What's new
What's new

Looking for knowledge resources for machining high temp alloys & aerospace component

Roibeard

Plastic
Looking for knowledge resources for machining high temp alloys & aerospace component

Hello All,

I'm a Manufacturing Process Engineer in the CNC manufacturing of aerospace components.
I have 25 years of CNC machining, programming and processing experience but am always looking to advance my knowledge and understanding.
Currently, I am looking to increase my knowledge of machining high temp alloys and aerospace components.
Can anyone recommend books/articles that would be helpful to me?

My suggestion would be to contact Walter and see when their next tool demo days are. Tungaloy does the same.

They will go over some high performance techniques at their facility and break down the science behind everything.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Hello All,

I'm a Manufacturing Process Engineer in the CNC manufacturing of aerospace components.
I have 25 years of CNC machining, programming and processing experience but am always looking to advance my knowledge and understanding.
Currently, I am looking to increase my knowledge of machining high temp alloys and aerospace components.
Can anyone recommend books/articles that would be helpful to me?

most tooling catalogs have feed and speed and alloy charts. as well as cutters designed for specific material and not just general purpose
basically aluminum to harder metal is a wide range. vibration problems and breaking corners off or sudden tool failures and fast abrasive wear are common with the harder metals. that and hp requirements.
obviously if part cost is over $10,000. most tend to be more cautious. that is most dont risk scrapping a part trying to save 10 or 20 minutes and have to remake a part that takes maybe 20 hours or more to make.
it usually helps to create a tool database or history log. also a part machining log. obviously some part shapes have their own learning curve to manufacture. rarely working with solid cube shapes of metal. some parts can vibrate badly trying to machine too aggressively

My suggestion would be to contact Walter and see when their next tool demo days are. Tungaloy does the same.

They will go over some high performance techniques at their facility and break down the science behind everything.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Iscar does the same thing. They're basically live infomercials for their product, but they do have a great deal of information.

Back