Looking for power feed
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Looking for power feed

I know it is a bit of an oxymoron, but looking for some inexpensive power feed for my Bridgeport. Preferably something that is fairly easy to install. I have mechanical skills, but don't want to have to completly disassemble the carriage to install it. I just need the cross feed, not looking for an elaborate DRO or 3 axis power feed. The unit is not going to be CAD or anything, just something to get a more uniform finish across long parts, and something that I don't have to be 100% hands on for making a part. Any ideas where to buy used or reconditioned?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

eBay? There appear to be dozens available most in the $200-$400 range but some used ones for cheap.

-DU-

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Servo is a popular brand around here. Easy to install without any modifications to the machine. On a bridegport the X-axis aka longitudinal feed (left to right) is thrust loaded on the left side of the machine. So, remove the right side handle and bearing bracket. Slip on the power feed unit using the mounting holes for the old bearing bracket. Been a while since I did one of these but seems like there are some shim washers or a bushing you may have to fit to the lead screw but it was very simple and straight forward. Don't let the name fool you. It is not a servo motor such as used in CNC. It is just a brand name. The common problem used to be the large gear in the bottom of the unit is plastic and driven by a steel gear. This arrangement did not like heavy loads and the plastic gear teeth would shear off but it was easy to replace. I do not know if it still uses this gear arrangement anymore or not. We have phased out these and added CNC retrofits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

David, perhaps I should elaborate, I am not very sure about what fits what in this hobby/industry. I am new to machining and have seen ebay label stuff with tag phrases of equipment that it won't even fit...just to get people to look at it. I guess I should have asked what kits would fit the BP...I would hate to pay 300 for something and have it not fit....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a servo 150 on my BP jhead it came on it works great but i can say if you look up servo brand you will have sticker shock 500-700 worth Iv never used a genaric but ther a lot cheaper and look to be biult off of the servo design look in enco catolge at looks/ price

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Check data in The B.port Dept. here more data than you will want..
    Gw