Looking for a machinist - Page 8
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by henrya View Post
    He really did just ask for someone who would do a machining job. ....
    Yes. In the wrong place. Could not figure out there was a special sub-forum to request quotes for jobs. 'Oh I could not figure out the details of the forum.'
    (paraphrase).

Finally puts a post in that sub-forum. Keeps getting knocked about here in General and keeps coming back for more. As the bear has been known to say:

"Tell me, you're not really here for the hunting, are you?"

2. Likes Ron Hofer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    So my question is: How exactly is it that this helps the forum?
    You are correct sir! This entire thread in general could be locked, and he can pursue his dreams in the 'machining resources' section.
    Where none of the drama that's been incited here, would have to happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    You ever heard of COD?
    Or in this case, cash up front.

5. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Yes. In the wrong place. Could not figure out there was a special sub-forum to request quotes for jobs. 'Oh I could not figure out the details of the forum.'
    (paraphrase).
    Hmm, not the right tab so punishment needed.
    That would not make us seem arrogant would it?
    Bob

7. Likes Sparky45 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Also, I am not trying to prolong, or antagonize the drama. It is just that I am very familiar with this stuff.
    I'm just trying to share the reality of this situation with my machinist peers who may not fully understand the scope of the requested job.
    You know, the guys who take pride in their work. Because there is a pile of details that are being left out by the OP.

9. Likes digger doug, mhajicek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Hmm, not the right tab so punishment needed.
    That would not make us seem arrogant would it?
    Bob
    No, arrogant would be where I say if he can't take ten minutes to have a cursory glance at the details of the
    forum he's going into, then he probably can't read too well and I would not have him work on any of my
    motorbikes.

And further if he tried the 'oh any *superior* machinist would be jumping all over this SIMPLE job' over at
    the RFQ section, he'd just be ignored. Posting in general was probably a calculated move.

11. Likes digger doug, 1yesca liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The man doesn't even understand the job, he will be poison to work with. He got flamed a bit because of his antagonistic responses. Wheelieking is right on the money about this repair not being as simple as it looks. I have done more than a few of these case repairs and mods myself for quad, dirt bike and racing kart engines. (Kart guys like to do a kickstart delete).

As already mentioned, sometimes the cases warp like crazy when they're welded (depends on where they're welded and how much welding is done). Sometimes only a little. Every one is different. Even with a sink/fixture to try to keep them straight. They need to be fully inspected and sometimes the split needs to be re-skinned and some of the bores and shoulders cut deeper or sleeved and put back on correct location. That is a LOT of work compared to what this guy thinks needs to be done. And it ain't gonna be even contemplated by me when the fella looking to get the work done is condescending, passive aggressive and insulting.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This sounds like the inverse of a conversation I had with an engineer.

Eng. "Can you cut this to X long for me?"
    Me "Sure, no problem. What's your tolerance?"
    Eng. "No tolerance, make it dead nuts."
    Me. "I can probably give you +/- .0005" if I take my time."
    Eng. "Oh, within 1/8" would be plenty close."

14. Likes TeachMePlease, tdmidget, Mechanola, 1yesca liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mhajicek View Post
    This sounds like the inverse of a conversation I had with an engineer.

Eng. "Can you cut this to X long for me?"
    Me "Sure, no problem. What's your tolerance?"
    Eng. "No tolerance, make it dead nuts."
    Me. "I can probably give you +/- .0005" if I take my time."
    Eng. "Oh, within 1/8" would be plenty close."
    "Eng. "Oh, within 1/8" would be plenty close."

Maybe the "Engineer" decided on spec that reflected your capability.

16. Likes Sparky45 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by R1Rider View Post
    This is nothing new to me. I've done the same to people on forums and on facebook. I troll with the best of them. I've actually been pretty moderate with my come-backs.

You dont like powersports? Sorry to hear that you have to squat to piss. You vote for Kamala?
    I like manly powersports. The ones that use only two wheels. Anything else is just a beer hauler.

18. Likes cg285 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like manly powersports. The ones that use only two wheels. Anything else is just a beer hauler.
    Powersports . That is crazy land and hard to understand the function of these peoples brains.
    Put 10,000 Horsepower In A Small Boat and This Is What Happens - YouTube
    Eddie Hill was good on 2 wheels on the pavement and dirt, boats, and drag cars. Add to this he was never the grumpy type with stupid questions.
    Many on top of the powersport hill in whatever become not very nice to talk with and some different than in the past on the way up the hill.
    I find that weird as they become superstars for a few years.

Here is where life ends. Took the dirt bike out that has been a very long time parked.
    I can not ride anymore. It's like I'm back to 16 year old. Stupid mistakes, slow on everything, balance wrong , I am fighting the bike.

At only 63 I have lost it and that is so depressing. The wife says just go practice and it will come back but this ride hit me hard as everything I did was so wrong and in the past it sort of defined me.
    Bob

20. Likes henrya, Greg White liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many on top of the powersport hill in whatever become not very nice to talk with
    With the exception of Gary Scott, all the national numbers I can think of are super-nice. That damn Springer is your neighbor, I'm surprised he doesn't go door to door handing out chicken wings and beer (and cans of R40).

Maybe ask him to go riding, he'd probably do it. And give you a few pointers on how old farts can keep up

22. Likes Sparky45 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Powersports . That is crazy land and hard to understand the function of these peoples brains.
    Put 10,000 Horsepower In A Small Boat and This Is What Happens - YouTube
    Eddie Hill was good on 2 wheels on the pavement and dirt, boats, and drag cars. Add to this he was never the grumpy type with stupid questions.
    Many on top of the powersport hill in whatever become not very nice to talk with and some different than in the past on the way up the hill.
    I find that weird as they become superstars for a few years.

Here is where life ends. Took the dirt bike out that has been a very long time parked.
    I can not ride anymore. It's like I'm back to 16 year old. Stupid mistakes, slow on everything, balance wrong , I am fighting the bike.

At only 63 I have lost it and that is so depressing. The wife says just go practice and it will come back but this ride hit me hard as everything I did was so wrong and in the past it sort of defined me.
    Bob
    Got it.
    Its never as good as it was. I have the same problem, but riding and just trying to be competent is a challenge in itself. Coming home each time without blood or other damage is still fun. Every once in a while the old magic comes back and for a few brief minutes it feels like it used to.

She’s right though. Practice up a bit and get better.

24. Likes wheelieking71, cg285 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bob
    I can totally relate to that stuff right there Bob. I lived dirt-bikes pretty much right up until I started my shop in 2013.
    At only 50 now, and 8 years in business, I already feel that way sometimes. But, it is to be expected.
    You have to do something so demanding often to stay good at it. All I can tell you is: it does come back, trust me.
    I rode three times in two weeks this past spring after almost two years off the bike.
    There was a very noticeable difference in my ability from the first ride to the last. It comes back. And, it is still fun. Lots of fun!

Every once in a while the old magic comes back and for a few brief minutes it feels like it used to.

She’s right though. Practice up a bit and get better.
    Agreed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bart Markel taught me to run the fireroads and will never forget that. He worked at AC for a real job. That my intro as a kid to go faster and lay it out.
    Never ridden with Jay as not a woods guy but for sure great.
    Of big note here younger here is Scott Parker who also nice most times and can for all sure ride.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bart Markel taught me to run the fireroads and will never forget that.
    Bob
    This is my problem. The thing that I am still very proficient at is speed. Those techniques seem to stay with me no matter. The technical stuff slips away.
    Even wheelies, yea, perfect traction on tarmac? I'll stand it up for a ways. Usually power it up in 3rd. Go for a while. Sometimes make it to 4th/5th?
    I'll pull the bike out occasionally just to crank off a couple quick ones down the dead-end neighborhood street. But:
    Last time I tried in dirt at slow speeds? Was downright embarrassing! my side/side balance was a mess. As was my clutch reflex. I was pretty upset.
    But, I still have the speed.
    That is a bad thing! Because when you throw a leg over the bike, you naturally want to have fun. This means you gravitate to what you are good at!
    At 50, overweight, out of shape, yet still pretty fast in the open stuff? If I screw up? I'm gonna crash and burn hard. This is where my biggest problem lies.
    Self control. Even at 35 I knew this. So, I started coaching young guys at the local track. Trying to live vicariously through them I guess.
    Funny fact about that: It is how I met my wife! I was coaching her kid. Now my son.

28. Likes kustomizer, mhajicek, Sparky45 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, 62 and I commute to work 2-wheel most days. Was on the dual sport a couple of weeks ago for a ride to shake off the dust. Bike died (long story but a dead short that was blowing the 20A main fuse) so I was walking it home until the local bridge (construction) was too narrow, so I got my wife to give me a tow. Bad idea - it was working well until it didn't and I kinda highsided. Bike's OK (found and fixed the short) and the swelling's down on the knee (landing point...) and the technicolor on the leg is fading a bit. Sucks to be old.

30. Likes Sparky45 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bart Markel taught me to run the fireroads and will never forget that.
    Ah, Black Bart ! That explains your attitude

You'll laugh at this .... your buddy #4 was going to ride Ascot or San Jose, and Dud offered him a bike so he wouldn't have to haul. Cool. So a week or so before the race Jim Belland calls him up, asking "How do you want the bike set up ?" thinking springs, shocks, tires, whatever. This is a national. Bart's answer (direct quote) "Just make it average, I'll do the rest."

True story

32. Likes eKretz, Sparky45 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    With the exception of Gary Scott, all the national numbers I can think of are super-nice. That damn Springer is your neighbor, I'm surprised he doesn't go door to door handing out chicken wings and beer (and cans of R40).

Maybe ask him to go riding, he'd probably do it. And give you a few pointers on how old farts can keep up
    I met Sammy Tanner at SoCal Triumph when he was the Arai rep, cool guy, probably spent a couple of hours talking to him.

I've been to Eddie Mulders house in Pinion Hills, he's a cool dude as well, never seen somebody smoke cigars like he did. My cousin knows him, so i got invited along to meet him.

34. Likes Sparky45 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"I can not ride anymore. It's like I'm back to 16 year old. Stupid mistakes, slow on everything, balance wrong , I am fighting the bike.

At only 63 I have lost it and that is so depressing. The wife says just go practice and it will come back but this ride hit me hard as everything I did was so wrong and in the past it sort of defined me."

The real issue is you are NOT 16 anymore. When you were 16, you could afford to be sloppy and stupid, both because you were fearless and because you could absorb the crashes far better. Back then, a crash meant a broken arm and a few weeks off. Now, it means permanent physical disability and (often) a steep mental decline. There's no going back....