What's new
What's new

Looking for Myford MG12 specific information

Zahnrad Kopf

Diamond
Was not sure if this was a "general" or "abrasive machining" only post, so deferred to "general", here.

Latest acquisition was an older Myford MG12. This one is VERY old. I am going to guess at late 1960's, early 1970's. Tail stock is missing in action, but I've sourced a replacement already. ( more on that later ) Pardon the pictures. The machine was situated in a spot that for whatever reason was playing havoc with my iPhone's camera. Too bright... too dark... too bright... too dark... too... you get the idea...

Anyway, I am unable to find a model and serial number tag, so can't really be certain of anything as yet, but I'm pretty sure it's a MG12-M. For reasons soon revealed, I did not actually measure the wheel and am now left wondering if it is a 10" or 12". I believe it is a 12" but just can't say with any real certainty.

Previous owner had installed some odd, small compound with a mini turret, had diamonds installed in the bores, and was using the assemblage as a crude ( or maybe not ... ) angle dresser. Evidently, it was set up for one job and one job only.

I am unfamiliar with the M's. Only know the HPM's. So, it is not clear to me if there actually is or is not supposed to be some manner of hydraulic unit alongside ( or inside? ) this old girl. The front side door holds and reveals an imposing electrical box.

The commonly referred to Myford brochure is of little help.

Here are the ( bad ) pics - LINKY

As an aside ( but still Myford Grinder related ), whatever happened to Nick Mueller? Attempts to contact him over the last year ( or more ) have been unfruitful.

All in all, I cannot complain overmuch. It will arrive in a week ( just a few miles down the road, but neither of us has time at the moment ) and then the cleaning and adjustments can begin. The reason I didn't worry overmuch about the details is that even if I end up scrapping it I will still make 2X my money back. At 1400 Lbs., I'll let you do the math... :)

I know very little about Myford MG's but from what I have gleaned over the years I would say that you have an early MG12M ,pretty sure not an MG9 ,they look different altogether. It seems from what I have seen, that the basic machine did not have hydraulics in the body but had a separate hydraulic unit ,I guess that there wouldn't be much difference between a hand operated machine and a hydraulic machine that had lost it's power unit. The change from 10" to 12" came in 70 apparently but the machines appearance seems similar.

By the way Zahnrad ,I thought you already had an MG12?

Regarding Nick Mueller ,I think someone mentioned he has not been well ,but stopped posting as he disagreed with the scraping and rebuilding forum.

I know very little about Myford MG's but from what I have gleaned over the years I would say that you have an early MG12M ,pretty sure not an MG9 ,they look different altogether. It seems from what I have seen, that the basic machine did not have hydraulics in the body but had a separate hydraulic unit ,I guess that there wouldn't be much difference between a hand operated machine and a hydraulic machine that had lost it's power unit. The change from 10" to 12" came in 70 apparently but the machines appearance seems similar.

Yes. This matches my own understanding of things, as well. My question is then, did the MG12-M have any hydraulics at all? My unfamiliarity with it means that I am not sure if they just did not have hydraulic traverse, or whether they lacked hydraulic traverse AND hydraulic work wheel rapid feed and retract. I simply just do not know... If they lacked the feed/retract ability, then there would be no use of having a hydraulic pump unit. Thus, I can be fairly comfident that this one never had one. However...

By the way Zahnrad ,I thought you already had an MG12?

I've been using a MG12-HPM for years. I LOVE that machine. It's a wonderful little machine that is more accurate than I thought possible in a little cylindrical grinder and very user friendly, to boot. Unfortunately, its Rightful Owner needs it back and so I've been on the lookout for a replacement for a long time. In all honesty, I don't use the hydraulic traverse, spark out cycles, or any of the automated stuff due to our work being such small quantities ( prototypes ) so don't need to spend the stupid money that people seem wont to pay for those other machines. I've always said a MG12-M would suit me just fine. And then I tripped across this... :)

Regarding Nick Mueller ,I think someone mentioned he has not been well ,but stopped posting as he disagreed with the scraping and rebuilding forum.

That really sucks. He has a lot of great ideas and did some really neat things. Shame. Still, I have reached out to him a small number of times over the last year or more and never even heard so much as a "verpiss dich". So, I got a little concerned about the illness rumor. Wish he'd resurface.

Myford MG12

Was not sure if this was a "general" or "abrasive machining" only post, so deferred to "general", here.

Latest acquisition was an older Myford MG12. This one is VERY old. I am going to guess at late 1960's, early 1970's. Tail stock is missing in action, but I've sourced a replacement already. ( more on that later ) Pardon the pictures. The machine was situated in a spot that for whatever reason was playing havoc with my iPhone's camera. Too bright... too dark... too bright... too dark... too... you get the idea...

Anyway, I am unable to find a model and serial number tag, so can't really be certain of anything as yet, but I'm pretty sure it's a MG12-M. For reasons soon revealed, I did not actually measure the wheel and am now left wondering if it is a 10" or 12". I believe it is a 12" but just can't say with any real certainty.

Previous owner had installed some odd, small compound with a mini turret, had diamonds installed in the bores, and was using the assemblage as a crude ( or maybe not ... ) angle dresser. Evidently, it was set up for one job and one job only.

I am unfamiliar with the M's. Only know the HPM's. So, it is not clear to me if there actually is or is not supposed to be some manner of hydraulic unit alongside ( or inside? ) this old girl. The front side door holds and reveals an imposing electrical box.

The commonly referred to Myford brochure is of little help.

Here are the ( bad ) pics - LINKY

As an aside ( but still Myford Grinder related ), whatever happened to Nick Mueller? Attempts to contact him over the last year ( or more ) have been unfruitful.

All in all, I cannot complain overmuch. It will arrive in a week ( just a few miles down the road, but neither of us has time at the moment ) and then the cleaning and adjustments can begin. The reason I didn't worry overmuch about the details is that even if I end up scrapping it I will still make 2X my money back. At 1400 Lbs., I'll let you do the math... :)
Looking at the pictures you have an early MG12 from the 1960's this is a purely manual machine with a 10" dia wheel capacity.
All M model machines start from 1980 onwards. The M stands for Metric build as all these machines have a metric feed screw , with dials in Imperial or Metric to suit the customer.
Hope this helps!

Looking at the pictures you have an early MG12 from the 1960's this is a purely manual machine with a 10" dia wheel capacity.
All M model machines start from 1980 onwards. The M stands for Metric build as all these machines have a metric feed screw , with dials in Imperial or Metric to suit the customer.
Hope this helps!

Interesting info, Jubilee mac. Thank you. Out of curiosity, what is the give-away that it bears a 10" wheel? I am curious of how to discern.

Myford MG12

Interesting info, Jubilee mac. Thank you. Out of curiosity, what is the give-away that it bears a 10" wheel? I am curious of how to discern.

The design of the wheelhead is totally different on the 12" machines. All the 12" machines have two cast lugs on the top which is where the swing-down internal locates, plus they have a fabricated wheel guard, not a cast iron wheel guard like yours. Plus other aspects.

The design of the wheelhead is totally different on the 12" machines. All the 12" machines have two cast lugs on the top which is where the swing-down internal locates, plus they have a fabricated wheel guard, not a cast iron wheel guard like yours. Plus other aspects.

Jubilee mac - I don't mean to sound like I am debating your points. I am not. I am, however, a bit confused. You say the later models, "... have a fabricated wheel guard, not a cast iron wheel guard..." Is that a hard and fast rule? I ask, because I've a HPM that has a decidedly cast wheel guard. This is the one with all the bells and whistles, save for full CNC, and has the double ears, too.

So, the bottom line here is that I will need a 10" wheel, and not a 12" one.

Thanks!

Back