What's new
What's new

Looking for a new pinch bar

MCritchley

Stainless
We are looking for a new pinch bar. Something that i can pry up a corner of a several ton machine with.

Has anyone purchased a new one recently, any recommendations? I was thinking about buying one 60" inches long.

We are looking for a new pinch bar. Something that i can pry up a corner of a several ton machine with.

Has anyone purchased a new one recently, any recommendations? I was thinking about buying one 60" inches long.

i use pry bars all different lengths and machine jacks mostly cause a jack you can raise and your hands are free to insert shims. pry bars are more for side ways prying. usually one handed prybar use and using other hand to insert shim you are limited
i find big prybar often is awkward and gets in the way especially if only need a smaller prybar. i use smaller prybars 10 times more than bigger ones

Zoro sells one about that long for under $40. Made by True Temper but I'm not sure of the actual quality.
EDIT: Looks like Amazon does also under the AME's brand

Can lend you our Big Johnson, if you need. Have to wonder about the suitability though and think you may be better off with a toe jack. I can bounce on the very end of our Johnson bar and barely even wiggle the 9,500 Lb. turning center. On the other hand, it had no problem under the Haas. :rolleyes5:

Stop by if you need it.

Nose bars - Here - Eastern Rigging Supply - Pry Bars & Nose Bars

I have the 66" flare nose and am glad I do. Several riggers that have been here have expressed admiration for it and wished that they had flare nose bars instead of straight bars. I did without for years now I wouldn't be without one. The 66" is a handful to carry one handed, not sure if I would go up to the 72" or not if I had to choose again. The saleswoman at Eastern said the 60" bar is their best seller because it fits in riggers' job boxes.

My biggest machines are too big to raise with a bar, but once they are on skates this bar is great for nudging it along, just turn it upside down.

Forged "Heeled pinch end" from McMaster Carr.... cost about 200 bucks but worth every penny...had one for decades. Makes the typical pry bar from a building supply store seem like a joke.

https://www.mcmaster.com/pry-bars

Click "pry bars" then look for style E

Nose bars - Here - Eastern Rigging Supply - Pry Bars & Nose Bars

I have the 66" flare nose and am glad I do. Several riggers that have been here have expressed admiration for it and wished that they had flare nose bars instead of straight bars. I did without for years now I wouldn't be without one. The 66" is a handful to carry one handed, not sure if I would go up to the 72" or not if I had to choose again. The saleswoman at Eastern said the 60" bar is their best seller because it fits in riggers' job boxes.

My biggest machines are too big to raise with a bar, but once they are on skates this bar is great for nudging it along, just turn it upside down.

Great thanks,

Thats exactly what i was looking for!

Can lend you our Big Johnson, if you need. Have to wonder about the suitability though and think you may be better off with a toe jack. I can bounce on the very end of our Johnson bar and barely even wiggle the 9,500 Lb. turning center. On the other hand, it had no problem under the Haas. :rolleyes5:

Stop by if you need it.

I appreciate the offer,we do already have a Johnson bar. I checked the capacity of the Johnson, its around 3,500 lb. Id say your doing good with the Hass!

Nothing stopping you from taking the hardware store $20 one, and heating
it up and hammering what you want.

That seems like an odd end. Doesn't the machine like to slip off?

Style B is what I like.
Paying attention to how far in it will go before lifting..not really. Seems like style B would tend to want to "roll over to one side or the other" when lifting ?

I took a bar, and welded a little piece (about 1 1/4" long) of 1/2" round
rod, about 1 1/2" back from the nose, on the bottom.

Works great.

These things ain't Hi-tech people.

Cut & weld, heat & beat to your hearts content.

The main advice is to several different kinds.

Back