Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Yeah, 62 and I commute to work 2-wheel most days. Was on the dual sport a couple of weeks ago for a ride to shake off the dust. Bike died (long story but a dead short that was blowing the 20A main fuse) so I was walking it home until the local bridge (construction) was too narrow, so I got my wife to give me a tow. Bad idea - it was working well until it didn't and I kinda highsided. Bike's OK (found and fixed the short) and the swelling's down on the knee (landing point...) and the technicolor on the leg is fading a bit. Sucks to be old.
    Too bad...any chance for a blood clot?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Curious as to how you meant that remark? I can see taking it at least two different ways.

3. Likes TeachMePlease, Hightemp liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    I've been to Eddie Mulders house ...
    Eddie Mulder, jeeze .... he was famous for getting away with stuff. So one Motorcycle Weekly (remember them ?) wrote up the past week's race -- "In the third heat, once again, Eddie Mulder beat the starter to the flag"

5. Likes triumph406 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

LOL. I'm two weeks out so a deep vein thrombosis is probably ruled out. I can go up *and* down stairs normally and there are entire hours where i'm not even aware that I *have* a left knee. Consensus is, it will be a couple of months before I can kneel on it without doing that "ooooh" thing. Most likely a crush injury to the patellar tendon.

Good news is the R100RS is a real good ergonomic fit.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Yeah, 62 and I commute to work 2-wheel most days. Was on the dual sport a couple of weeks ago for a ride to shake off the dust. Bike died (long story but a dead short that was blowing the 20A main fuse) so I was walking it home until the local bridge (construction) was too narrow, so I got my wife to give me a tow. Bad idea - it was working well until it didn't and I kinda highsided. Bike's OK (found and fixed the short) and the swelling's down on the knee (landing point...) and the technicolor on the leg is fading a bit. Sucks to be old.
    was the strap hooked to the foot peg? if not......sayonara

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cg285 View Post
    was the strap hooked to the foot peg? if not......sayonara
    I've also had very bad luck trying to tow a bike behind a car, four wheeler or other bike.
    I would wrap the rope or strap over itself and not tie it but hold one end to the bar in my hand. That way if things go wacky you just let go and no longer connected.
    Sort of a quick disconnect but sometimes that did not work.
    Never occurred to me to try foot peg or maybe a big vee to both foot pegs?
    Seems like a good tip.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, foot peg is key. if there is no other option than tow. Towing a bike sucks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    .... Towing a bike sucks!
    For sure if deep in the forest and hard trails home.
    Sleds or four wheelers are so much easier.
    Now this that this thread has gone a tad off the track it is a bit more friendly.
    Bob

11. Likes mhajicek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just to sympathize with you old bikers us old surfers have it bad as well. I just can't get to my feet as fast as I used to. Instead of hunting challenging waves I now find myself hunting easy waves. Getting old sucks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    I would wrap the rope or strap over itself and not tie it but hold one end to the bar in my hand. ...
    Bob
    Yeah, that was the plan. It was going well and then it wasn't...

Trouble is when things go nonlinear you grab the bar tighter.... It was basically a highside when the rope snapped taught. We were headed down a gentle downgrade, I was gaining on the tow vehicle (slack in rope) and then she got on the throttle a bit. It had been going better when i simply held the rope in my left hand, but it spooled out through my grip.

Next time this happens, and my buddie's trailer still has that 9A sitting on it: take off the front wheel, put the axle back in, two people lift the forks and drop them in the trunk, and tie the bars off with tie-downs to the car. The drive slow and steady up the 3/4 mile to my house.

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    I've also had very bad luck trying to tow a bike behind a car, four wheeler or other bike.
    I would wrap the rope or strap over itself and not tie it but hold one end to the bar in my hand. That way if things go wacky you just let go and no longer connected.
    I'd always just pull up next to the driver's side door, have him roll down the window, hang onto the car with right hand and steer bike with left. Easier to communicate and easy to let go or hang on tighter, depending. Don't like rope tows. Hated them with skis, too.

15. Likes eKretz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Don't like rope tows. Hated them with skis, too.
    Saves a lot of walking if you’re far in the backcountry and a sled is available. Even more fun is behind a horse. Folks used to have skijoring races. Now we just do it for fun.

Did someone say off topic? ;-)

L7

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lucky7 View Post
    Even more fun is behind a horse.
    Horseee, put your tail up
    put your tail up
    put your tail up.
    Horseee, put your tail up
    Keep the sun right outta my eyes

God knows where that came from, dad used to sing it, mom would cover her eyes and groan ....

18. Likes lucky7, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Old Amish farmer walking behind his plow horse.
    Every once in a while he sticks his finger up the horse's butt and wipes it on his lips.
    Guy standing by watching asks the farmer why he's doing that.
    Farmer say's "well my lips is chapped".
    Guy say's "and that cures chapped lips"?
    Farmer say's " No, but it sure keeps me from licking them"............Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My brother and and my best friend went to see Led Zeppelin at Knebworth on their m'cycles. (I didn't go as I'm not a Zeppelin fan.)

So after the concert they load up the gear on the bikes and leave. About 3 miles out from Knebworth by brothers Yamaha SS50 siezes solid.

So my friend Paul tows my brother with his Yamaha DT175 the 100 miles back to Southampton. Using a length of Sisal rope they had. Sisal being next to useless as a towrope it broke so many times they lost count, which in reality was probably a good safety feature.

At one point they got stopped by a cop in the middle of nowhere at about 3am. The cop asked,
    "so where you coming from?"
    "Knebworth"
    "where you going"
    "southampton"
    The cop looks at the two riders, the 175 towing a 50, with sisal, shakes his head
    "Ok get going, i didn't see you, you didn't see me, this never happened"

Between stops, repairing the sisal, contemplating their navels, took them 7 hours to get home.
    [I]
    Last edited by triumph406; 07-31-2021 at 11:43 AM.

21. Likes mhajicek, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Also, I am not trying to prolong, or antagonize the drama. It is just that I am very familiar with this stuff.
    I'm just trying to share the reality of this situation with my machinist peers who may not fully understand the scope of the requested job.
    You know, the guys who take pride in their work. Because there is a pile of details that are being left out by the OP.
    relax, I don't think anybody is seriously considering working with the OP. Some may not know what's involved, but more likely don't want to deal with the OP.

Your not the only one here who knows his way around an engine 2 or 4 stroke, and it's safe to assume your not the only one (or Duncan racing) who can adequetly repair a case if presented with the oppurtunity. Don't assume that we can't evaluate what a repair would take before we decide to attempt or not attempt a repair.

and contrary to what you think I take pride in my work and stand behind it, so I'm not stupid enough to try and fix the unfixeable.

safe to assume Duncan and others f'd a few up before they figured out how to repair a case. There's a learning curve to everything we do.

------------------------------------------------------------------

and as a FYI, when I was at ATK I built the Rotax560 that was in Greg Zitterkopf's ATK that he rode at the Carlsbad 500 grand prix 1986, so not a neophyte engine builder by any means.

23. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

relax, I don't think anybody is seriously considering working with the OP. Some may not know what's involved, but more likely don't want to deal with the OP.

Your not the only one here who knows his way around an engine 2 or 4 stroke, and it's safe to assume your not the only one (or Duncan racing) who can adequetly repair a case if presented with the oppurtunity. Don't assume that we can't evaluate what a repair would take before we decide to attempt or not attempt a repair.

and contrary to what you think I take pride in my work and stand behind it, so I'm not stupid enough to try and fix the unfixeable.

safe to assume Duncan and others f'd a few up before they figured out how to repair a case. There's a learning curve to everything we do.

------------------------------------------------------------------

and as a FYI, when I was at ATK I built the Rotax560 that was in Greg Zitterkopf's ATK that he rode at the Carlsbad 500 grand prix 1986, so not a neophyte engine builder by any means.
    That was never the point I was trying to make bud. Seriously. None of what I posted in here was a "dig" at anybody.
    All I was saying is: this is not a simple job. And there is a reason these repairs are done on an individual basis.

Cool history! Horst was an interesting dude!

25. Likes triumph406, mhajicek liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Repair and restore are very different operations. If it was Jane off the street walk in who wanted it fixed to ride some more and stated repair wanted then as most have said not a big deal.
    Someone who you know is going to have the welds blended to be hidden and goes thru the effort of bead then vapor blasting - and is selling the item as remachined/remanufactured or whatever billet word of the day is - then you have the responsibity to check every bearing and wiper seat, die check for cracks, and magically make sure none of the original is fatigued or diseased.

Thank you Wheelie for pointing out the biggest issue with this project.

ps Jay Leno can afford to have high accuracy scanning done, Leno pays less than market rate because he is wealthy/famous, Leno had an oil pan scanned - tolerance is a bolt in oversized hole.

27. Likes mhajicek liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That was never the point I was trying to make bud. Seriously. None of what I posted in here was a "dig" at anybody.
    All I was saying is: this is not a simple job. And there is a reason these repairs are done on an individual basis.
    Understood, need to start taking my 'chill' pills again.

Cool history! Horst was an interesting dude!
    Horst was interesting, very skilled in some respects, very good businessman for sure. Not well liked in the industry though. He did better ($'s) in the MTB and Automotive industries than with m'cycles.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think anybody is seriously considering working with the OP. Some may not know what's involved, but more likely don't want to deal with the OP.
    Here's his enquiry in the resource section:

ATV case repair