UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Looking for many-flute Al finisher

Hello,

I'm quoting a 6061 job that would really benefit from a many-flute 1/2" finisher. Big sweeping contours, only 1/4" thick. I'll rough with a separate tool to within .02"-ish, so the finisher doesn't need to take much off.

Seems like everything that is billed as "For Aluminum" is 3-flute. I'd like 5 or 6. Harvey has 5-flute Al finishers, but only up to 1/4".

Thanks, and regards.

Mike

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many-flute, high-flute? Maybe a 1/2" cylindrical carbide burr would work. Probably need coolant to clear the chips.

SA5NF 1/2" X 1" Cylindrical Carbide Burr 1/4" Shank - Aluminum | DULSA5NF | DrillsandCutters.com Lots of flutes, but I would look for one with fewer flutes.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back in the day I asked for a 5 flute 1/2" EM with an aluminum specific grind and variable flute spacing for high speed finishing. They gave me the generic 6 fluters they were using for titanium. They worked. It looks like the Garr 246M series.

Edit: I'm liking the looks of the VX-7 series, I don't know how they will work in aluminum with that coating though.