What's new
What's new

Looking for my first forklift, C20B???

Rubes

Aluminum
Hi there...I'm looking to get a small forklift for moving stuff around my small garage and shop. I have a small one car garage(the actual machine shop area) attached to the house, and a 6 car garage/fab shop out back. I'm starting to collect enough bigger old machines this is getting to be a necessity (I used to be able to move anything I needed when Dad was around, but I lost him a couple years ago).
So anyway, there is a Clarke C20B for sale local for 2k OBO. I think the 2000lb capacity should be fine, basically because I don't really want a physically larger machine. The driveway between the garage and shop is blacktop, with a step up into the big garage. Until I get new blacktop I figure I would build up ramp of some sort. it has 8ft high doors with 10ft ceiling.
So checking seals, and the condition of the motor (LP) is obvious to me, but any insight into what else on this particular type of machine? Is the price reasonable? Ad says "perfect working order. Comes with 2 tanks ready to work".
Thanx for any input.

That's an older lift, I have a CFY-20B, dates to 1969. How old is this one you're looking at? Does it have chrome vents on the front of the engine side covers? At least around here, that would be a lot of money for a 2000 lb cap hard tire lift of that vintage, don't know about out there. Mine is STD shift (F for friction in model #), is that one auto? That is the main thing I would worry about. Little flat head Continental 4 cyl, good engines. I did brakes on mine, not a big deal. Hopefully one of the fork lift guru's will chime in with better info.

Attachments

• 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 3,806
The C20B was one of the best models Clark built. The trans. was good and simple. I would first get beside the truck and grab the front leg of the drivers guard and give it a good shake sideways to see how bad the body rocks on the differential housing to determine if the bushings under the mast saddles have worn into the housing? If this is worn -walk away as it is too costly to repair.Also be sure the transmission is not leaking oil at the bell houising as you gut the truck out to replace the converter seal. 2K is pretty steep for a truck that old-I would think 800 to 1250 would be generous. Just my .02 cents after 40 yrs. in the industry

Thanx guys. exactly the stuff I was looking for.
J...the ad was very vague and I have not received an answer to those same questions. But it looks to be quite a bit smaller than yours, and the mast is certainly shorter;
Clarke forklift
I'm wondering if the vagueness is in hope that some dumbazz like me that dont know what questions to ask just jumps on it...hahaha.

Big...thats great info. Can you see those bushings at all?

You really can't see them from the top- they are a 1/8" thick bronze faced steel back bushing that is fixed to the differential housing. You can look under the truck with a flashlite and see how much gap there is on the trunnion ring that goes around the housing that is part of the mast ring as to the gap that will show up on the bottom if it is wearing down thru the housing. As mentioned before- if the truck body rocks back and forth,They are usually shot.

Well, I never heard back from the guy on this the first time and the ad expired. But its back up again. this time I got a response. it is supposedly from the 80's, manual, and has no leaks whatsoever (really???). I'm going to look at it tomorrow.
Being a manual, is a worn clutch a typical reason for selling due to high cost of replacement?
And as far as transport, there's no reason I cant transport this with a heavy duty car trailer, is there? I'm guessing one this small don't weigh more than 4 or 5k.

If this is a Clark and is a std. trans. it should be a CF20 or 25 with shift levers on the column. If it is an older Clipper Mod. CE the Levers are on the floor and is not anywhere near the 80's. The CF is an easy one to replace the clutch and should be no problem getting the clutch parts. I would run the ser# by a Clark dealer to be sure of the year as if it turns out to be a CE it is way over priced and is still out of line for a CF Mod. I don't recall the CF being made in the 80's but I have beeen away from Clark since 97. It should be ok to haul on a 5k or better trailer.

I worked in the maintenance dept for a large Federal Mogul plant for years. We had a old Clark like that. Had the chrome vents on the sides and it was an auto trans. It was a great little lift. We would walk right past the new lifts and grab the Clark for any job that was in its weight range. Management kept trying to get us to get rid of it because it was so old but we refused to part with it.

Well, I guess this guy dont really know what he got (but I dont really know any more than him), this definately seems to be an automatic and not manual like he stated. The serial number tag clearly states C20B, and there is a HYDRATORK information tag on it for trans fluid fill procedures, and only a gas and brake pedal. Forward/reverse and tilt levers on the column, and up/down lever on the dash.
It does in fact have the chrome grilles in front of the engine covers. Unfortunately, it wouldn't start when I got there (dead battery:rolleyes5:) so we weren't able to "test it out" like is ad said (I hate people like that:nutter:), but it was a nice 1 1/2 hour drive on a beautiful Sunday afternoon.
I did the shake test as Big recommended and there was just the slightest thump I could feel. Not really sure whats "too much" even for the limited use I will be giving it. I like the low mast, because I would be able to use it in my smaller garage, but then the 82" lift height is too low to reach the loft in my big garage.
So, now I just gotta decide how low I'm going to go on the offer, if I even make an offer (definately less than Bigs range mentioned above). If I get it great, if not, no loss as I see it. Thanx for your help so far, guys.:cheers:
does anyone have the capability to run the serial number for me?
C20B/440-393-160

The last 3 numbers in that number are the date stamp put on the plate by the dealer before delivery. 160 meaning Jan. 1960 which could be right? he is only off by 20 years!

You may outgrow 2000 lbs very very quickly. I would give serious consideration to a 4000-5000 machine specially if you have 8' clearance. Unless you are going to drive it on the flat check how well it goes uphill and how well it breaks downhill. The hydro seals on the back wheels steering are a major expense to replace (I suppose on your model as well) -- check that there are absolutely leak free. Good luck.

" The hydro seals on the back wheels steering are a major expense to replace"
Aint such a thing- just standard steering- no power on that old of a machine.Just a large diameter hand powered wheel.

I emailed Clark my serial number, and they emailed me a copy of the line card. Pretty interesting, as my lift was shipped with a full cab, which explained a few strange things, but added questions too. Like , what happened to the cab? I thought the chrome vents were a little later than 1960, although they seem to be all done by about 1970-71. Mine has power steering, not integral to the box, but a hyd cyl on the linkage.

Back