What's new
What's new

Looking for that "micro mesh chip pan liner someone had fabricated

Finegrain

Diamond
Hi guys,

Awhile ago (might have been a year or more), someone had posted some pictures and tech info on a chip pan insert they had made, using some sort of sturdy perforated stainless material with much smaller holes than you normally find in chip pans.

I may want to have such a thing made, and am seeking info on the material used.

Might also have been some baskets that sat under the troughs, not a full pan liner.

Thanks, and regards.

Mike

Mike
McMaster carr is were I got it in the past ... and I have also seen it on ebay .. I made some in the past and just tig welded it up and then put filter cloth below it to catch the super fines that made it past the screen ,,,,

Thanks, but I didn't see anything that has enough thickness + small holes to do the job. I have .055" holes right now, and would like to get down to .03" or .025", and be sturdy enough to be self-supporting.

Regards.

Mike

Thanks, but I didn't see anything that has enough thickness + small holes to do the job. I have .055" holes right now, and would like to get down to .03" or .025", and be sturdy enough to be self-supporting.

Regards.

Mike

McMaster-Carr

You might want to consider a backer to help support the fine mesh material.

You also want to favor the larger wire diameters as they are tougher and stronger though they do have a lower flow rate but your application likely is not full flow.

Hot sure what you're up to, but scotchbrite pads make a pretty good fine filter and its pretty impervious to hot chips.

Nothing like that. I want to make a liner for my chip pan:

Chip pan.jpg

It needs to be sturdy enough to not rip or fold up when I scoop chips out, and I want something like .03" holes. The stock chip pan has .055" holes, which let too many small chips through. .03" still lets fines through, but will catch a bunch more than the .055" holes. A piece 18" wide x 40" long would give me enough to bend up short sides.

I've tried fabrics, but it's pretty hard to scoop chips without catching and ripping or folding up the fabric.

Socks over the trough ends are impractical since they would fill up very quickly when I'm roughing.

Thanks, and regards.

Mike

If you want or just need really filtration that can be cleaned and that you can pick and choose the minimum particle size you will accept, take a look in at the irrigation suppliers and see if they have anything that will serve your needs.

for the coolant filter on my lathe, I have the inside of a microwave door, very finely drilled mesh, and built into a tougher, recessed frame!
Phil
East Yorkshire.

Mike
The pic you posted shows the coolant pump on the left side of coolant returns .. what is on the right side of the chip pan ?

I posted up about it before but no one really seemed to interested ,,, but why not just make a simple auger setup that catches the chips and coolant coming out the returns in a "U" shaped gutter and use a auger just like Haas to lift and drop the chips in a drum ?

You could just put a filter down in the bottom of the stock pan to catch the fines that go past the auger drain holes...

Particulate filtration at this size largely comes down to fluid velocity- if you slow down the fluid, the solids will drop to the bottom. You could probably craft a drop-in tray with a set of weirs at decreasing heights for the coolant to cascade through. Each level is another chance for the coolant to stop and drop whatever carried over from the previous level. Couple that with some fine mesh and your sump should stay very clean.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Our Colchester lathe had a problem of chips getting into the coolant pump.Iplugged the return hole at the headstock and put one at the ts end.Shimmed the hs pan end slightly and that stopped just about all the chips in the sump.

Overlap two sheets. Stagger the sheets to create your perfect hole size. With not to much more work you can make them adjustable. Try a few supply houses for seed cleaning.
Sieves can get pretty small

These look interesting:

McMaster-Carr

Maybe you can fit one under each outlet. Run landscaping/gardening cloth (home depot) under those. When the baskets fill, empty them out. The cloth stays in. I've used magnets to hold the cloth in place up the sides of the chip tray.

Back