What's new
What's new

Looking For a Lathe chuck

Avelina

Plastic
I don't know if this is the correct spot to leave this post so please let me know if i need to place this else where.
But i'm looking for a self centered chuck that will fit my Bosses lathe machine. the machine is a craftsman and its model number is 109. 20630
Does anyone know where i can find one if you need more info let me know. For anyone that replies to this post thank you for your time and help.

And the model 109 is to put it kindly is a bit of a joke as far as a lathe goes. Spindle has a wimpy 1/2" thread. Try eBay and the home machinist forums .

Last edited:
Please read the following link on using the bad word "Craftsman Lathe".

Machinery Discussion Guidelines

Thread will be close shortly, no future discussion.

You can put a want to buy ad in the tooling, parts and accessories sectio of this website. Just do not mention the lathe brand. But do specify the chuck diameter, number of jaws and mounting thread size.

I think that lathe has a 1/2-20 spindle thread.

Old 3-jaw self-centering chucks will usually have only one set of jaws still present because the second set got lost when the chuck was sold the second or third time. If you get a new chuck, it will have all six jaws, but you may have trouble finding a new chuck with threads to fit that 70 year-old lathe.

Larry

Ebay...but better off to get a new chuck...better off the get a better lathe.

To be sure micrometer measure the thread OD and count the threads per inch.

An old clunker a self centering chuck will likely be off center and wobble .010 or more.

Ebay...but better off to get a new chuck...better off the get a better lathe.

To be sure measure the thread OD and count the threads per inch.

So true... I had one of those lathes that cost $50 brand new in 1953. I can say it is one of the worst lathes ever made. But I did learn to turn steel on it. I used only a 4 inch 4-jaw independent chuck on mine. What a relief it was to get a better lathe once I had a job and money of my own.

A 1/2-20 nut from a hardware store should fit the spindle and confirm the thread size. Or measure the diameter of the spindle thread and use a common 1/4-20 screw to confirm the pitch.

Larry

Back