What's new
What's new

Looking for inserted mill with large effective shank for 40 taper machine

bryan_machine

Diamond
The goal: Effectively a 50mm or 2" cutting diameter reduced neck endmill (but with neck very close to 50mm) that would fit on a cat40 tool holder. And no tool diameter larger than 2.5" - because that's the limit of the tool changer.
Would like the "clear of shoulder" reach to be at least 4".
(This is for milling the sides of tall blocks and weldments in a 3-axis machine.)

So something like a 50mm face mill mounted on a very long arbor, I guess, is what I have in mind - but I've not found such.

I've seen 1.25" endmills (the practical limit for a cat40 endmill holder, yes?)

Stiffness rises as the power of diameter (3rd? 4th?) - so a for example 50mm face mill on a 49mm shaft (maybe integral to tool holder) should be much stiffer - especially at 4" effective length.

(Yes, I understand that such a mill, run too aggresively, could easily strain the machine structure - just like a 3" face mill on somewhat shorter arbor can shake a machine badly if the adc or rdc are too large.)

Suggestions for this?

What I actually meant (I discovered after searching) was a face/shoulder mill mounted to a very long arbor - the ones CarbidBob points to are great find.
(As usual finding the right search term will drive to you whit's end - then they are everywhere.)

When I said "endmill" I was referring to "reduced shank endmill" - so more what CarbideBob pointed to.

What I actually meant (I discovered after searching) was a face/shoulder mill mounted to a very long arbor - the ones CarbidBob points to are great find.
(As usual finding the right search term will drive to you whit's end - then they are everywhere.)

When I said "endmill" I was referring to "reduced shank endmill" - so more what CarbideBob pointed to.
I see now, I was thinking you wanted to mill on the side, about 4" or so.

Not sure as you have mixed inserted mill and endmill.
Are you looking for something like these but in a cat?: BT (BT MAS) Damped Face Mill Arbors

A word of caution about those; I don't have any first hand experience with those particular holders but...

I use a lot of anti-vibration tools and they are very expensive, so when these appeared on the market at a fraction of the price I took notice, but I was wary of them as Canela are very much a budget brand. I asked one of our regular tool reps if he was aware of them as I know he gets around a lot of shops and does pay attention to brands and tools beyond his own. He has no affiliation or competing product so no reason to lie. He told me that another of his customers had bought a few of these, tempted as I was by the price, but as expected found that they didn't really do much in the way of vibration suppression compared to the real deal from Sandvik or Seco.

And no tool diameter larger than 2.5" - because that's the limit of the tool changer.

That seems awful small for a Cat 40, what machine? The Cat 40's that I've seen have a larger capacity.

Also, note that the capacity is only for two of those diameters in sequential pots. So you could in theory have a 6" diameter tool,but make sure to keep the adjacent pots empty.

Mtndew - that is indeed the consumes-only-one-tool spot size limit, and it's for a haas with the 50 station ATC (which should arrive literally any day now.) Yes, I could devote more tool spots to this tool - but my working method is to try to have a maximal libarary of tools in the tool changer (fill it up with pretty much standard tools) so that for most parts the part can be run without having to make or load tools into the changer. (I make very short runs, 1 being typical. For parts that I can CAM quickly, it may take longer to load pre-made tools into the ATC than it does to run the job -> biggest ATC I could reasonably find ...)

Having the tool diameter be bigger means more "free travel" is needed at the ends of large parts, so bigger isn't so much a feature here. (It's not actually intended as a face mill or fly cutter...)

Back