What's new
What's new

Looking for ideas: Tension controll on roll of film

pcm81

Cast Iron
I am making a ghetto roll laminator. I have an apache pouch laminator that i made a set of 4 arms for, which hold 2x 12mm shafts that 2 rolls of laminating film are sitting on. The rolls have 1" core, and i am thinking of using linear motion bushings as roll inserts: Uxcell a12102600ux0463 LMF12LUU 12mm x 21mm x 57mm Bushings (already have in hand). I'll have to build up the bushings OD to match roller ID. What i am looking for are suggestions to add tension control to tension the film as laminator pulls it in. A ghetto way of doing it would be 2 shaft collars on each shaft with a spring between one shaft collar and one of the bushings. The problem i have with this approach is that tension would be controlled by position of the shaft collar next to the spring; which would be hard to fine tune. I am looking for ideas on making some sort of mechanism that lets me essentially turn a knob/nut or a screw that adjust tension and keeps its position.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

...A ghetto way of doing it would be 2 shaft collars on each shaft with a spring between one shaft collar and one of the bushings. The problem i have with this approach is that tension would be controlled by position of the shaft collar next to the spring; which would be hard to fine tune. I am looking for ideas on making some sort of mechanism that lets me essentially turn a knob/nut or a screw that adjust tension and keeps its position.
Thread one end of the shaft and one collar. Then just turn the collar to adjust.

Thread one end of the shaft and one collar. Then just turn the collar to adjust.

I'll try, but not sure i can thread it. It's a linear motion shaft, so probably case hardened steel... i don’t have a lathe or power threader. Not sure if elbow grease alone can cut it.
Do they make something like clamp on threads or similar?

You may have problems cutting a case hardened shaft with a die.

You could make a 2 piece collar- imagine a 1" bolt with a 12mm hole through the center. Cross drill it for a 10-32, slide it in place and lock with a set screw. A nut threaded on the OD would push against the spring. Stick a 12mm fender washer between the nut and the spring if needed.

You may have problems cutting a case hardened shaft with a die.

You could make a 2 piece collar- imagine a 1" bolt with a 12mm hole through the center. Cross drill it for a 10-32, slide it in place and lock with a set screw. A nut threaded on the OD would push against the spring. Stick a 12mm fender washer between the nut and the spring if needed.

That is kind of what i am looking for, but instead of making it, would rather spend $20 and buy it. If such a thing is a standard part, any idea what it would be called?

Bellevue washers work well for providing tension on a shaft.
Another way is to add a pivot arm that presses on a brake pad or band. The force can be adjusted by positioning a weight closer or further out.

I have done that with a permanent magnet DC motor connected to a pinch roller with electronics to effectively govern the speed to zero. By building in a torque limit in the electronics, the drag will be constant regardless of speed.

Bill

I have done that with a permanent magnet DC motor connected to a pinch roller with electronics to effectively govern the speed to zero. By building in a torque limit in the electronics, the drag will be constant regardless of speed.

Bill

That is the "proper" way. I am looking for "easy and cheap" way for this ghetto set-up. Going with shaft collar + spring for now. When i can fine a threaded pipe in pipe or hollow bolt described above i can add that between spring and collar.

Back