What's new
What's new

Looking For Ø 80 mm Chuck

kvid

Plastic
I am building a precise CNC lathe in my basement and sooner or later I will need to get a Ø 80 mm chuck (DIN-6350).

There are couple of models available out there:

- Fuerda cast iron chuck - 65€ - Not really considering buying it after I watched the review on YouTube and the runout turned out to be 0.1mm.
- Bison steel chuck - 230€ - Seems reasonably priced, people on the forum seem to have mixed opinions about Bison chucks. I am not sure if it's made in Poland or People's Republic.
- Roehm steel chuck - 303€ - As I was told, these are the best chucks out there regarding quality. I just wonder if it is any better than 70€ cheaper Bison steel chuck.
- Zentra steel chuck - 195€ - Zentra is a German company, but I am not sure where their chucks are made. Haven't found any review of their chucks on the forum. I would be pissed off if I buy it and later find out that it is just a rebranded Vertex or Fuerda chuck. Please type down below if you have any experience with the brand.

I am inclining toward Roehm or Bison, but if there is any other brand of the same or better quality out there worth considering please enlighten me.

I use the Swiss-made type JF chucks on my small lathes. Maprox-Catalogue-EN-Nov16.pdf - Google Drive Maprox (Zweifel) JF & ZF Chucks

Bani and Reishauer are also Swiss chuck makers.

Larry
JF/Maprox are really good stuff. I've seen Bani that were clearly rebranded JF but they might have made some of their own. Reishauer unfortunately doesn't make chucks anymore, which is a shame because they were some of the very best.

We had an Arowa in one shop that was just silly accurate, like using nice collets, but don't know if they do down to 80mm.

As no 3 jaw chuck is particularly accurate and if you want an accurate part it will have to be made in a single setup, it means it doesn't really matter which chuck you get. The Maprox are lovely little things but really are only are for very light and fine work and cost a small fortune. I have one for my Schaublin 102 and use it frequently but wouldn't want it for an only means of work holding. Just pick up a cheap Chinese chuck and spend the extra money elsewhere. I would suggest considering going with 5C collets (or B32 if you happen to find a set for cheap) rather than or in addition to a chuck as they are far more accurate, don't mark up parts and are just nicer to work with for small work. You could also go with ER40 which reduces the number of collets you need but they are really for tool holding, not work holding and have some issues there but would be fine so long as the stock goes all the way through them.

Luke

FN-Neiderhauser is the current Swiss manufacturer of System Reishauer (RHU) Chucks, the smallest of which is 125mm.

The do make an 80mm spiral scroll type though.

FN-Neiderhauser hand operated lathe chucks

Not Cheap.

That 80 mm 3-jaw is on page 12 of the catalog. It is adjustable for runout, using the three tapered screw system that Pratt Burnerd called Set-Tru. That makes it the smallest adjustable chuck I have seen. So, no problem holding parts accurately with that 3-jaw.

Larry

Back