Looking for a machinist
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 203
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    17

    Default Looking for a machinist

    Hello, Im in northern IL and I am looking for a knowledgeable machinist to repair some Honda ATV engine cases for me. New ones are not available. There are a couple guys that do this repair but they are 1 man shops and they are months behind. The repair that is required is super common and there are lots of these cases that need to be repaired and will continue to need repair in the future. I am willing to ship if needed.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Geilenkirchen, Germany
    Posts
    2,914
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1626
    Likes (Received)
    1532

    Default

    Good luck. The reason you find yourself in this situation is that these repairs cost more in labor than you are willing to pay. Only one man shops have the low overhead that might allow them to do this, but only in the case of the absence of more profitable work.

  3. Likes sealark37, mhajicek liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sussex, England
    Posts
    3,551
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    15
    Likes (Received)
    830

    Default

    Generally with this sort of repair issue there is significant set-up effort and time involved in getting ready for machining when using general purpose machinery. If its to be possible or economically viable the actual repair is usually pretty straightforward. Its the set-up time that breaks the job.

    If, as you say, the repair is common look into jigging / mount arrangements to make set-up quick and easy. Crankcases by their very nature always have accurate surfaces to pick up on.

    If you have a jig made that can be set up on the machine in very few minutes and can supply a reasonable size batch of crankcases at a time to have done, maybe 20 or 30, then folk will be more receptive to the job. Either come to an arrangement with one local shop that retains the jig or send jig and the batch of cases to the firm that is going to do the job.

    Frankly if its 10 minutes to set the jig up and 5 minutes per case and you turn up with a batch of 20 cases I'm going to be a lot more receptive to the whole thing. A couple of hours at shop rate spread over 20 is probably economically sensible for you too.

    Turn up with five when I'll be spending half an hour cobbling up something to hold them and 10 minutes each to get then just so and you will get a pretty dusty answer. Still about 2 hours shop time so its four time the price but its a embuggeration job that I just don't want.

    Even "the guy in the garage" is getting wise to these things.

    If its not worth your while spending out on a jig and collecting a sensible size batch then the job isn't common enough to be worth my, or any other shops, while doing anyway.

    Clive

  5. Likes digger doug, TeachMePlease, FJsapper liked this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    7,342
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    9832
    Likes (Received)
    9389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R1Rider View Post
    Hello, Im in northern IL and I am looking for a knowledgeable machinist to repair some Honda ATV engine cases for me. New ones are not available. There are a couple guys that do this repair but they are 1 man shops and they are months behind. The repair that is required is super common and there are lots of these cases that need to be repaired and will continue to need repair in the future. I am willing to ship if needed.
    And just what Honda ATV is this for? What is the nature of damage? First thing that pops in my head is 250R threw a chain.
    But unless you specify, nobody has a clue. If it involves a bearing fit? Start watching ebay...........
    I doubt you want to see the price to bore and sleeve for the countershaft bearing. And its a sketchy repair anyway.
    So...........what Honda ATV? And what is the damage?

  7. Likes digger doug liked this post
  8. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,037
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    20
    Likes (Received)
    195

    Default

    you might find someone on the hobby shop forums easier than here.

    Dave

  9. Likes digger doug liked this post
  10. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    peekskill, NY
    Posts
    27,317
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    6360

    Default

    Don't be a dope, put your request in the proper forum section:

    https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...ring-resource/

  11. Likes digger doug, anchorman liked this post
  12. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Posts
    268
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    35
    Likes (Received)
    80

    Default

    I’m curious . Can’t figure out how to private message you at the moment somehow . Contact me here and I’ll send you address and or can send some pics to phone .

  13. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steve-l View Post
    Good luck. The reason you find yourself in this situation is that these repairs cost more in labor than you are willing to pay. Only one man shops have the low overhead that might allow them to do this, but only in the case of the absence of more profitable work.
    Im not in a situation. I jsut started looking

  14. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    17

    Default

    yes, a jig to hold the part would help but it has a flat surface that could be clamp'd down and then machined.

    I dont have a batch unless I start buying up all the broken cases which I thought about doing. What I need now, is someone that has the time in a shop to figure out a method to do this and we move forward from there. These cases are all broke in the same place. Going rate to repair these is ballpark of $250.

  15. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Posts
    6,291
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2221
    Likes (Received)
    2293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R1Rider View Post
    Im not in a situation. I jsut started looking
    The situation is that you can't find anyone not busy enough to do your work without a long wait, so yeah, you are. Post a few pictures of the damage you need repaired, surely you will be able to find someone here that will do it, there are probably plenty of guys like me that aren't in the biz full time anymore that might be able to help you out.

  16. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    And just what Honda ATV is this for? What is the nature of damage? First thing that pops in my head is 250R threw a chain.
    But unless you specify, nobody has a clue. If it involves a bearing fit? Start watching ebay...........
    I doubt you want to see the price to bore and sleeve for the countershaft bearing. And its a sketchy repair anyway.
    So...........what Honda ATV? And what is the damage?
    Smart guy 250R. the seal bore around the shifter broke from chain whack. I have another case where the clutch actuator arm area is broke and needs to be bored from the top down and will need some reshaping on the outside.

    If it helps, I have a good case with no damage to take all the measurements. If it helps to CMM the outside to make a 3D drawing in cad...?

  17. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Don't be a dope, put your request in the proper forum section:

    https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...ring-resource/
    I dont really know my way around this forum, sorry.

  18. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mmarquette View Post
    I’m curious . Can’t figure out how to private message you at the moment somehow . Contact me here and I’ll send you address and or can send some pics to phone .
    I sent you a PM

  19. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eKretz View Post
    The situation is that you can't find anyone not busy enough to do your work without a long wait, so yeah, you are. Post a few pictures of the damage you need repaired, surely you will be able to find someone here that will do it, there are probably plenty of guys like me that aren't in the biz full time anymore that might be able to help you out.
    20210612_210621.jpg20210612_210616.jpg

    this is my first effort to find someone outside of the 3 guys that have already done this repair. 2 pics attached.

    the case half with the weld in the center needs to be bored from the top down, there are 2 needle shell bearings that fit in there, then a hole needs to be drilled from the back side. I have 3 of these halves. 2 need repair. between the 3 all measurements can be taken if needed.

    Any final shaping, I can do later. I have had to do quite a bit of it over the years and have gotten pretty good with it.

    thank you

  20. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    peekskill, NY
    Posts
    27,317
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    6360

    Default

    So, holes not in any particular location or diameter? Just put it on a drill press and crank 'em out, looks like a dead simple job. You don't need a machinist for that.

  21. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Flushing/Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    10,769
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    632
    Likes (Received)
    8677

    Default

    LOL,
    Could it be that Mr Rozen is being sarcastic?... Say it is not true
    Easy op an with a print or some information most three year experienced machinists can do this.
    The problem becomes time and money in the setup stage.
    Bring me one and bring me 100 and the price per part way different.
    Bob

  22. Likes eKretz, wheelieking71 liked this post
  23. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Posts
    6,291
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2221
    Likes (Received)
    2293

    Default

    Pretty sure he means to send the three cases to someone and have them do the measuring off the good one. Which definitely makes this a lot longer job. If there were guaranteed volume it might be worth making a little fixture for someone. But for onesie-twosie I'm with Bob. I wonder how often this actually happens to people. I rode dirt bikes a lot when I was younger and I think I had a chain come off maybe 5 or 6 times max. But never any case damage. That was on 250cc 2-stroke dirtbikes and quads, so fairly strong.

  24. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    So, holes not in any particular location or diameter? Just put it on a drill press and crank 'em out, looks like a dead simple job. You don't need a machinist for that.
    yawn......

  25. Likes Dan from Oakland liked this post
  26. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eKretz View Post
    Pretty sure he means to send the three cases to someone and have them do the measuring off the good one. Which definitely makes this a lot longer job. If there were guaranteed volume it might be worth making a little fixture for someone. But for onesie-twosie I'm with Bob. I wonder how often this actually happens to people. I rode dirt bikes a lot when I was younger and I think I had a chain come off maybe 5 or 6 times max. But never any case damage. That was on 250cc 2-stroke dirtbikes and quads, so fairly strong.
    this happens alot, very common on the 85-89 Honda ATC/TRX 250R motor. chain snaps and whacks the case and shifter shaft and bends the shaft down and snaps off the bottom of the case. This is kind of a catch 22. I am willing to buy up all the broken cases out there and send them to someone for repair, but first I need to find someone that is willing and competent enough to handle a project like this.

  27. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    369
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    80
    Likes (Received)
    175

    Default

    Who is doing the welding? You or us?


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •