What's new
What's new

Looking for Made is US Silver and Deming drill bits

bll230

Hot Rolled
I want to replace my Chinese junk bits with US made S&D drill bits. I came across Norse/Viking tool and tried those, but they package their 4 piece set in a blow molded case that does not properly secure the bits, and during shipping they bounce around in the box and damage themselves, so they are no longer an option.

Looking for suggestions on good S&D bits.

Thanks

John

Precision Twist Drill for S&D and all other HSS/HSSCO drills too,

Made in USA? Not positive.

PTD is just another old American brand name owned by an international conglomerate.

Dormer Pramet - One-Stop-Shop for Cutting Tools - Precision, Dormer, Union Butterfield, Master, Pramet

Our company

Note the factory locations: "​With 20 offices worldwide serving over 100 countries, production facilities in Europe and South America and a highly developed logistics network, we offer truly global coverage." But on a different page, they say, "Our manufacturing facilities in Europe, South America and North America are fully staffed by dedicated teams of skilled engineers with many years’ experience in the field of cutting tool production."

Larry

Viking/Norseman, Alfa Tools, KnKut, Champion. Precision Twist drills are mostly made in Brazil.

You know, today I had that thought, ordering them individually. I called Norse this morning and had a long conversation with customer service. I explained that the blow molded case was sized for the 1 inch bit, and consequently the three smaller bits were able to bounce around, nicking the edges. First I asked if there was supposed to be a foam insert. "No, no foam is put in the boxes." Then I explained the issue to her. "haven't had any complaints about that issue." OK, Now you do. "can I send you these damaged ones and you send me a new item with foam specially put in before shipping?" "No, we only sell to distributors." Can you send a specially packaged one to a distributor for me?". "No, we don't do special items like that. Talk to a distributor."

I was surprised that a manufacturer would have so little regard for one who is specifically trying to buy their made in US product.

The drill bits looked nice, I'll investigate buying them individually.

I was surprised that a manufacturer would have so little regard for one who is specifically trying to buy their made in US product.

Not surprising to me. Bet a chinese company would jump at wrapping some in foam and dropping at the post office. No comment on quality but have had better service from china then many large american co's.

I'd also be interested in seeing the damaged bits. I have a ton of old American made large taper drill bits and some of them may have a few nicks but I never noticed it to be that much of a problem. Usually when I'm using them it is just clearance or drilling for a reamer.

You're right - the nicks and dings aren't too bad. On the other hand, I can use my Chinese nicked and dinged bits for free. I just don't want to be out $100 to use nicked and dinged bits. I would rather have nice new sharp bits for $100....

Well no one can blame you on that. At the price of US made bits, you should get proper packaging.

You might try McMaster. They do not specify brands or country of manufacture, but I have not been disappointed with the quality of anything I have purchased from them. I have bought large diameter drill bits from them and they came in individual packaging. But, of course, YMMV. They do answer calls and will listen to any complaints you may have.

Others, like MSC do list their bits by manufacturer and can probably tell you the country of origin. One of the manufacturers they list is Triumph. I have purchased that brand and found them to be good quality. I do not know if they are made in the US. They were razor sharp and none of them had any nicks or dings. They also answer phone calls and you can ask about their various brands.

You're right - the nicks and dings aren't too bad. On the other hand, I can use my Chinese nicked and dinged bits for free. I just don't want to be out $100 to use nicked and dinged bits. I would rather have nice new sharp bits for $100....

By the way, there is a new Viking S&D drill index (Cabinet) for sale on eBay at a steal of a price, about 33% MSPR.

I just bought an 8 piece set on ebay, the one with them standing in a wood block. I have asked the seller how he plans to ship them. Thanks for the tip.

John

Back