What's new
What's new

Looking for inexpensive aluminum welding coupons

BMyers

Hot Rolled
I'm looking for a source of 1/8" aluminum "coupons" to practice tig welding.
Where besides eBay?
Any shops care to sell me a flat rate box of scrap?

Last edited:
Why would anyone choose “ebay” as their source for anything?

Buy a piece of 6061 flat bar, take it to ANY shop in your area and ask them to shear it into 4” pieces (Hint: whatever length you want).

Because it is the place to find many items that you will not find at any store in town, and may not be able to find anywhere "new", because it is obsolete. If you can build a better platform, please do.

There are plenty of online alternatives to ebay and Kijiji for that matter (owned by epay). Far better in design and execution. I need not bother creating another one of those websites.

For a Bakelite tuning knob off a 1950’s radio, sure. For something as ubiquitous as Al scrap? Not a chance.

For the OP, there are machine shops in the following cities in Iowa. Perhaps one is near you.

Marshalltown
Des Moines
Davenport
Lacona
Cedar Rapids
Iowa City
Albia
Charles City
Waterloo
Janesville
Kalona
Johnston
Bettendorf
Donaldson
Cedar Falls
Marion
Ames
Rock Valley
Waukee
Council Bluffs
Oskaloosa
Spencer
Milwaukee
Denison
Paullina
Muskatine
Hampton
Algona
Fairfield
Mason City
Triponi
Eldridge
Lewiston
Ft Dodge
Clinton
Delhi
Creston
Farley
Pleasantville

I live in one of the towns that you have on your list. There are machine shops in town, but none with a shear that I'm aware of. There was one, but he closed. You must live close to the "big city", where all services are available. It's not that way in rural areas. I just got in 2 gal of way lube. I know the Mobil rep personally and he tells me to order online. Just the way it is so your nice list of towns doesn't do a damn thing.
JR

If you can settle for 1/16". Obsolete road signs. Some people shoot at them with handguns, welding practice is a more peaceful alternative.

I have purchased many quality items, new and used, on ebay and it has always worked out well. I have also sold many items which also worked out well. Bad experience?

Not necessarily. This thread make it more obvious how they’ve been able to make a successful business though. It’s similar to inserts- many people here purchase inserts on ebay. I can’t fathom doing that. There are plenty of supply houses peddling inserts all over this province who offer superior pricing, will ship direct and are an email/phone call away. Granted, one of the major differences between Canadian and American small business owners may be the distances they’re willing to drive to obtain supplies. 100 km (62 miles) is nothing IME.

What you’re saying is despite the population density of the US, there are still areas so under-served that a businesses only option is to obtain basic raw materials online? Sounds like an opportunity.

Living in the middle of Iowa "taking it to any shop" is a limiting factor.
Buying material online is a fact of life for me.

The dude presumably has a welder, im pretty sure he would also own a hacksaw? Hence just buy a length of flat and cut it up, its like 10 minutes work for a dozen cuts in 1/8" aluminum 2" wide flat.

Not necessarily. This thread make it more obvious how they’ve been able to make a successful business though. It’s similar to inserts- many people here purchase inserts on ebay. I can’t fathom doing that. There are plenty of supply houses peddling inserts all over this province who offer superior pricing, will ship direct and are an email/phone call away.

The reason why most of us that do buy buy from there is price and availability, ebay can be far more cost effective n some things and low qty odd ball materials is one of them, i routinly buy alu grade inserts there for less than 20% the cost of the same damn inserts from any dealer in my country.

When I was 18 I was down at the Stafford swap meet (CT), and bought my first welder.
A220V Craftsman stick welder, came with a pile of damp rods, a helmet and an 12 foot
extionsion cord.. $80...

The only 220 plug in the house was the oven.. I fought my Mom for years... It seemed like
everytime I wanted to weld, she wanted to cook..

Anyways.... I wanted metal to practice on.. I went to the only place I knew that welded stuff.
Told them what I wanted and why I wanted it.. They pointed me to the solids scrap bin and
told me to take whatever I wanted. I got a BUNCH of stuff without seeming too greedy..

Anyways aluminum doesn't exactly grow on trees like steel does.. I used to find all kinds
of stuff to weld on (steel), by driving the power lines in the middle of nowhere.

E-bay is a good spot for dirt cheap random aluminum bits.. When everything TANKED about
a decade ago, I paid the bills here for quite a while selling drops on e-bay, and here.

If some kid came knocking on my door asking about some scrap bits, I'd let him have a few...
If he came back with a few samples I'd let him have even more.. I might even have a job or
2 for him to do..

What you’re saying is despite the population density of the US, there are still areas so under-served that a businesses only option is to obtain basic raw materials online? Sounds like an opportunity.

Yes! Most metal supply places are only interested in selling full sticks, not whatever random length you might need for a one off job. The crackmaster can supply odd lengths, at a cost, and then they bang you on shipping too. So there are more than a few sellers of raw stock on ebay filling the small order niche market.

I work in Ames,I don't know any who have a shear or would waste time on someone looking for scrap to practice welding.

Try Howe's Welding in Ames. Across from Target. It's been probably 15 years since I've been in there. But I think it is still there and they could shear some flat stock for you.

-Jim

There are plenty of online alternatives to ebay and Kijiji for that matter (owned by epay). Far better in design and execution. I need not bother creating another one of those websites.

For a Bakelite tuning knob off a 1950’s radio, sure. For something as ubiquitous as Al scrap? Not a chance.

For the OP, there are machine shops in the following cities in Iowa. Perhaps one is near you.

Marshalltown
Des Moines
Davenport
Lacona
Cedar Rapids
Iowa City
Albia
Charles City
Waterloo
Janesville
Kalona
Johnston
Bettendorf
Donaldson
Cedar Falls
Marion
Ames
Rock Valley
Waukee
Council Bluffs
Oskaloosa
Spencer
Milwaukee
Denison
Paullina
Muskatine
Hampton
Algona
Fairfield
Mason City
Triponi
Eldridge
Lewiston
Ft Dodge
Clinton
Delhi
Creston
Farley
Pleasantville

please name some of these sites so we can use them instead. Or are they just for Canada like Kijji is now? many suppliers will not sell to the public. Graingers will not sell to you without an account. To get an account you must be buying from them already so it is a catch 22.
The local Air Conditioning place will not sell to me since I do not have a contractors license. I do have my freon EPA license. I had to have both my split ac units shipped form Florida to California and they were made in China.
Bil lD.
modesto, CA USA

Local scrap yard has a bunch of aluminum bits for $1.50 or so a pound.

Many supply houses sell remnant stock.

Table or other wood cutting saws make short work of sheet aluminum.

May need to get the phone out and call a few places.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Back