What's new
What's new

Looking for light duty work holding/fixturing

Mhan7

Plastic
So I have been tasked with designing a scanning fixture, which has a pressure foot at the contact end. It makes ~1 lb of contact pressure with the part - which is a very thin composite part.

I need to come up with a very light duty holding scheme for these parts - which are typically around 3 feet long. They are 2-3 plies thick, with structural reinforcements ~1" from the leading and trailing edges - which are the edges to be fixtured.

My first idea, was to use rods with adjustable bracketry. Sort of like what you see with scientific equipment (support stands). The thing is, I don't know where to find such a thing. The solution should be generic, able to accommodate a wide variety of part configurations, and infinitely adjustable. Toolless would amazing, but this might not be realistic.

I'm thinking that those of you who use CMM, must have some clever solutions. For those parts that you need to barely fixture, and maintain as close to "free state" as possible.

Thanks in advance.

This may or may not help you but here goes. I made some go-bar decks for my son who is a luthier. Some people call them spring boards. They were so handy I tried using them in some very light clamping systems and they work quite well. You can even buy spring loaded go-bars but most folks just use wooden dowels or fiberglass rods. The nice thing is you can adjust the clamping force and put them basically anywhere you need them. If this sounds like horshit to you then please ignore.

springbar01.jpg

Back