanks
Jarod.

Larry you wiring worked perfect. Thank you everyone for your help. I appreciate it.
And I must agree with you about the speed. It does spin quite fast even in low gear.

Back