What's new
What's new

Kaeser prices, what you get guys in your area?

m0rg0th

Plastic
Morning, gentlemen,

So I was on the market looking for a new air compressor for my shop and was thinking to get Kaeser AirCenter with a single phase option, as the whole business is now one may army in my garage without three phase power supply.

I'm not using too much air right now but was thinking to get a rotary screw compressor and AirTurbine combo to do some 3D milling with small tools (like 3D engraving with small ball mills). So obviously my current 60 gal piston compressor is the waay too underpowered for this task so getting something more capable was the idea.

Contacted local Kaeser dealership in Toronto and got a quote for SM7 AirCenter, which is relatively large and has around 34CFM and three phase power supply. The quote for this one was approx 9.500cad which is approx 7.500usd. When I was researching Kaeser compressors I've found that only SX model can have single phase upgrade for around 600-700usd.

So I asked a salesman to provide me with two more quotes, for SX7 and SX5 AirCenters etc., both with a single phase option.

Well, what I get in the mail yesterday made me laughing:

SX5 AirCenter, which is 5HP and has 23CFM (like 2.5HP and 10CFM less), obviously smaller footprint and smaller tank, comparing to SM7 ... will cost me 12.000cad !!! Which is 2.500cad more comparing to a SM7 AirCenter which is larger, faster and so on so on...
SX7 is approx 12.900cad.

I brought up my concerns to AirSolutions Canada, and I was told that

a) Kaeser is raising prices for 2018
b) single phase option the is super-duper device which will cost me a fortune

and yeah, the wait time here is around three months.

Just wondering, what do you guys think about all of this. What prices you get in your area for SX5 & SX7?

For now I'm thinking of just getting a few Lyndex-Nikken spindle speeders because the whole Kaeser thing is looking frustrating to me.

cheers.

I don't know your situation or what things are like in Canada, but down here good used compressors and dryera bring 10% (or sometimes less) of new, at auction. For me, it was worth the potential of having to fix one, though as of yet both the compressors I bought are still running like tops. Some things like cnc equipment might be scarier used, but for things that are mostly mechanical, I feel comfortable buying used. Being a guy with a machine shop I feel confident in my ability to fix it myself if it throws a fit, and for that matter could even make most replacement parts in a short period of time, if parts are expensive or have a long lead time.

I don't know your situation or what things are like in Canada, but down here good used compressors and dryera bring 10% (or sometimes less) of new, at auction. For me, it was worth the potential of having to fix one, though as of yet both the compressors I bought are still running like tops. Some things like cnc equipment might be scarier used, but for things that are mostly mechanical, I feel comfortable buying used. Being a guy with a machine shop I feel confident in my ability to fix it myself if it throws a fit, and for that matter could even make most replacement parts in a short period of time, if parts are expensive or have a long lead time.

Yep, buying used is another option, however all good auction deals aren't here in Canada :) Even buying a new one from https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com makes more sense to me, probably get one from there and have it delivered to a US/Canada border and have it imported is not bad idea at all.

I simply cannot swallow ~10US grands for 5HP rotary :) while I can get a different brand with all bells and whistles (computer included) for around 6K-7K USD. Things are really strange around Kaeser here in Canada.

How far are you from Toronto? I have a buddy up there who might have a line on one. Too bad you're not closer, i have a spare 7.5hp rotary I am trying to get rid of!

Check Atlas Copco they had a sale a couple of weeks ago.They had a 7.5 hp for I think for about $6500 US which I was think about .

I just installed an Atlas Copco GX5 1-phase unit (7.5 HP rotary). It was way less than $6,500, and I didn't have to do anything unsavory to get the deal ;).

So far so good. The unload timer setting is longer than I would like, but since the unit is significantly quieter than the previous piston compressor, it's fine.

Regards.

Mike

On edit -- I should have mentioned that I didn't get the unit with the integrated air dryer since I already have an aid dryer, so adding that would bring it closer to $6,500.

Was quoted for a Airtower 5C with filters at $7,928 from the local sales rep. Had to make 4 phone calls and got transferred around a number of times to find someone who was "allowed" to give me a local quote. Took him like 15 minutes to find the price and that is without 9% sales tax and $500 shipping. The comparable Atlas-Copco was $2k cheaper and their service and customer support was fantastic through the whole thing so I did that instead.

Thank you guys for your feedback!

Will definitely look into Atlas options. I've seen that John from NYC CNC has also opted for Atlas rotary screw compressor so this should be the way to go!

Thank you!

Just thought I'd add to the info for anyone's future reference. Got a quote from Kaeser for a new SX-5 Aircenter (21.2 CFM @ 125psig). The price is $10,250 plus $800 freight. Luckily I've found the exact same unit (2017 model) on Craigslist with less then 100 (yes, 100!) hours for half that. A hobbyist bought it and never used it and eventually realized it was way too much compressor for what he needed. Score. But new ones are dang pricey.

Just thought I'd add to the info for anyone's future reference. Got a quote from Kaeser for a new SX-5 Aircenter (21.2 CFM @ 125psig). The price is $10,250 plus $800 freight. Luckily I've found the exact same unit (2017 model) on Craigslist with less then 100 (yes, 100!) hours for half that. A hobbyist bought it and never used it and eventually realized it was way too much compressor for what he needed. Score. But new ones are dang pricey.

well,if anyone here wants a MUCH cheaper and bigger -i have this sitting gathering dust!--nor cal,easy to move in a pickup will apologize in advance for whatever perspective the pics are in!!--thanks,pat

Attachments

• IMG_1420.jpg
    IMG_1420.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1421.jpg
    IMG_1421.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 101

Back