Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by henrya View Post
    I kinda like this new guy. Most newbies just run away from the savagery they get welcomed with here.

He really did just ask for someone who would do a machining job. He did not ask for business advice or whether his request was a good idea or not.
    In reading through this I found myself confused as to why he was met with so many antagonizing replys, I don't believe he deserved them. I don't want to do that kind of work but it does seem he could have been left alone to find someone that does.

I make a pretty good living making all sorts of things most of you would turn your noses up at and or have no idea where to start as do many of the members here and we have all had odd questions and requests, except for the ones that don't want to take the beating for asking.

So my question is: How exactly is it that this helps the forum?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    What we have here is just what happened to "ice road truckers" and "Ax Men"
    Real facts and stories got replaced by "Drama".

The new owners of PM have enabled these threads, all for quick money.
    Monetize for google hit's and rankings.

But ruining the forum, and it's encyclopedia of knowledge.
    "views and rankings"....and "affiliate programs".

3. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by standardparts View Post
    "views and rankings"....and "affiliate programs".
    Yup, right out of the book "Guerilla Marketing".
    Guerrilla Marketing Definition

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Yup, right out of the book "Guerilla Marketing".
    Guerrilla Marketing Definition
    Don't know about the 'guerilla-marketing' thing. Someone posted on another site that Practical Machinist is now the CNN of machining sites.

More and more about a clickbait thread.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know about the 'guerilla-marketing' thing. Someone posted on another site that Practical Machinist is now the CNN of machining sites.

It was Milacron that posted the first link to that book.
    There are others:
    DuckDuckGo

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So that makes Milacron Ted Turner

8. Likes Sparky45 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Quiring View Post
    Another stupid first question...

If you had in hand a repaired case with it clearly marked as repaired as well as providing document explaining the repair may alter the strength of the case (keeping buyer informed) , what is the market price for this ?

That sets your budget.

Get a clear dimensions on a print with proper communications on said print for what the end product must be.

Then send clear photos of damage at minimum along with print for "first contact" which is the can you do this job.

For shops that are interested then follow up, be willing to send sample and risk spending more on first few to see if it can be done within the budget your market has set.

You have used the wrong approach and reacted poorly to feedback.

I am not in this business but in any transaction there needs to be clear communication of what is requested and it has not been here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    This is not that kind of work.
    You don't need a statement of work or rfq
    You don't need a print, dimensioned or otherwise, documents etc

This is the kind of work where you walk in the front door, show somebody the part and tell them what you want. Most shops (95%) can’t do this work and shoudn’t.
    This is the type of work for a small shop, where the owner,machinist,welder might be the same person.
    It requires flexibility of thought and imagination, which most shops don’t have.

10. Likes Garwood, 1yesca, Overland, henrya, Sparky45 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    In reading through this I found myself confused as to why he was met with so many antagonizing replys, I don't believe he deserved them. I don't want to do that kind of work but it does seem he could have been left alone to find someone that does.
    I was just trying to save him some later agony.

Looky here: Machine Shop Services — Duncan Racing

See under services "case welding and repair". These guys still to this day build tons of hot 250R engines.
    Don't you think if it was a good idea, they would have capitalized on it already?
    There is so much more to this "simple" (trust me, it ain't simple!) job than just welding, and popping in a couple seal bores.
    The welding affects the entire case. It needs a thorough inspection if expected to provide prolonged service.
    This is why it is done on an individual basis.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    It doesn't require a fully toleranced print, it doesn't require a print at all, it doesn't requite GD&T, it doesn't require a travellor, it doesn't need to go on the shelf waiting for "inspection" to do their magic, it doesn't require an inspection report, it doesn't have to go to shipping to be packed etc etc
    Will the customer pay regardless of what they get and whether or not it works?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You don't need a print, dimensioned or otherwise, documents etc
    Tell that to the guy with the scattered transmission because the main-shaft bearing spun in the case.

You can put your name on a half-assed repaired part that had no post repair inspection. I'm not going to.
    There is a line where this becomes a moral dilemma.

14. Likes mhajicek liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mhajicek View Post
    Will the customer pay regardless of what they get and whether or not it works?
    You ever heard of COD?

if done right it should work, for how long and how well that's a different story. The customer would have to be under no illusion that it'll ever be as good as a new case.

16. Likes Sparky45 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    There is so much more to this "simple" (trust me, it ain't simple!) job than just welding, and popping in a couple seal bores.
    The welding affects the entire case. It needs a thorough inspection if expected to provide prolonged service.
    This is why it is done on an individual basis.
    I don't know many welders I'd trust to do this. Ones's dead, one has dissapeared, and the thirds my neighbour. He'd probably take all day to weld this in small stages to avoid too much distortion.

18. Likes Sparky45 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You ever heard of COD?

if done right it should work, for how long and how well that's a different story. The customer would have to be under no illusion that it'll ever be as good as a new case.
    See, this is just the fact and/or point I am making.

YES! These cases can usually be repaired. And, to just as good or even better than factory. They can provide a long service life.
    But each one needs to be handled on an individual basis. Not all repairs will be a simple "weld build-up, and seal bore restoration".
    As a matter of fact, most wont. Most of them will involve at least one bearing bore being sleeved. Possibly not even due to the welding!
    All should be checked for proper dimensions and/or flatness. There is a lot more to doing this job right than the OP has led everybody to believe.
    The repaired case you get back from Duncan, and the repaired case you buy from this guy, will not be the same.

But don't listed to me. Its not like I haven't been-there-done-that or anything

20. Likes mhajicek, machinistrrt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some talk as if this a big business as in 10-20 cases a day forever.
    On any given Sunday how many 250Rs in use and how many break a case each week?
    I would think this more as a weekend retired machinist side thing.
    Lets be real. The welding is a skill learned over a long time. The machining if repeats can be done by a 16-18 year old on a B-port with a day or two worth of training.
    Why do many not want it? Price tag.

With all this noise I'd think the OP would find someone that wants this type of work.
    Tell me that the volume is 5000+ per year over and over on one model and I am interested. I do not think the market supports that.
    This not a hard part to cut or hold size on and the OP does has a need to be filled.

Perhaps some comments have raised some hairs on the back of the neck.
    That does not change that there is a job to be done by somebody.

OP started with need a machinist to do this...... then......
    Bob

22. Likes wheelieking71, triumph406, Sparky45 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    On any given Sunday how many 250Rs in use and how many break a case each week?
    After Halloween every weekend in Glamis? You would be amazed at the thousands of 250Rs buzzing around that 26,000 acres

24. Likes Sparky45 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by R1Rider View Post
    The guy that welded the cases is a professional with multiple certifications. He was probably welding while you were in diapers.

So $500 to price gouge because you know they cant be purchased new. Well thats typical.......

Simple.... yeah, I would say this is pretty simple in comparison to machining a satellite part that needs to be within .0001 at -200F but its 95F on our flat earth and the shop is 82F, tomorrow its going to be 90F and we have no clue what the shop temperature is going to be. Yesterday it was 30F and snowing and people left the door open so it was hovering right around 64F and 9 out of 10 of these parts are going from the EDM right to the scrap dumpster. Yeah, Id say this case repair is pretty fucking simple for someone that knows what they are doing. Questioning people here, I think most of you are bored and still collecting that Biden unemployment.
    Incoming.....

I
    think that the op has just shit in his own saddlebag. I was reading along wondering when things would get personal.

BTW, Having been on this site for something like 15 years now I can assure the OP that very few here are collecting unemployment.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    Tell that to the guy with the scattered transmission because the main-shaft bearing spun in the case.

You can put your name on a half-assed repaired part that had no post repair inspection. I'm not going to.
    There is a line where this becomes a moral dilemma.
    I'm not saying I'd half arse the job and push it out of the door. I can inspect the part on the machine,and if it ain't right, re-sleeve,re-machine etc until it's right.

I don't need a f'ing QC dept to tell me whether it's any good or not,I can do that myself. and I'm not going to provide an inspection report or COF, or any documentation, it ain't that type of work. And if the customer want's documentation reports etc, he can go somewhere else.

This ain't rocket science, I bet Duncan racing had a learning curve, probably f'd a few up learning how to repair cases. They learnt the way we all do, make a few mistakes before we realise what we know, or don't know. I don't suppose with their expertise every case they fix is a success

27. Likes Sparky45 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by R1Rider View Post
    They all have 10,000 other things they do! WHO CARES????? I'm talking with people now that have boxes and shelves full of trashed cases. If its cost effective, they are HAPPY to pay to have them done. Now they have scrap metal that they can turn around and sell for $800+ or USE if they need them in the future. Even with the new cast cases being made and the billet ones being made, cases are still being broken and aftermarket companies are still making NEW frames for 250R's that will need engines. Why do you care so much? whats it to you Karen?
    so its all about the money . i worked for a guy back in about 1979 that patched his landlords kids 4x4 wheel studs with a drill and a hammer the lug nuts would get lose with them big mag wheels i was only 20 or so at the time so i did not know any better [thank god i did not do the job] so a few months later this kids [he was about 24] is out in the sand dunes drunk and 4 wheeling one of his front wheels comes off from what i understand he had no seat belt on and ether went out the windshield or bounced off the steering wheel and died on the scene so at his services my boss looks over at me and tells my it wasn't his fault ! ya there was plenty of blame to go around BUT if he my boss would have not done the job [someone other then him may have done the same thing with the same out come] or done it right if the kid was not drunk if he would have had is belt on if he would have keep the nuts in order there's a lot of IF'S here . and more the likely no one will get hurt here with these patched cases other then there wallet but the market sets things after all there was a market for pet rocks at one time and look at how the handlers are marketing biden oz is missing its scarecrow

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

documentation ? the word your looking for is smoking gun or product liability aka the paper trail for a law suite and were in the right state for that

30. Likes Newman109 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not saying I'd half arse the job and push it out of the door. I can inspect the part on the machine,and if it ain't right, re-sleeve,re-machine etc until it's right.

I don't need a f'ing QC dept to tell me whether it's any good or not,I can do that myself. and I'm not going to provide an inspection report or COF, or any documentation, it ain't that type of work. And if the customer want's documentation reports etc, he can go somewhere else.

This ain't rocket science, I bet Duncan racing had a learning curve, probably f'd a few up learning how to repair cases. They learnt the way we all do, make a few mistakes before we realise what we know, or don't know. I don't suppose with their expertise every case they fix is a success
    Tell me then: what all do you intend to inspect on this case after your repair? That has your name all over it.

Even better, are you going to do a pre-inspection to determine if the requested work is even worth doing?

Remember a few posts back when I said there is a line where this becomes a moral dilemma?

Or are you going to just do as asked, and collect the money.

The point: a lot of these cases the OP is referring to that are riding shelves with chain damage, are junk for other reasons!
    There are at least 5 critical bearing fits in each case. These are powerful engines in bikes that get abused quite hard (35-40hp stock).
    A few simple inexpensive mods will pretty easily get one to 50hp. 70-80hp 250Rs are not unheard of. This is very hard on the bearings/cases.
    A good many of these cases were spent and on borrowed time long before they threw the chain.

32. Likes mhajicek, eKretz liked this post