Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pretty much anyone here amongst the regulars is competent enough to do this, it's not complicated for a decent machinist. The willing part is what you need to work on, heh. Are you affiliated with a dealership of some sort, or?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Erich View Post
    Who is doing the welding? You or us?
    I can have the welding done.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eKretz View Post
    Pretty much anyone here amongst the regulars is competent enough to do this, it's not complicated for a decent machinist. The willing part is what you need to work on, heh. Are you affiliated with a dealership of some sort, or?
    No, I just wrench on alot of stuff, restore and make aftermarket parts.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How about a photo of a good case to compare with.

But it looks pretty simple if I was quoting this at my former job I'd say 3 hours for the first one.

Ps there over 100$ per hour now...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is what I would want were I to do it-

Batches of ten at a time. They need to be clean, like ready to assemble clean. Washed in degreaser, not full of glass bead, that kind of shit. Have the welding done- Welding in your pictures looks good except for the bore that's only 1/2 welded. If you weld up a bore, weld the whole thing either solid or build up the bore all the way around.

Ship on a pallet or in boxes- Fit in a flat rate box?

The price for machining 10 same cases would be $500. If there are variations then 10 of each or minimum charge of $500 per variation.

You should be able to find somebody close who's starting out with a CNC mill in their garage and avoid the shipping bit.

How much are these cases worth? Doing a hundred or so from solid would probably be a wash compared to fixed the old junk.

6. Likes eKretz, mhajicek liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hbjj View Post
    How about a photo of a good case to compare with.

But it looks pretty simple if I was quoting this at my former job I'd say 3 hours for the first one.

Ps there over 100$ per hour now...
    hope these help and you can zoom in close enough.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190902_201904.jpg   20190902_201910.jpg   20190902_201916.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    This is what I would want were I to do it-

Batches of ten at a time. They need to be clean, like ready to assemble clean. Washed in degreaser, not full of glass bead, that kind of shit. Have the welding done- Welding in your pictures looks good except for the bore that's only 1/2 welded. If you weld up a bore, weld the whole thing either solid or build up the bore all the way around.

Ship on a pallet or in boxes- Fit in a flat rate box?

The price for machining 10 same cases would be $500. If there are variations then 10 of each or minimum charge of $500 per variation.

You should be able to find somebody close who's starting out with a CNC mill in their garage and avoid the shipping bit.

How much are these cases worth? Doing a hundred or so from solid would probably be a wash compared to fixed the old junk.
    like anything, these cases are worth what someone is willing to pay. People with good used cases for sale are marking them at $800-$1100 for a matching pair. You can buy a billet set for $1250 but they are made in small batches so you cant just call and order a set. New aftermarket cast aluminum cases are also available but in batches. Before covid, you could buy a good set of cases for 450-650.

If someone was going to setup to CNC a batch of 10, $500 wouldnt be a bad price, especially if the program/tooling retained all of the original geometry and after I vapor blast these they looked like they were never repaired.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by R1Rider View Post
    like anything, these cases are worth what someone is willing to pay. People with good used cases for sale are marking them at $800-$1100 for a matching pair. You can buy a billet set for $1250 but they are made in small batches so you cant just call and order a set. New aftermarket cast aluminum cases are also available but in batches. Before covid, you could buy a good set of cases for 450-650.

If someone was going to setup to CNC a batch of 10, $500 wouldnt be a bad price, especially if the program/tooling retained all of the original geometry and after I vapor blast these they looked like they were never repaired.

Whoa! Billet available? How can anyone compete with magic shit like that?

10. Likes digger doug, Joe Miranda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Over the years I have been approached by all kinds of guys asking me to make or repair stuff for their motorcycles, sport cars, hot rods, antique cars, RC cars etc. All of them said there is a real market for (fill in the blank) so if I came up with a good solution it would be a good piece of work. It isn't. Never. Been at this for three decades now.

The reason people fix stuff is usually to save money (occasionally because they like to). Everybody is the same way, and I get it - because so am I. I am always buying used stuff that needs work and fixing it and putting it back into service.

Sometimes I will take on the project as a service to the community - especially if it's a farmer. My son's just recently did a job for a farmer in exchange for being allowed to hunt arrowheads in his fields. We made a friend - cool.

My rule though is that people have to be nice to me. You come across as a jerk or cop an attitude with me like I owe you something and I will show you the door so fast it will make your head spin. Also, no one gets to watch us work - no one. Leave your part and when it's done I will call you and you can come and pick it up - I don't care if I'm only drilling one hole in the thing.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Miranda View Post
    Over the years I have been approached by all kinds of guys asking me to make or repair stuff for their motorcycles, sport cars, hot rods, antique cars, RC cars etc. All of them said there is a real market for (fill in the blank) so if I came up with a good solution it would be a good piece of work. It isn't. Never. Been at this for three decades now.

The reason people fix stuff is usually to save money (occasionally because they like to). Everybody is the same way, and I get it - because so am I. I am always buying used stuff that needs work and fixing it and putting it back into service.

Sometimes I will take on the project as a service to the community - especially if it's a farmer. My son's just recently did a job for a farmer in exchange for being allowed to hunt arrowheads in his fields. We made a friend - cool.

My rule though is that people have to be nice to me. You come across as a jerk or cop an attitude with me like I owe you something and I will show you the door so fast it will make your head spin. Also, no one gets to watch us work - no one. Leave your part and when it's done I will call you and you can come and pick it up - I don't care if I'm only drilling one hole in the thing.
    i call it a reflector attitude . your nice to me i am nice to you to a point . when someone try's to pull the ol stone soup on me then they can pack sand . the guy that use to come in my dad's shop warran the wop aka cheep cheep. and cry i never made much money. would try to pull that crap on me wanting me to do machine work for him . and he has a nice lathe and mill . i would tell him your only going to get out of life what you put in to it and whatever you want to do you can't start any younger . you can start off by picking them strawberry's and work your way up to them bananas as martin strouthers was telling chong when boy when are you going to get yourself a job .

13. Likes Joe Miranda, MotoX liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have you called whomever is already making these and asked how much if you buy 10, 25, 100 pcs?

If you can sell these in quantity then you have the magic sauce everyone else who is already doing this stuff is missing.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

50$ each?

No way.
    The programming and fixtures alone would be many times that.
    You would have to do many many pieces to make any $.

This is a make wages job.

I like doing this kind of stuff and would be willing to help but I'm not going to work for 10$ an hour.

If you're really into this stuff maby you should get yourself a old mill and do it yourself?

It's really not that difficult to do and you could offer other services like clearanceing for stroker cranks and even boring shorter cylinders as your skills and tooling grow.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    Have you called whomever is already making these and asked how much if you buy 10, 25, 100 pcs?

If you can sell these in quantity then you have the magic sauce everyone else who is already doing this stuff is missing.
    No I haven't. The discount on those qty wouldnt be all that great because everyone in the middle needs to come out of the deal with a 42' Fountain Lightning with twin Sterling 1200HP engines and a Lambo for their college dropout that has never worked a day in his life. LOL

It would be more profitable for me to find a shop that can reverse engineer an OEM case and then CNC a complete billet. But what would the profit be on that? On a batch of 20 they might cost $600 a pair and I have to put out $12k and wait to get my money back. I'd rather buy a bunch of broken ones for $100/each and get the cost down to a reasonable level and sell a refurbished set for $800, I think the margins would be better and they would sell faster. Not everyone cares about the bling of a billet case. Those are the guys that build quads for $20k and never ride them and sell them for a $5k loss after a year.

I love the discussion but I feel like we are going way off track here. I'm just looking for someone that is up to this challenge. If you can do it, awesome, if its not worth your time, thats fine too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hbjj View Post
    50$ each?

No way.
    The programming and fixtures alone would be many times that.
    You would have to do many many pieces to make any $.

This is a make wages job.

I like doing this kind of stuff and would be willing to help but I'm not going to work for 10$ an hour.

If you're really into this stuff maby you should get yourself a old mill and do it yourself?

It's really not that difficult to do and you could offer other services like clearanceing for stroker cranks and even boring shorter cylinders as your skills and tooling grow.
    If you didn't just skip to the end and blindly comment you would have read that his numbers were from an estimate earlier in the thread.

I estimated a $10 fixture cost for the rem aluminum I would use to make a fixture and about $250 to reverse engineer one part and make a simple fixture. I figured it would take about an hour to setup and run 10 of these with a tooling cost of ZERO.

I don't know how you could be upset about $50/pc to cut a couple bores in customer supplied material. In 10 quantity that's got to be $200/hr even considering packing and shipping.

I love repair work with no material cost. best when it's local for cash though.

18. Likes Joe Miranda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

N... I'd rather buy a bunch of broken ones for $100/each and get the cost down to a reasonable level ...
    .....looking for someone that is up to this challenge. ....
    Yawn.

20. Likes Joe Miranda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have to wonder just how many people are still using Honda's that are over 30 years old, then how many of those are breaking cases? But maybe there are a lot.

Memories... I had a Triumph Bonneville with a trans that shifted like butter. Probably the best shifting manual trans I've ever driven/ridden. One day I decided to 'upgrade' to a new and costly chain. I did....and 1/4 mile down the road it snapped and cracked the case. I fixed it, but it never shifted as well again.

22. Likes Joe Miranda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 1yesca View Post
    i call it a reflector attitude . your nice to me i am nice to you to a point . when someone try's to pull the ol stone soup on me then they can pack sand ..... .
    As in. 'I need somebody who's really good and really competent, it's an easy job, that person could do it no problem at all. ' Discussion about what kind of geometry is needed, tolerances, numbers, prints, that's getting 'off the track.'

The real question is why not just go to the machining resources page and ask for a quote from there. It's a machining job, combined with a make up the print job, combined with 'will the thing work after it's done, and who's on the hook if the part is machined to print that was made but it still doesn't work? '

24. Likes anchorman, Joe Miranda, mhajicek liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    As in. 'I need somebody who's really good and really competent, it's an easy job, that person could do it no problem at all. ' Discussion about what kind of geometry is needed, tolerances, numbers, prints, that's getting 'off the track.'

The real question is why not just go to the machining resources page and ask for a quote from there. It's a machining job, combined with a make up the print job, combined with 'will the thing work after it's done, and who's on the hook if the part is machined to print that was made but it still doesn't work? '
    ...all the while, keep it under $250....

26. Likes Joe Miranda, mhajicek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ship it to the guy that does it and just do something else while you wait for it to get back... I can't even count and my hands and toes the number of car and motorcycle emergencies I worked on only to have the project sitting in a garage half a decade later. You want it now but you don't need it now.

28. Likes 1yesca, Joe Miranda liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizingkid View Post
    Ship it to the guy that does it and just do something else while you wait for it to get back... I can't even count and my hands and toes the number of car and motorcycle emergencies I worked on only to have the project sitting in a garage half a decade later. You want it now but you don't need it now.
    3 people that do it that I know of, the one doesnt really want to do it and doesnt even want people to ship cases in, the one guy isnt responding and I'm not sending anything to a guy that doesnt answer calls and return emails, the 3rd guy is on the fence on even taking the work in which is fine because he's the guy with the worst reputation. I'd rather just find my own guy that wants to take on the work. With all the replies this thread has gotten and only a couple dropping me a PM, I have to wonder if any of you even have the skill to fix this. Maybe you all are business owners that sit in an office all day on facebook? Doing nothing yet bitching that a project isnt worth the time. Well its not like you're getting off your lazy ass to do it anyways so whats it matter? There's my poke for the day

Here is the work that these guys put out, pretty sloppy in my opinion. Wait 6 months and thats what I get.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 80594406_565988834221887_5406813172201947136_n.jpg   80322272_444769802866981_9193495415415111680_n.jpg   79938390_2578607312361115_4272837236489191424_n.jpg   80127878_455979578408929_3270115849234546688_n.jpg