What's new
What's new

looking for motors for retracting 2" webbing

rimcanyon

Diamond
I'm designing a platform bed for my Transit van, and I need two 12V motors to retract 2" webbing, to raise and lower the bed. During the day I want the bed raised up against the roof of the van, so the motor sheaves will need to hold 10' of webbing. The bed will have a pair of pulleys on the bottom side for each belt. I'm looking for suggestions on the type of motor I should use, and how to provide braking when the motor is off.

check out worm drive winches or the hardware used for retractable storefront awnings, a worm is self braking. Maybe drive with a cordless drill. the bed may not remain level when winding without additional measures.

Tdmidgit, yes and yes. I want room for a 4' pallet and 14' 2x6's on the floor, since I am building a house and the Transit hauls supplies so I need to keep the floor open.

A cordless drill motor would certainly have the torque for this, but I'm looking for a simpler solution, I.e. A pair of D.C. Motors with frames that are easily mounted, a ½" or ⅝" shaft that will take a pulley of the right size, and a simple fwd. reverse control that can be wired from a remote switch.

Hi
check out worm drive winches or the hardware used for retractable storefront awnings, a worm is self braking. Maybe drive with a cordless drill. the bed may not remain level when winding without additional measures.

The bed will be self-leveling side to side as long as the pulleys on each side are low friction. But you're right, to have it level head to foot might require separate controls for each motor.

Separate motors will allow the bed to be level even if the pavement is not. I would consider dc linear actuators fixed to the top or bottom. Worm drive gear trains are self braking.
I have seen belt pull boat trailer winches to pull the boat onto the trailer. Is suppose they make a electric version. They look similar to semi trailer load strap winches.
Boat lifts for hoisting boats for underhull work. see link for ideas. I have no idea about the quality or costs shown in the links.
Bill D
What do pop up trailers and slide out trailers use?

Flat Plate Boat Hoists | Boat Lift Warehouse | USA

Dutton-Lainson TW4000 StrongArm Electric Winch - Marine - 4,000 lbs Dutton-Lainson Trailer Winch DL25200

Back